• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

Naval Service boss enjoys full support of Government

Mad as Fish

Is there any reason why we shouldn't have confidence in him?

Dame_Enda

I tnink we need a European Navy to better interdict drugs shipments. The Irish navy is hopelessly ill-resourced for the task of covering waters 10 times the size of this Republic. On the other hand, the activities of the European Navy within Irish waters should be under Irish control.

Anyway, the Left are too fond of military cutbacks so that adds to the argument I am making.

Dohville

Is there any reason why we shouldn't have confidence in him?

Show me another example where two members of the dail, without prompting have took it upon themselves to praise anyone in the Public sector, let alone the Defence Forces.

Mad as Fish

Show me another example where two members of the dail, without prompting have took it upon themselves to praise anyone in the Public sector, let alone the Defence Forces.
Ah ha, something dodgy going on?

rainmaker

Administrator
I tnink we need a European Navy to better interdict drugs shipments. The Irish navy is hopelessly ill-resourced for the task of covering waters 10 times the size of this Republic. On the other hand, the activities of the European Navy within Irish waters should be under Irish control.
You do not need to create a 'European Navy' for that.

Dohville

Ah ha, something dodgy going on?
Quite the opposite it seems (if you actually bother your arse to read the link). Opposition asks Minister about his plans to keep the Naval Service capable of doing its job. Minister says he has every intention of doing so.
Opposition tells minister what a great job Naval Service are doing, under its current leadership, and how impressed it was during recent visit.
Minister agrees wholeheartedly.

No tinfoil hat required. It is what it is.
It is however a kick in the nuts for Army Leadership, who rarely get such glowing praise from government. The men in green suits will not be impressed.

Dame_Enda

You do not need to create a 'European Navy' for that.
Well it's one way. The less duplication of resources the cheaper it will be, and one administration for naval defence is cheaper per capita than 27 different ones.

Last edited:

ruserious

Imerc is an example where the public service can create private industry employment. What a fantastic project it has been thus far, and is a reflection on the changing attitudes within the DF and more specifically, the NS.
With two new ships coming next year and the year after, it is exciting times for the NS. Let's hope they the Minister's praise shines off on the funding available to ensure a complete fleet replacement programme.
Also interesting to see the latest recruit class pass out. They are entering a very different navy to the one of yesteryear.

rainmaker

Administrator
Well it's one way. The less duplication of resources the chaper it will be, and one administration for naval defence is cheaper per capita than 27 different ones.
I can't see the major Naval powers of Europe surrendering command and control of their fleets to an EU authority.

I can't imagine an EU organization being as effective as NATO either.

ruserious

I can't see the major Naval powers of Europe surrendering command and control of their fleets to an EU authority.

I can't imagine an EU organization being as effective as NATO either.
It would never happen. Maybe some kind of joint efforts at fisheries etc, but not under the one force.
You can be sure, naval diplomacy will take off again as nations begin to try and boost economies abroad.

im axeled

a query folks, he has got praise for being good at what he does, but can we compare his renumeration with his opposite numbers in other countrys, just to see what bang are we getting our buck.

Dohville

It would never happen. Maybe some kind of joint efforts at fisheries etc, but not under the one force.
You can be sure, naval diplomacy will take off again as nations begin to try and boost economies abroad.

There is already such a thing to a certain extent, where the navies and coast guard/customs of the EU states on the Atlantic seaboard combine efforts to prevent smuggling.
However resources are an issue.
Unfortunately you can't make a profit intercepting smuggled narcotics.
It will cost you money to prevent the drugs getting on the street, and eventually save you money in policing the effects of the drugs trade, and on healthcare for the victims of illegal drugs.
The bigger picture is rarely appreciated though.

Dohville

a query folks, he has got praise for being good at what he does, but can we compare his renumeration with his opposite numbers in other countrys, just to see what bang are we getting our buck.

Off you go. Google is your friend.

ruserious

There is already such a thing to a certain extent, where the navies and coast guard/customs of the EU states on the Atlantic seaboard combine efforts to prevent smuggling.
However resources are an issue.
Unfortunately you can't make a profit intercepting smuggled narcotics.
It will cost you money to prevent the drugs getting on the street, and eventually save you money in policing the effects of the drugs trade, and on healthcare for the victims of illegal drugs.
The bigger picture is rarely appreciated though.
Sets him up nicely for a promotion to the big table me thinks.

Dohville

Sets him up nicely for a promotion to the big table me thinks.

To be fair the FOCNS is no different to any other of the current breed of officer in the Defence Forces. What has been achieved in recent years in the Naval Service would not have been possible without the support of open minded and forward thinking senior officers in the upper echelons of the defence Forces.
We have seen their calibre clearly in recent years with such men as Pat Nash, Dermot Early, and the Current CoS. Their priority is not to serve out the time till retirement but get the job done, keeping in mind what is best for both the State and the members of the organisation. The considerable saving and economies the Defence Forces have managed to make in recent years, while maintaining operational capacity at all times is only possible with the forward thinking of all senior officers in the defence forces.

Other Government departments and agencies could learn a lot from their example.