National Gallery of Ireland asked to take down 'anti-semitic' painting

parentheses

Jesus' Jewishness is usually forgotten/ignored by Christian antisemities. (The ranks of Christian antisemites might include most Christians through the ages to be honest.) Some German Christians argued Jesus was Aryan, not Jewish. Even non-antisemitic Christians would think that Jews who rejected Christianity lost their status as God's special people.

It may be odd how people reconcile worshiping a Jew with antisemitism, but it is a fact that the passion story has been given an antisemitic interpretation frequently.

I thought the traditional attitude of the Christian authorities was anti-Judaic rather than racial anti-semitism as practised by the Nazis.

GDPR

But they hated his work. Degenerate modern art, which they would have ironically considered 'Jew' art.
Late to the party? Still reading the Guardian review you extracted one quote from?

The Guardian defended him as an important artist. Admit it, you had never heard him before reading a bit of click bait in the ST petunia

flavirostris

Yes they did, but not because of his anti-Semitism, they hated his art because it was too modern in style.
Quite an achievement to produce degenerate, modern jewish art which was also anti-semitic.

GDPR

He was a card carrying member of the NSDAP.
He wasn't though. He was a card carrying member of a small Danish group some of who's members sympathized with the NSDAP. Are you going to declare Fianna Fail Nazi due to Charles Bewley?

Strawberry

He wasn't though. He was a card carrying member of a small Danish group some of who's members sympathized with the NSDAP. Are you going to declare Fianna Fail Nazi due to Charles Bewley?
If a Fianna Fáil artist was painting anti-Semitic tropes, and also showed political sympathies with the Nazis then yes I would declare that Fianna Fáiler a Nazi. Bad example for you to pick really, because in my book any excuse is good enough to insult Fianna Fáil.

Karloff

Late to the party? Still reading the Guardian review you extracted one quote from?

The Guardian defended him as an important artist. Admit it, you had never heard him before reading a bit of click bait in the ST petunia
Jonathon Jones would defend any art so long as the important condition was met, that being that the artist doesn't know how to paint very well.

PeacefulViking

I think that you are confusing the racial and the sectarian element of anti-semitism.

Also Jesus of Nazareth was providing a serious problem to the manner in which certain elements were running religion for the benefit of themselves in terms of both power and money, in his era.

There is nothing unsual in this tendency towards belief based self-aggrandizement, and the tendency to turn a belief into a racket. Just look at Jimmy Swagart or the Mormon founder Joseph Smith.
Indeed there is racial antisemitism and non-racist hostility to Judaism. The latter could make perfect logical sense for a Christian, while simultaneously acknowledging that Jesus was Jewish. But I believe in practice the purely religious hostility has tended to take on racist aspects as well. Eg, see the hostility and suspicion facing Christians with Jewish ancestry in many cases.

Telstar 62

If Mel Gibson gets wind of that, he'll definitely buy it and take it
off the Nat. Gallery's hands....;)

Karloff

What is your opinion of Nolde? Have you got one?
There is no detail in the work and he doesn't care about shadow, light or scale but the colour in some of it is pretty.

But the colour in a puddle with a bit of petrol added is also pretty.

stopdoingstuff

Art is art. Get over it. None of the genteel visitors to the National Gallery want to enslave the Jews. They already hire Asians to do all their menial work anyway.

GDPR

There is no detail in the work and he doesn't care about shadow, light or scale but the colour in some of it is pretty.

But the colour in a puddle with a bit of petrol added is also pretty.
You have only explained what your own taste is. Pure c19 classicist.

wombat

I can see why people object but I'm more amazed its considered a good painting

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
Heh. Gladstone was fond of wandering Piccadilly in order to find a maid he could save from temptation.

On more than one memorable occasion he was known to remain closeted alone with a maid he'd found for some hours.

Nice of him all the same to put so much energy into it all.

PeacefulViking

I thought the traditional attitude of the Christian authorities was anti-Judaic rather than racial anti-semitism as practised by the Nazis.
Well, take something like the Limpieza_de_sangre-laws in Spain. Even when similar laws were not enacted I think having Jewish ancestry would be seen as negative by most Christians through history.

New Threads

Most Replies