Nato / INS mixed fleet in Cork Harbour.

evercloserunion

LOL!, That wording should raise the ire of the lefty/crusty/"I thought we woz neutral " amongst us!!!!!
I see we can't even go one post without switching to completely irrelevant leftie-bashing. Sad.

Anyway, cool photos. Why are the ships here?

gijoe

Anyway, cool photos. Why are the ships here?
They are the advance units for the coming IMF invasion. The 'shock troops' are deep in the belly of those ships. I could tell you more but then I would have to kill you. You heard it here first.........

Podolski1.5

Flotilla includes military ships from Germany, UK, Norway, Poland, Netherlands, Belgium. All of them NATO member states. Silly "crusty" comments from war lovers miss the point.

Libero

Flotilla includes military ships from Germany, UK, Norway, Poland, Netherlands, Belgium. All of them NATO member states.
Yes, we know that. But if they didn't sail there together, and won't sail out together, they're hardly a "flotilla" or "fleet", are they?

Podolski said:
Silly "crusty" comments from war lovers miss the point.
Ad hominem, you smelly hippie.

Podolski1.5

Yes, we know that. But if they didn't sail there together, and won't sail out together, they're hardly a "flotilla" or "fleet", are they?
That's strange because six of them are due to sail together at 10.00am next Tuesdaay, 26th October. The other two, (the Polish vessels), sail an hour earlier . Sounds like a flotilla.

If they took part in exercises together then they were part of a flotilla. The NATO Baltops 2010 exercises took place in the Baltic recently.

The Polish vessel Orp Czernicki took part in US led NATO operations in both the Iraqi and Afghan wars over the past few years.

Ad hominem, you smelly hippie.
Really, is this the highest level of debate you are capable of?

On a separate note, I see that one of the ships is named the Admiral Cowan, named after a British naval admiral but now operated by the Estonian Navy.

Murph

Wast this Nato fleet sent as a fact finding mission or advance party before the IMF?

myksav

Yeah, so? It's not as if we're at war with any of the countries that own these ships.

And any crew that got shore-leave spent money in Cork. A wee help to the economy. :)

cricket

What business would NATO ships have in Irish waters ?

myksav

maxthedog

That's strange because six of them are due to sail together at 10.00am next Tuesdaay, 26th October. The other two, (the Polish vessels), sail an hour earlier . Sounds like a flotilla Navy.
Sounds like ships taking advantage of the tide.

Clanrickard

Great to see. It would be great if this was the start of greater cooperation with NATO leading to membership of that organisation. Our sham neutrality would be confined to the dustbin of history and the crusties, lefties and hippies heads would explode with anger saving us millions on social welfare.

maxthedog

Sounds more like ships leaving after the Jazz Festival !!!
If you had the sailing time and drove down too the start of the Passage walk. You would watch them coming through the gap by Little Island. It would be a sight . 6 ships suddenly appearing a couple of hundred yards in front of you

myksav

Sounds like ships taking advantage of the tide.
Nah, that's a dropping tide then, it's more likely just getting a good run of daylight for the start of the movement.

Libero

Podolski said:
That's strange because six of them are due to sail together at 10.00am next Tuesdaay, 26th October. The other two, (the Polish vessels), sail an hour earlier . Sounds like a flotilla.

If they took part in exercises together then they were part of a flotilla.
Are they sailing to the same place together, or just leaving at the same time?

Personally, I've no problem with foreign navies visiting Ireland, be they South African, Brazilian, Chinese, Russian or European (and therefore NATO). But we should probably not have Ireland included at the tail-end of NATO exercises, if that's what's happening here.

New Threads

Most Replies