Nationalists Stop Orange Parade in Newtowngore

Schomberg

One of the most potentially explosive situations regarding a serious outbreak of public disorder ever to have occurred in County Leitrim took place on Monday, 12th July 1931 in the village of Newtowngore. On that day local Orangemen from Leitrim and adjoining counties had planned a massive 12th of July celebration in Newtowngore. It was to have been the first Orange demonstration in Connaught since 1897 and thousands of Orangemen with their bands were expected to descend on the village. From the outset, Nationalists in Leitrim were determined to prevent the march going ahead, and in a show of unity the bitterest of political rivals in 26 county politics – Cumman na nGaelheal and Fianna Fail – buried their differences to form an united front to stop the Orangemen coming to Newtowngore.
Nationalists Stop Orange Parade in Newtowngore | Dublin & Wicklow L.O.L. 1313

borntorum

1931. Wow. Whoever claimed that Orangemen live in the past?

Schomberg

borntorum

Well, what did you expect in the history section ?
What other fascinating historical research can we expect from Schomberg? "Papish horse breaks wind in vicinity of Queen Victoria"?

Schomberg

What other fascinating historical research can we expect from Schomberg? "Papish horse breaks wind in vicinity of Queen Victoria"?
ah boredom...without doubt probably the worst attempt at wit I've seen so far on P.ie

I do think the title needs revision though....blood thirsty fenian rabble prevent Orange parade is far more apt and inkeeping with yer tradition :)

borntorum

ah boredom...without doubt probably the worst attempt at wit I've seen so far on P.ie
It mightn't be very funny, but at least I didn't intend it to be taken seriously, unlike this joke of a thread.

Schomberg

It mightn't be very funny, but at least I didn't intend it to be taken seriously, unlike this joke of a thread.
oh thou almighty all-seeing boredom please enlighten us philistines as to how a historical subject is a joke in the history section of a discussion forum...we await your enlightened wisdom to shine upon us all. Amen.

Honestly, and in all seriousness, I can't wait for your answer to this...I expect nothing less than your usual wibbling nonsense...please don't disappoint.

S

SeamusNapoleon

Are we all allowed start new threads with just links and no introductory comment of our own with the intention of showing up the intolerance of the 'other side'..?

Scipio

This is indeed the History form. However, as far I can see, Schomberg has posted an OP, from a valid but obviously biased source, with no commentary whatsoever or idea as to what should be debated save, apparently, "evil Nationalists forbidding peaceful Orangemen exercising their civil rights".

In other words, let's get another puerile dispute between Orange and Green going.

borntorum

oh thou almighty all-seeing boredom please enlighten us philistines as to how a historical subject is a joke in the history section of a discussion forum...we await your enlightened wisdom to shine upon us all. Amen.

Honestly, and in all seriousness, I can't wait for your answer to this...I expect nothing less than your usual wibbling nonsense...please don't disappoint.
Because this is the History section. Some sort of analysis or extrapolation or commentary or explanation would be nice. You seem to think it's another current affairs section for those (like yourself) stuck in the first half of the 20th century

borntorum

This is indeed the History form. However, as far I can see, Schomberg has posted an OP, from a valid but obviously biased source, with no commentary whatsoever or idea as to what should be debated save, apparently, "evil Nationalists forbidding peaceful Orangemen exercising their civil rights".

In other words, let's get another puerile dispute between Orange and Green going.
That's his MO. He's a mendacious troll who starts infantile topics like this and then whinges that he's being oppressed by the fenians when people criticise him.

Schomberg

Scipio, that's a load of balls. Sorry mate, but it is. I don't know what you expect, but you're as biased as anyone on this forum. You're just far better than most at hiding it. This is a history section and I posted an article which I thought was an interesting read that deals with one of the very central problems in Ireland - the two traditions. An Orange parade was planned, stopped by republicans. You're very welcome to come back and give any evidence you've found which will highlight any inaccuracy in the article..I'd be very interested in hearing them :)

Scipio

Scipio, that's a load of balls. Sorry mate, but it is. I don't know what you expect, but you're as biased as anyone on this forum.
Of course I am. When one takes a position in any matter, "bias", in one way or another, is a neccessity.

That doesn't make your, or my, position any less valid though.

This is a history section and I posted an article which I thought was an interesting read that deals with one of the very central problems in Ireland - the two traditions. An Orange parade was planned, stopped by republicans. You're very welcome to come back and give any evidence you've found which will highlight any inaccuracy in the article..I'd be very interested in hearing them :)
I have no reason to believe that it's in any way inaccurate. But what exactly is the point of this?
To say Orangemen were viewed in a negative light in Ireland after independence?

I have no doubt that's correct. Where then does the thread go from here?

Schomberg

Here we have the famous bordeom inability to figure out what it is he's on about.

Because this is the History section.
Funny that. I thought that piece I posted was history? :lol:

Some sort of analysis or extrapolation or commentary or explanation would be nice.
It's all there in the article.

You seem to think it's another current affairs section for those (like yourself) stuck in the first half of the 20th century
:lol: again boredom..the h.i.s.t.o.r.y. section dummy

whats really going on here is nationalists can't stand this sort of stuff being brought up....nothing else...

Schomberg

I have no doubt that's correct. Where then does the thread go from here?
Scipio, come off it. Really.

Where does it go from here? I dunno..that's up to you I suppose. For me it's just one more example of the fact that our culture and our identity never had a place in this "new ireland". Just like my ancestors insisted it wouldn't. If there is to be a true reconciliation between orange and green then we need to address the past, convince ourselves it's never to be repeated and see how we can move forward.

You all seem to reveal in anything negative done to the roman catholic community on this island...but when the boots on the other foot ;)

S

SeamusNapoleon

For me it's just one more example of the fact that our culture and our identity never had a place in this "new ireland".
You put 'British' in capital letters for your location yet use the standard capital-for-the-first-letter-of-each-word system, including for 'Isles' which you have following 'British', everywhere else.

Maybe less obnoxiousness would mean less people p*ssed off at you.
Pissed off at you, personally, I mean.

meriwether

Serious question though Scipio - is the History section purely for debate ?

I posted about Niemba on another thread - not to start a debate but to commemorate and possibly inform.
At the very least, I think I should be let know why I should care about an orange parade being prevented from marching in 1931 in Leitrim.

At the moment, I'm struggling. All we have is an obtuse thread title ('Nationalists stop parade' which almost hints at a current affair incident) by a poster who must have the biggest persecution complex in the history of persecution complex.

I'm sure this is yet another 'we are so oppressed' followed by whe people disagree with him 'this is yet more oppression' thread. Infantile stuff, basically.

But a bit of context to let me know my initial suspicions were incorrect would have been helpful.

picador

This isn't history. It's Northern Ireland every summer. They do say history repeats itself but we northerners take the piss.

Now, how do I stop these feckers from marching through Newtowngore?

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies