National Gallery of Ireland asked to take down 'anti-semitic' painting

flavirostris

There's an article in the ST today about the NGI being asked to take down a painting by the German painter Emil Nolde because it appears to feature an anti-semitic trope.

The painting, which is called 'Martyrdom II' depicts what appears to be a couple of hook-nosed characters laughing at the crucifixion.

Emil Nolde was a nazi sympathiser but ironically found his work banned by the NSDAP because it was considered modern 'degenerate' art. The Nazis favoured classicism.

The article says that some members of the public complained about the painting being anti-semitic but they are not named.

I don't think NGI should take down the painting, as it's bowing to censorship and would be against freedom of expression. Someone may start complaining that any art depicting the crucifixion is anti-semitic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/national-gallery-of-ireland-in-crossfire-over-emil-noldes-anti-semitic-crucifixion-art-95ppl27bb

Analyzer

Dublin City Council flew a flag of the Palestinian Authority, which is a regime that routinely and aggressively advocates anti-Jewish vitrol.

Not a word of concern from the "left".

In fact the left in DCC were behind the decision.

Wascuirto has a thread on the PA, and it's ruthless and continual campaign of vicious hatred of Jewish people.

Silence from the PC brigade.

I have no problem with the removal of the painting. In fact I agree with it being removed.

The same applies to the morons in DCC flying bthe flag of a regime that hate as the central basis of much of what it is about, the PA.

GDPR

I think he was more of a German Nationalist than a Nazi, he was never a card carrying member of the NSDAP.

Sync

I mean it probably is?

The guy was an anti-semite nazi wannabe. The NGI decided to put on his show anyway. Their call.

GDPR

I think he was more of a German Nationalist than a Nazi, he was never a card carrying member of the NSDAP.

He was a card-carrying member of the NASDAP, you amadaun. Ironically, he was also the artist most confiscated by them, when they turned against Modernism.

Analyzer

I mean it probably is?

The guy was an anti-semite nazi wannabe. The NGI decided to put on his show anyway. Their call.
To be honest, the individual that they are sneering, is also Jewish. In fact he is descended from King David, of the Jews, who gave the Jewish people their flag.

Does nobody have empathy for the victim ? [ who happens to be Jewish ].

GDPR

It is interesting that he was given the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany by the American set-up in Germany in either the late 40s or 50s yet he is considered too "Nazi" for Dublin today.

flavirostris

The Guardian dosen't like Emil Nolde's work anyway. The article refers to 'the fear and loathing in Nolde's art being directed at antisemitic Jewish characters'.

Sync

The Guardian dosen't like Emil Nolde's work anyway. The article refers to 'the fear and loathing in Nolde's art being directed at antisemitic Jewish characters'.
Right. But in this painting that's exactly what's happening. It's anti-semitic. He was an anti-semite. That doesn't mean his work didn't have impact or should be hidden away.

You can watch Triumph of the Will and appreciate the film making and effectiveness of it without sympathising with it's goals.

silverharp

ive seen more artisitic display hanging on the rails in merrion square

Analyzer

I am waiting on the Guardian to review the anti-Jewish vitrol in a certain holy book written in Arabia in the 8 th century, based on a plagiarism that occurred of the Old Testament in the 6th century. The vitrol was necessary because the owners of the original may have needed to be wiped out, so that the evidence could be eliminated with them.

GDPR

Oh f*uck off. The Guardian article says

This terrific modern visionary is demonic in every sense. We should never stop looking into his distorting mirror where the extremes of imagination and hate can both be seen and the wound of modern history will never heal.

https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2018/feb/12/emil-nolde-review-national-gallery-ireland-dublin

fat finger

There's an article in the ST today about the NGI being asked to take down a painting by the German painter Emil Nolde because it appears to feature an anti-semitic trope.

The painting, which is called 'Martyrdom II' depicts what appears to be a couple of hook-nosed characters laughing at the crucifixion.

Emil Nolde was a nazi sympathiser but ironically found his work banned by the NSDAP because it was considered modern 'degenerate' art. The Nazis favoured classicism.

The article says that some members of the public complained about the painting being anti-semitic but they are not named.

I don't think NGI should take down the painting, as it's bowing to censorship and would be against freedom of expression. Someone may start complaining that any art depicting the crucifixion is anti-semitic.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/ireland/national-gallery-of-ireland-in-crossfire-over-emil-noldes-anti-semitic-crucifixion-art-95ppl27bb

There are times in life when we have to be comfortable with anti-semitic sentiments. This week for example we saw the king of the largest semite country in the world visit Britain and meet the Queen of England, Head of the Church of England, a woman called by baptism, as we all are, to bear witness to Christ in our daily life, in whatever way we can, as each opportunity arises. The semite king will be aware as a muslim, that Christ is considered a prophet by muslims, but not divine, and yet the actions of the Saudi state, its authorities and religious police, show that in Saudi Arabia at any rate Christ is seen as the devil incarnate, how else can you interpret the ban on any Christian material being brought into the country, take in some rosary beads and a gospel or a crucifix and they will have you detained or even gaoled, hardly the actions of people who revere Christ as a prophet, so when I see a picture of two hook nosed semites laughing at the crucifixion, I do not demand it be taken down for expressing anti Christian sentiment, I urge it to be left up so people can acknowledge the extent of anti-Christian hate still in the world today, and remember that there really are out there semites who hate Christ and all he stands for

Last edited:

Wascurito

What would we say to an exhibition of anti-Irish images?

flavirostris

Yes Punch magazine had anti-Irish caricatures. Should an exhibition of that material be banned? Absolutely not.

wombat

We would probably allow it although some would complain that it would cause anti English feelings.:lol:

GDPR

Yes Punch magazine had anti-Irish caricatures. Should an exhibition of that material be banned? Absolutely not.
Has the Nolde exhibition been banned?

You were caught out lying about what the Guardian actually said in their review, so I cant trust your information.

Karloff

They were masterpieces in the area of 'irony'.

The Irish peasant robbing the English landowners.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies