National Broadband - is this amazing leadership, electioneering or a corrupt waste of tax - what do you think?

The NBP as is currently proposed looks like a bad deal for the tax payers

• Yes

Votes: 25 73.5%
  • No

Votes: 9 26.5%

• Total voters

Orbit v2

It is expensive and whether its worth doing depends on whether you benefit or not. Its not possible to operate a competitive business without reliable internet connection so I don't see an alternative.
Well, I'm not benefiting. I already have fibre from Eir. I will be as sick as a parrot if something like Metro link gets cancelled because of this though.

I agree that decent broadband is needed everywhere. I just think we've rushed this and in time Eir would eventually have covered most of the country. So, I think it is worth having - just we are paying over the odds for it.

Disillusioned democrat

Well, I'm not benefiting. I already have fibre from Eir. I will be as sick as a parrot if something like Metro link gets cancelled because of this though.

I agree that decent broadband is needed everywhere. I just think we've rushed this and in time Eir would eventually have covered most of the country. So, I think it is worth having - just we are paying over the odds for it.
I think you're correct, but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that was part of the plan - imagine if Eir rolled out to 80 - 90% of the population with no subvention? Now, of course, they'll have no incentive to do so.

The urgency reeks of a desperate bid to make sure €3bn had to be spent on an ever changing consortium, that amazingly included Actavo when the dust settled.

Orbit v2

The problem is that for the decade (and longer) that this and previous governments have been promising national broadband coverage, they were promising something that could not be delivered .. until only a few years ago, with the advent of fibre. It was simply impossible to cover the country with DSL as you would have needed roadside cabinets every few hundred metres. Eir only started experimenting with fibre 5-6 years ago. So, it's only in the last 4 years say that it became apparent that 100% coverage was technically feasible. So, unfortunately the government are being held to all the older broken promises and are forced to write this enormous cheque.

Fact is also, that Eir have miscalculated. They thought they could torpedo the project with their last minute offer. Also, the wireless isps like Imagine possibly haven't given up yet either. They could still throw a spanner in the works.

wombat

I agree that decent broadband is needed everywhere. I just think we've rushed this and in time Eir would eventually have covered most of the country.
I live near a Dart line and have cable broadband so neither rural broadband nor Metro link are of any personal interest. I think Eir were well exposed when they were questioned about their alternative scheme - they'd get to most places eventually. When we talk about providing infrastructure in remote areas there will always be an argument that the cash would be better spent elsewhere.

wombat

Though it seems to annoy many in the media, people who live beyond the M50 are still allowed to vote.
The ex - culchies in the media are nearly as bitter towards those still living in country areas as the ex - catholics are toward those who still believe. No doubt its a form of madness, although there is probably a more PC description. :)

james toney

Last edited:
Last edited:
Just what Ireland needs.....another toothless tribunal.:rolleyes:

Round tower

Typical Dub, Ire. does not exist outside Dub., quick reliable broadband is as important and in a lot of cases in rural Ire. more important as the metro is to Dublin. The metro in Dublin will be of little use to the people in rural Ire.

hiding behind a poster

I think you're correct, but the conspiracy theorist in me wonders if that was part of the plan - imagine if Eir rolled out to 80 - 90% of the population with no subvention? Now, of course, they'll have no incentive to do so.

The urgency reeks of a desperate bid to make sure €3bn had to be spent on an ever changing consortium, that amazingly included Actavo when the dust settled.
Why is that amazing?

Orbit v2

It will be of little use to anyone in Dublin not served by the route. :)
Christ on a bike. And were you not the one who posted that amusing anecdote about electricity poles in the 1930's being referred to as someone's "maypoles"? Metro link is a first tentative step at a network which will serve the whole city; not just the people who live near it.

Disillusioned democrat

Why is that amazing?
Actavo aka Siteserv is the subject of a Judicial Inquiry...Denis O'Brien already found (even if official Ireland has forgotten) to have bribed a government Minister...you know...stuff like that.

Of course you'll cite legal arguments...but it's more the moral and ethical aspects that amaze me.

LISTOWEL MAN

ivan yates show last night was pretty good, i liked the broadband discussion but then Danny Healy Rae embarrassed himself by trying to justify drink driving

wombat

Metro link is a first tentative step at a network which will serve the whole city; not just the people who live near it.
You missed my point which is that parochialism is not confined to rural areas. Metro will be a hugely expensive project, many multiples of the cost of rural broadband and will take years to complete and will benefit only a portion of the population. Its a good example of how worthless a cost benefit analysis is when deciding on big infrastructure projects - Ardnacrusha made no financial sense when it was built.

Nermal

Metro will be a hugely expensive project, many multiples of the cost of rural broadband and will take years to complete and will benefit only a portion of the population.
It will benefit the whole population: it will allow Dublin to continue providing the tax revenue that pays for the rest of the country, with the honorable exception of Cork.

Disillusioned democrat

It will benefit the whole population: it will allow Dublin to continue providing the tax revenue that pays for the rest of the country, with the honorable exception of Cork.
What I find most disappointing about the NB plan is that there's been no proactive planning around the potential to do just that - take commuters off the roads, reduce road building projects, develop employment hubs around the initial delivery locations, etc.

The government have taken a very "Field of Dreams" approach - "If you build it, he will come" - to the benefits...almost as if they don't want to be judged by the success of the project.

Emily Davison

The OP asked some questions.

- I think it's excellent leadership to have made this decision, something badly needed and to be welcomed by everybody particularly people and business in rural Ireland
- The OP has failed to demonstrate a corporate waste of tax
- Similarly has failed to demonstrate this as electioneering, politicians have made a political decision, isn't that their job, sure they will take credit for it in an election, so what.

As for the poll, with 72% stating it's a bad deal for taxpayers, have posters demonstrated why and given figures on how this could be done in a better way financially for the taxpayer.

wombat

As for the poll, with 72% stating it's a bad deal for taxpayers, have posters demonstrated why and given figures on how this could be done in a better way financially for the taxpayer.
Obviously, people voting in an online survey already have internet access. :)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom