• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Nationalist 'Silly Season' hopefully over

British Citizen

There's a little myth that does the rounds in Nationalist communities in Northern Ireland (another one, I know!) that normal, decent law-abiding Unionists go a bit doolally over The Twelfth and randomly attack, beat and murder catholics without provocation before returning to their usual mindset around July 13th/14th.

A few Nationalists I know like to refer to it as 'silly season'.

Let's have a look at this year's 'silly season' and see who really involves themselves in sectarian attacks in Northern Ireland:

29th June - Sectarian attack on protestant resident in Nationalist Dunclug estate.
BBC News - Sectarian motive in house attack

1st July - Three cricket facilities attacked in two week period in the North-West with similarities to the sectarian campaign which forced North of Ireland cricket club out of the Lower Ormeau area a few years ago.
BBC News - Vandals destroy two cricket pitches
UTV News - Vandals destroy cricket pitch

3rd July - Police attacked during west Belfast riot.
BBC News - Police attacked during west Belfast riot

5th July - Third night of rioting in Nationalist Donegall Road. KFC broken into and tills stolen.
UTV News - Third night of trouble in west Belfast

5th July - Fountain resident badly beaten by six men in sectarian attack in Derry.
Man, 40, was injured in serious sectarian attack - Londonderry Today

6th July - Petrol bomb attacks on Orange Halls in Rasharkin and Glarryford in County Antrim.
UTV News - Teen arrested over Orange Hall attacks

Here's how other attacks on Rasharkin Orange Hall have left the building. There have been ten attacks on the building in the last twelve months.

6th July - Paint bomb attack on Portglenone Orange Hall.
Orange Hall damaged in paint attack at Portglenone - Ballymena Today

6th July - Sectarian graffiti daubed on two separate Orange Halls in Portstewart.
Graffiti attack on Portstewart Orange halls - Coleraine Today

8th July - Sectarian attack on Glengormley community hall. The building was completely destroyed.
Community centre hit by arson ‘may have been mistaken for Orange hall’ - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

8th July - Sectarian attack on Limavady Orange Hall.
UTV News - Limavady Orange Hall attack 'sectarian'

10th July - Bomb targeting PSNI officers explodes in south Armagh.
UTV News - 'No warning' in south Armagh bomb attack

11th July - Paint bomb attack on Rasharkin Orange Hall followed by burglary hours later. Orange bannerette stolen during robbery.
Twelfth attacks on Rasharkin Orange Hall condemned - Ballymena Today

11th July - Bomb left in Rosslea in Fermanagh.
UTV News - Police investigate Fermanagh alert

11th July - PSNI car attacked with axe in Nationalist Dunclug estate in Ballymena.
UTV News - Police car attacked with axe

11th July - Widespread rioting in Nationalist areas. Shots fired at police in New Lodge, cars hijacked and petrol bombs thrown at Broadway and violence in Short Strand.
BBC News - Three officers shot during riots in Belfast

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krGj9o88CMs]YouTube - Riot on Broadway, Belfast 12 July 2010.flv[/ame]

11th July - Children at an 11th night street party in Twaddell Avenue (across from Ardoyne) threatened by armed man.
UTV News - Man 'pointed gun at children'

11th July - Car ploughs into crowd watching 11th July bonfire on Donegall Road before speeding off in direction of west Belfast.
Horror of bonfire hit-and-run - Belfast Today
UTV News - Seven injured after bonfire crash

12th July - Blast bomb intended for police found in Armagh.
UTV News - Armagh blast bomb 'meant for police'

12th July - Bus hijacked and left at Woodbourne PSNI station in west Belfast.
UTV News - Vehicles hijacked during security alert

12th July - Attempt to hijack and burn a train on the main Belfast-Dublin line at Lurgan. Also petrol bombs thrown at police.
UTV News - Trouble flares in Lurgan

12th July - Heavy rioting in Ardoyne area. Attempts made to attack protestant homes in upper Ardoyne.
Anger and frustration after a spate of thuggery in Ardoyne - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpPzhPN8pSE]YouTube - Ardoyne Riots July 12th Belfast 2010[/ame]

12th July - Concrete slab dropped on female police officer from roof of shop in Ardoyne.
BBC News - Father of injured policewoman says she could have died

12th July - Car hijacked and burnt on Killyleagh Road in Armagh.
UTV News - Trouble flares in Lurgan

12th July - Nationalists paintbomb an Orange Hall in the village of Crumlin.
Vandals target Orange hall - Belfast Today
BBC News - Paint bomb attack on Orange hall

13th July - Further rioting and shots fired in Ardoyne.
In Pictures: Shots fired at police in third night of violence in Belfast - Local & National, News - Belfasttelegraph.co.uk

13th July - Bomb hoax at west Belfast shopping centre.
UTV News - West Belfast alert declared a hoax

13th July - Five shots fired at police car in Derry.
BBC News - Derry rioting 'among worst in decade'

13th July - Petrol bomb thrown from Short Strand at passing car on Albertbridge Road.
BBC News - Teen held after trouble in east Belfast released

14th July - Petrol bombs thrown at passing police car in the Bogside in Derry.
BBC News - Petrol bomb attack in Londonderry

14th July - Coffee jar bomb found in Highbury Gardens in Ardoyne.
BBC News - Coffee jar bomb found in Belfast

Hopefully things will die down over the next few days and protestants in Northern Ireland can get on with their lives without worrying about getting attacked.

Silly season indeed.

just4ever

The pot just made a highly racist insinuation about the kettle.

Paisley_Buddy

:mad:

A wee lad in a pram was hit by that damned car FFS.

Seeing it in a photo just chrystallises how heinous that was. And a "community representative" comes on the telly and says that everyone accepts it was an accident and sure the driver was just lost.

Fkn evil.

luckyfrank

One could easily find the same amount of attacks by loyalists in the same period

What is the point to this thread ?

Republicans are bad Loyalists are bad we know this why recycle the same s/hit time and time again

I'ts time to move on the NI forum has to be the only forum on P.ie that never ever has a happy story

Cruimh

One could easily find the same amount of attacks by loyalists in the same period

What is the point to this thread ?

Republicans are bad Loyalists are bad we know this why recycle the same s/hit time and time again
It would be a huge step forward if nationalists would admit that their community is just as bad as the unionist community.

centauro

If it's that easy mate, go ahead. The problem is that ONH/IRA or whatever they choose to call themselves revel in sectarian violence, and have orchestrated most of this crap, hoping that the blame can be put on orange provocation.

just4ever

It would be a huge step forward if nationalists would admit that their community is just as bad as the unionist community.
For what it's worth republican violence disgusts me as much as unionist.

Risteard

Republicans are bad
True Republicans aren't bad. They are doing the right thing waging war against the British enemy.

May their attacks continue and their success grow.

eamonn_ie

:mad:

A wee lad in a pram was hit by that damned car FFS.

Seeing it in a photo just chrystallises how heinous that was. And a "community representative" comes on the telly and says that everyone accepts it was an accident and sure the driver was just lost.

Fkn evil.
I looked on both links provided and I couldn't find anything that linked this to Nationalists. I then checked the BBC and it tells me your own community worker Paula Bradshaw blames it on a teenager who got lost and who had no malicious intent. Could it be that perhaps at 1 in the morning on bonfire night one of the bonfire revellers decided to go for a drive while drunk? I dunno I've no evidence for that but you have no evidence either that this was Nationalists British Citizen.

TrueBlue84

True Republicans aren't bad. They are doing the right thing waging war against the British enemy.

Keyboard warrior scum

Risteard

Whatever you want yourself.

You're just scum.

Cael

In this case, that would be some kind of false "liberalism." In the particular case of the OO march past Ardoyne, the Nationalists ARE NOT just as bad. The OO can go by a different route, with no great inconvenience - but they choose to provoke instead.

Cael

they were peace bombs,
Well, if Gerry and Marty ordered them to be set off (they would be too cowardly to do it themselves), then they MUST have been bombs-of-peace-and-Unionist-outreach.

TrueBlue84

Whatever you want yourself.

You're just scum.
It is you and your disso loving scumbag associates who are the scum. You have no mandate you have nothing but hatred to give. Why dont you just go away

slippy wicket

Thats a disgraceful attitude, and shows how far some people have to come to be a part of a normal functioning society

British Citizen

I looked on both links provided and I couldn't find anything that linked this to Nationalists. I then checked the BBC and it tells me your own community worker Paula Bradshaw blames it on a teenager who got lost and who had no malicious intent. Could it be that perhaps at 1 in the morning on bonfire night one of the bonfire revellers decided to go for a drive while drunk? I dunno I've no evidence for that but you have no evidence either that this was Nationalists British Citizen.
I like Paula but she's wrong here.

Everyone else at the bonfire who witnessed the attempted murder and other Unionist politicians and community workers have said they are certain it was a sectarian attack.

The car slowed down and then sped up again. It then escaped in the direction of Broadway where Nationalist rioters had been attacking the police and local businesses.

It was a sectarian attack and attempted murder.

No doubt some the culprit will have a mural painted of him in 20 or 40 years time on the Falls Road....

Portstewart

In this case, that would be some kind of false "liberalism." In the particular case of the OO march past Ardoyne, the Nationalists ARE NOT just as bad. The OO can go by a different route, with no great inconvenience - but they choose to provoke instead.
And the renowned bastians of tolerance and ecumenism that are the people of Ardyone could have ignored some people briefly walking past the periphery of 'their area'. :rolleyes:

British Citizen

Where?

How can they get from Ballysillan to Belfast city centre without passing a Nationalist area?

More lies.