National Trust backs down in controversy over LGBT Pride badges

Wascurito

The National Trust has done a U-turn on a decision to ban volunteers who refused to wear a rainbow Pride badges from customer facing roles.

Volunteers at the 400 year old Felbrigg Hall in East Anglia were asked to wear a lanyard or badge with a rainbow flag when interacting with guests. The temporary addition to the National Trust uniform was part of the Prejudice and Pride campaign marking 50 years since the passing of the Sexual Offences Act, which partially decriminalised homosexuality in England and Wales.

However, some of the 350 volunteers who were asked to wear the badges declined and were then assigned duties away from the public. Today, the National Trust issued a statement saying that wearing of the rainbow badges would be "optional".

The Guardian: National Trust reverses decision on gay pride badges

Catalpast

The National Trust has done a U-turn on a decision to ban volunteers who refused to wear a rainbow Pride badges from customer facing roles.

Volunteers at the 400 year old Felbrigg Hall in East Anglia were asked to wear a lanyard or badge with a rainbow flag when interacting with guests. The temporary addition to the National Trust uniform was part of the Prejudice and Pride campaign marking 50 years since the passing of the Sexual Offences Act, which partially decriminalised homosexuality in England and Wales.

However, some of the 350 volunteers who were asked to wear the badges declined and were then assigned duties away from the public. Today, the National Trust issued a statement saying that wearing of the rainbow badges would be "optional".

The Guardian: National Trust reverses decision on gay pride badges
Good for them!:D

To Hell with the Brave New World....:evil:

GDPR

Good thing too. I was so annoyed I was going to write to the National Trust. Shame, NT.

People should not be forced to wear badges of any sort. Just say this was the anniversary and place of the Tory Party's founding and everyone was forced to wear Tory stuff.

There should be freedom of choice.

silverharp

the sky news consensus was that they arent forced to be there so they can fck off if they dont comply

Wascurito

Good for them!:D

To Hell with the Brave New World....:evil:
No-one should be forced to wear a badge or symbol they feel uncomfortable with.

Of course, Catalpast, you'd be just as supportive of a pro-choice volunteer refusing to wear an anti-abortion badge at e.g. a religious or political event, wouldn't you?

Wascurito

the sky news consensus was that they arent forced to be there so they can fck off if they dont comply
I don't know what you saw but on Thursday night, there were two LGBT folks on debating this and disagreeing vociferously with each other. One of them felt that coercing people like that was akin to fascism.

Catalpast

No-one should be forced to wear a badge or symbol they feel uncomfortable with.

Of course, Catalpast, you'd be just as supportive of a pro-choice volunteer refusing to wear an anti-abortion badge at e.g. a religious or political event, wouldn't you?
100% of course

Catalpast

I don't know what you saw but on Thursday night, there were two LGBT folks on debating this and disagreeing vociferously with each other. One of them felt that coercing people like that was akin to fascism.
It is

silverharp

probably the breakfast slot, good to see there was some discussion. you could argue either way but on pure utility why lose volunteers for something that doesnt matter.

Wascurito

probably the breakfast slot, good to see there was some discussion. you could argue either way but on pure utility why lose volunteers for something that doesnt matter.
It's the kind of thing that could cause them to lose volunteers and I'm sure they don't have too many going spare.

asset test

Jayziz they are VOLUNTEERS fgs, not employees under a contract to wear certain clothing or symbols.

No wonder the National Trust backtracked sharpish or they would have no one at the NT properties working for free.

Where would it stop anyway, badges for every fecking anniversary. Stupid idea in the first place. Donkeys have more brains.

Mick Mac

I suspect people who supported wearing such badges were involved in telling the British NT to get lost since who would be on board with meekly following orders in something totally unrelated to what you volunteerd for just cause some paycheck progressive decided to deploy you as a pawn or the marketing Dept. Wanted you to jump

Sync

I'd certainly agree with the latter viewpoint. There's a difference between expecting people to follow the law on equality (a requirement for every role) and demanding they espouse a political view which is what wearing the badge is. Can't be having that.

Levellers

You won't hear anything about freedom of choice when the poppyfest starts later in the year.

Mick Mac

I'd certainly agree with the latter viewpoint. There's a difference between expecting people to follow the law on equality (a requirement for every role) and demanding they espouse a political view which is what wearing the badge is. Can't be having that.
But only in some instances would the geniuses who decided this suggest/ask people to wear that badge.

Like, they ain't giving out badges at the free Ibrahim rallies and they would not even think about it because sometimes you don't have to be on message and other times you do. Critically, it depends on who you are.

Sync

You won't hear anything about freedom of choice when the poppyfest starts later in the year.
That a different conversation. I can't recall anyone being sacked or threatened with the sack for not wearing a poppy. It's more a (pretty insidious) cultural pressure of tut-tutting people who don't do it.

GDPR

That a different conversation. I can't recall anyone being sacked or threatened with the sack for not wearing a poppy. It's more a (pretty insidious) cultural pressure of tut-tutting people who don't do it.
It's pretty easy to ignore the tut tuts, but if it's your employer or organisation you are volunteering your services, then that's a different matter. I think the NT made a very bad decision to insist on the wearing of lanyards etc. And it has led to an embarrassing climb down. I do not doubt that a few NT members have cancelled their membership already.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies