Nct-v-road quality/safety

eskerman

This is just an observation...!

By law we must have a valid NCT certification on cars over I think 3 years..? I have mixed opinions on this NCT requirement, but I accept it does provide a better standard for all older cars making them safer for road use.

We Joe Public-hard pressed motorists have to comply with the law, BUT what about the responsibility of local government-county councils-dept of transport to comply with providing safe roads. What laws are they breaking by not ensuring that as tax paying compliant motorists, VAT-VRT-ROAD TAX-NCT-TOLLS we have the most dangerous secondary roads in modern Europe.

I know this is a no brainer and that we are basically being screwed in every orifice, we are now in a much more serious fiscal situation and that means we will continue to see our secondary roads deteriorate much worse, and instead of seeing the 6 county council workers standing around the holes we will now see 4 of them filling that same hole that has been filled for years.
I say this as I have to fork out for a new wheel rim and tyre having hit a pothole, skidding into a ditch and with a car that has been tested and certified as road-worthy...!!

Do you understand my point...!!! Accountability.....:mad::mad::mad:

Wakeupcall

I drove from waterford through the midlands on friday. Oh my word. They were no potholes. They were meteor and asteroid impacts.

The front of my car left the road at one stage after hitting unmarked craters in the roads :(

eskerman

I drove from waterford through the midlands on friday. Oh my word. They were no potholes. They were meteor and asteroid impacts.

The front of my car left the road at one stage after hitting unmarked craters in the roads :(
I find the whole matter of regulation or lack of it in certain sectors bordering on criminal..our hard earned money is taken by direct and indirect and stealth tax ( I have no issue with paying tax ) as motorists and what have we got in exchange. Yes I acknowledge we have main arterial routes linking the main town's whilst we paid perhaps the highest price per KM for road building in Europe these are very much welcomed albeit tolled.

We now must be facing the reality that some of our so called A & B roads that are cris-crossed daily with people on business, selling business, delivering services etc all of which will have a tax take in some shape or other...these roads may become so dangerous, they will make the NCT look hypocritical as when one compares both are design to make road travel safer.

Motoring is a vital aspect of our economy as is broadband...now dont get me started on that Broadband..

Is it time for motorist's to come together and to refuse to pay certain aspects of motoring tax...NCT etc if the roads continue to become death traps.

The government needs to have an NCT test for the road network and I am sure many will be scrapped and deemed unusable.

AA and SIMI are toothless and of zero value to this economy...apart from traffic reports which we know will continue to grow worse

Harmonica

The local authorities are liable for damage where they have failed to maintain roads due to normal wear and tear.

Bot only are roads in poor condition but the design of some even new roads is shocking. The Mitchelstown bypass or relief road has a climbing (overtaking) lane which ends on the rest of a hill. Any one unfamiliar with the road might find himself on the other side of the road as the overtaking lane ends - it is difficult to see road markings on the crest of a hill.

charley

NCT has nothing to do with the roads which are in a terrible state, EU said we had to have car testing ,hence the nct ,its a private company the government gets the VAT off the test

Abrax

The NCT has sweet F all to do with car safety, it is now and always was a money making scheme/ extra tax on motorists. Now they plan to collect every year (in the name of safety of course :lol:). Have any of you ever seen a NCT being conducted? it is basically a glorified tyre kicking exercise that is usually over in less than five minutes.

charley

if you have no rattles in your car going in for an NCT you will have when it comes out

darkhorse

The Road Safety Authority would seem to have much more responsability in this area.
As their name implies they have responsability for safety on roads.
To date they have not published any standards or minimum recommendations on the safety of our road surfaces

The Road Safety Authority (RSA) is tasked with improving safety on our roads in order to reduce death and injury resulting from road collisions. The legal basis for the RSA is set out in the Road Safety Authority Act 2006. The RSA formally came into existence on 1st September 2006.

An objective of the RSA is to bring Ireland's road safety record into line with "best practice" countries throughout the World.

The achievement of this objective will involve cooperation with many stakeholders working in the area of road safety, including the Gardai, education sector, health sector,local authorities, National Roads Authority, the media and of course the general public

Road Safety Authority Home Page

The NCT is a scam. Something like the MOT in Britain, several certified garages able to do it, would be fine. Queuing for months to pay money to someone to fail you for one of the two windscreen washer nozzles not squirting adequately, thus having to queue and pay them over again, that's extortion. But typical of this dishonest, rip-off country.

charley

indicators not orange enough, number plates not the correct size, has anyone any figures on how many cars fail first time.?

eskerman

The Road Safety Authority would seem to have much more responsability in this area.
As their name implies they have responsability for safety on roads.
To date they have not published any standards or minimum recommendations on the safety of our road surfaces

Road Safety Authority Home Page
This is my point...we have such a transparent double standard here, I don't accept the NCT provides any value to motorists, nor does it make our cars any safer persay..when you look at the seriously dangerous road conditions we have to use. I think its been well proven that fatal accidents are rare on good roads/motorways.

The majority of fatalities are on those leathal B-Roads. (apart from the idiot boy-racers with there BOOM BOOM BASS boxes)

revereie

was stopped by the gardaí and RSA once ,all that was bothering them was that there was a tear in the passenger seat.
Sounds to me like you must be one dodgy mofo !

But seriously, and speaking as an owner of cars always purchased second-hand I happen to think its a good system. All cars are brought up to not just a passable standard but a good standard - and when buying a s-h car, you always ensure that the car has passed a recent NCT.

darkhorse

This is my point...we have such a transparent double standard here, I don't accept the NCT provides any value to motorists, nor does it make our cars any safer persay..when you look at the seriously dangerous road conditions we have to use. I think its been well proven that fatal accidents are rare on good roads/motorways.

The majority of fatalities are on those leathal B-Roads. (apart from the idiot boy-racers with there BOOM BOOM BASS boxes)
The NCT is just another quango with the right to extract money from the public for nothing in return.
There is very little evidence to show that faulty vehicles are a significant the cause of accidents.
If this was a factor, the insurance companies would have discovered this years ago and developed their own NCT equivalent.
If an insurance company is willing to take on the entire risk of the vehicle and the driver and all damage that may result - then the NCT has very little to add to the mix - apart from the annual fee to the motorist.

Half Nelson

vehicles that are more than 10-years-old will, from June 2012, have to undergo an annual test.
Sponsored by SIMI

maxthedog

The NCT was agreat idea and badly needed.

We are now reaping the benefits as less people are buying new cars and there is a good choice of decent second hands.

The test itself is robust and will quickly show up any faults in an old car.

People complain about the costs involved in keeping a car in good nick.

But considering the cost of finance on a new car . 50E once a year to keep your own car in good shape is a bargain

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies