National Gallery reopened

I see that the National Gallery reopened this month after extensive renovation which took some years.

Has anyone visited it since the reopening? Any views?

RTE noted the occasion with a documentary this week "Portrait of a Gallery", which seems to have gone down well:

Portrait of a Gallery review: a brilliant piece of art criticism

A visit will be a highlight of my next trip home.

Deadlock

I saw the TV program. Amazing renovation and restoration.

There was a particularly heart wrenching part where the wet Irish winter inundated the building before the new roof was completed.

I saw the TV program. Amazing renovation and restoration.

There was a particularly heart wrenching part where the wet Irish winter inundated the building before the new roof was completed.
There was an amazing sight in the programme: that of a workman in those elegant surroundings taking a pick-axe to the parquet floor.

amsterdemmetje

Looks fantastic ,missed the doco im sure its on the real player. Im going to make it my business to go see it next time im in Dublin.

amsterdemmetje

Myself and the family were in the Rijksmuseum last year and that was closed for 10 years of renovations. It is without doubt one of the finest buildings and gallery's in the world.

users

If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping in there, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the National Library, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the National Museum, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the Natural History Museum, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the Natural concert Hall, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy the Abbey Theatre, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin, like.

I'll be off work in August, so the Vermeer Exhibition is on the "Bucket & Spade" list!
Yup. You couldn't get to see that when it was in Paris. It should be easier in the NGI.

Time was when I worked in ESB and could pop in to the gallery a couple of times a week at lunchtime.

Mitsui2

Myself and the family were in the Rijksmuseum last year and that was closed for 10 years of renovations. It is without doubt one of the finest buildings and gallery's in the world.
The BBC did a great documentary on that restoration that was broadcast to coincide with the reopening. They had to hoist Rembrandt's Night Watch in through the roof with a giant crane!

If I remember properly an appreciable part of the delay was caused by the fact that the original plans did away with the situation where there was a cycle lane running right underneath the gallery. There was such a national outcry about doing away with this that they had to re-design the plans to make sure it was retained.

Deadlock

There was an amazing sight in the programme: that of a workman in those elegant surroundings taking a pick-axe to the parquet floor.
It was also amazing when the workers took down partitions that had been erected over huge windows - either to maximise hanging space or protect exhibits from light damage - and see the light flooding in again after who knows how many years.

publicrealm

Yup. You couldn't get to see that when it was in Paris. It should be easier in the NGI.

Time was when I worked in ESB and could pop in to the gallery a couple of times a week at lunchtime.
ESB has just moved from Fitzwilliam St. - place is being demolished and redeveloped - will take several years.

gatsbygirl20

Yes, I have visited twice.

It is stunningly impressive--as you enter there is a whole new section--the sheer height and the flooding light are very impressive

Everyone is raving about a sort of Dermot Bannon connecting glass atrium or corridor, but the glass roof is already attracting bird poo I notice.

One amazing thing: in most museums the walls are white, or neutral.

But here the walls have been painted bold shades of deep moss green, crimson, etc

And it really, really works to show off the paintings.

In general the pictures are grouped and showcased to great advantage.

There is a Jack B Yeats section...A portrait gallery.

A splendid stained glass room:--Harry Clarke, Evie Hone etc..

The whole thing is a great achievement...joy-bringing...free of charge...something to be proud of.

sethjem7

Yeah, looking forward to it, enjoyed going there before the renovation. I hope they kept the creaking floor boards.

Deadlock

What was also very impressive was to see what can't be seen by the public. The engineering works controlling humidity, air conditioning, heating etc.

Cellachán Chaisil

Was there last Saturday week during the fabulous weather. Fantastic. Notable the amount of fifty euro notes thrown into the suggested donation box.

gatsbygirl20

Not to go off topic, Des--and thank you for this thread--but I always loved the Musée de Cluny---now called thé Musée du Moyen Âge, with its beautiful tapestries, La Dame a la Licorne, etc

gatsbygirl20

If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping in there, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the National Library, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the National Museum, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the Natural History Museum, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy popping into the Natural concert Hall, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin I'd probably enjoy the Abbey Theatre, now and again.
If I was living in Dublin, like.
You forgot the Chester Beatty--there are wonderful free tours given by volunteers. And the Silk Road cafe as you enter is great for lunch

Marsh's Library is also worth a visit

The National Library is indeed a wonderful building--mentioned in Ulysses. It has a permanent Yeats exhibition downstairs. Very restful. You can sit and listen to poetry being read by recorded voices.

Summer is here so there will be lunchtime concerts in the Concert Hall every Tuesday--another lovely building

Go on, move to Dublin. You know you want to.

Schuhart

A splendid stained glass room:--Harry Clarke, Evie Hone etc..
That stuck with me - really nice space. That, and the Irish portrait gallery part, which I found really made me think about the paths of each of those people (Noel Browne, Gaybo, Graham Norton as well as more historical figures) that includes them having their image hung there
The National Library is indeed a wonderful building--mentioned in Ulysses. It has a permanent Yeats exhibition downstairs. Very restful. You can sit and listen to poetry being read by recorded voices.
Its another very good exhibit. I wandering in, expecting just a couple of books in glass cases. Very imaginative and expansive exhibition.

New Threads

Most Replies