Nationalism in the USA

TaxHavenSite

A 13 year old boy was banned from having the u.s. flag in a school,since it was offending other students. Hundreds of people rode with the kid to school,in protest,and most where waving around U.S. flags.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U2hB-Pz4zs]YouTube - Hundreds ride with boy to show support for his U.S.-flag-decorated bike after school banned it[/ame]

A school is supposed to be a learning environment,where people shouldn't be subjected to the brainwashing of nationalism. I believe this also shows how low intelligence many in the United States are,since they are in love with a Flag.

martino

I thought they kicked off each school day there with a pledge to the flag, no?

pujols

I believe this also shows how low intelligence many in the United States are,since they are in love with a Flag.
Are you for real?

Just as I think that there should be a right to flag burning as a form of political expression, similarly I think there is a corollary right to display and respect the flag.

How can you possibly infer that someone is of low intelligence from either position?

This is the second time I have seen you take a cheap shot at the US; last time you accused the US Government of censorship as there no Romanian songs played on US radio and no ads for tourism in Romania on US TV.

What is your agenda?

Old Mr Grouser

Do you not love your country too?
In this instance the question is "Which country?".

The US took California from Mexico in 1848.

Since then, slowly but surely the "Mexicans" (mostly the descendants of North America's indigenous native population) have been quietly taking it back.

"For while the tired waves vainly breaking
Seem here no painful inch to gain,
Far back, through creeks and inlets making,
Comes silent, flooding in, the main."

redhead101

The video tells us nothing about background, which leads me to suspect it is little or nothing to do with a school banning a US flag. Any schools I have ever seen in the US have flags in the public areas, if not in the classrooms.

TaxHavenSite

Are you for real?

Just as I think that there should be a right to flag burning as a form of political expression, similarly I think there is a corollary right to display and respect the flag.

How can you possibly infer that someone is of low intelligence from either position?

This is the second time I have seen you take a cheap shot at the US; last time you accused the US Government of censorship as there no Romanian songs played on US radio and no ads for tourism in Romania on US TV.

What is your agenda?
But Americans tend to be "in love" with the American flag, Its just a flag.

ne0ica

The video tells us nothing about background, which leads me to suspect it is little or nothing to do with a school banning a US flag. Any schools I have ever seen in the US have flags in the public areas, if not in the classrooms.
There was a similar story a few months back in Arizona where students were banned from wearing sweaters/t-shirts etc with the America flag as it was alleged that it was being used to intimidate Hispanics. Of course before you could blink twice fox news and the America Right were waving their flags.

Goober

What’s strange about the whole event was the school’s superintendent had said the boy was told to remove the flag out of concerns for his safety. But now the school will allow him to fly it again.

So I guess either the reason they originally offered is a downright lie, or the school suddenly isn’t concerned about the boy’s safety.

Old Mr Grouser

What’s strange about the whole event was the school’s superintendent had said the boy was told to remove the flag out of concerns for his safety. But now the school will allow him to fly it again.

So I guess either the reason they originally offered is a downright lie, or the school suddenly isn’t concerned about the boy’s safety.
The school had brought in a ban on all flags because of tensions between groups of students.

Some students had US flags, others had Mexican flags.

Telemachus

Website
en.wikipedia.org
The school had brought in a ban on all flags because of tensions between groups of students.

Some students had US flags, others had Mexican flags.

You can have diversity and freedom, but you will have no security.
You can have diversity and security, but you will have no freedom.
You can have freedom and security, but you will have no diversity.

From VFR.

imokyrok

There was a similar story a few months back in Arizona where students were banned from wearing sweaters/t-shirts etc with the America flag as it was alleged that it was being used to intimidate Hispanics. Of course before you could blink twice fox news and the America Right were waving their flags.
Arizona also tried to ban ethnic studies in schools recently. Apparently knowing about your heritage is no longer considered American enough! I imagine the school was attempting to lessen tension between ethnic groups in their school and it back fired on them. It's seems to be very ugly over there especially since the emergence of the Tea Party.

Ó Donnchadha

Most of the guys on Motorcycles are part of the Patriot guard. Quite a few are Nam vets.

The Patriot guard was started to counter the Westboro Baptist church cult, who were going to the funerals of dead US soldiers, and hassling the families, by waving signs that read, "God hates fags" and "Thank God for IED's" What that has to do with soldiers, I know not.

The role the Patriot guard plays, is as follows. They attend the funeral and form a Phalynx around the funeral with their motorcycles and American flags to shield the families from the Westboro hecklers.

The Patriot guard does good work. Home

Now here is the actual website of the counter group, the Westboro Protestant Church

Westboro Baptist Church Home Page Warning the name of the Westboro site is Godhatesfags.

sadly it is a real site. So point being, these guys on the motorcycles were doing a good thing for the kid and his family. God Bless them

msteiner

A 13 year old boy was banned from having the u.s. flag in a school,since it was offending other students. Hundreds of people rode with the kid to school,in protest,and most where waving around U.S. flags.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6U2hB-Pz4zs]YouTube - Hundreds ride with boy to show support for his U.S.-flag-decorated bike after school banned it[/ame]

A school is supposed to be a learning environment,where people shouldn't be subjected to the brainwashing of nationalism. I believe this also shows how low intelligence many in the United States are,since they are in love with a Flag.
Don't EVER call my country STUPID.

Tiocfaidh_Armani

Don't EVER call my country STUPID.
It's a common misconception that Americans are stupid. Perhaps a little ignorant to the rest of the world but isn't every country. They just don't see it and highlight America because it's the biggest (in terms of economy) and perhaps best.

I do find the constant overt nationalism a little off putting but there's nothing wrong with pride in your country. The Irish could learn from America.

myhonorisloyalty666

What's the hell is your problem?
The boy is a citizen of the US so he has the right to wave the US flag on US soil.
In Ireland we wave the tricolor proudly. Every other country is exactly the same.
The Chilean miners wave their country's flag.
What is stupid about loving your country and being patriotic?
If you are living in a foreign country you respect the sovereignty of that country and respect its symbols and its people or else you get the hell out.

The Stars and Stripes are more than just a flag, they are a symbol of freedom around the world and it is a symbol of liberty that generations have fought and died for.

Last edited:
S

SeamusNapoleon

What's the hell is your problem?
The boy is a citizen of the US so he has the right to wave the US flag on US soil.
In Ireland we wave the tricolor proudly. Every other country is exactly the same.
The Chilean miners wave their country's flag.
What is stupid about loving your country and being patriotic?
If you are living in a foreign country you respect the sovereignty of that country and respect its symbols and its people or else you get the hell out.

The Stars and Stripes are more than just a flag, they are a symbol of freedom around the world and it is a symbol of liberty that generations have fought and died for.

The last one stands out ... I don't know why :rolleyes:

Popular Threads

Most Replies