• Before posting anything about COVID-19, READ THIS FIRST! COVID-19 and Misinformation (UPDATED)
    Misinformation and/or conspiracy theories about this topic, even if intended as humor, will not be tolerated!

Patslatt1

Last edited:
Last edited:
Bloomberg news "Prognosis" today reported very disturbing news about Covid cases:
"The first time (lockdown) it’s a novelty. The second time, people know what they’re in for and are less willing to take another hit. The virus is exposing socio-economic fault-lines: it’s harder to stay home with a head cold if you work casual shifts for minimum wage and can’t afford to miss a few days. Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews said that when police door-knocked 500 people confirmed as positive on Thursday, one in four weren’t at home. "
I assume the Australian welfare state provides enough income support for those in quarantine,so the behaviour of those one in four is extremely selfish and criminal in fact.
It wouldn't surprise me if lockdowns have to be reimposed in Ireland as my casual observation of pubs and restaurants in Dublin sees many groups sitting about a metre apart,too close for a prolonged time together.
There was an infamous historic case of an Irish woman in New York City called Typhoid Mary, an asymtomatic carrier of the disease who spread it to numerous people by violating quarantine. Eventually,she was quarantined in solitary confinement for life. Let's hope the potential Covid Marys and Paddys among us can be sent a clear message by publicity of a few jailings in solitary confinement as their behaviour is unlikely to be deterred by fines. The Irish judiciary is extremely reluctant to give jail sentences but should realise the necessity for this in the pandemic.

Politics matters

Bloomberg news "Prognosis" today reported very disturbing news about Covid cases:
"The first time (lockdown) it’s a novelty. The second time, people know what they’re in for and are less willing to take another hit. The virus is exposing socio-economic fault-lines: it’s harder to stay home with a head cold if you work casual shifts for minimum wage and can’t afford to miss a few days. Victoria state Premier Daniel Andrews said that when police door-knocked 500 people confirmed as positive on Thursday, one in four weren’t at home. "
I assume the Australian welfare state provides enough income support for those in quarantine,so the behaviour of those one in four is extremely selfish and criminal in fact.
It wouldn't surprise me if lockdowns have to be reimposed in Ireland as my casual observation of pubs and restaurants in Dublin sees many groups sitting about a metre apart,too close for a prolonged time together.
There was an infamous historic case of an Irish woman in New York City called Typhoid Mary, an asymtomatic carrier of the disease who spread it to numerous people by violating quarantine. Eventually,she was quarantined in solitary confinement for life. Let's hope the potential Covid Marys and Paddys among us can be sent a clear message by publicity of a few jailings in solitary confinement as their behaviour is unlikely to be deterred by fines. The Irish judiciary is extremely reluctant to give jail sentences but should realise the necessity for this in the pandemic.
It could be the conduct of greedy employers, such as yourself who might be putting pressure on employees to report to work.

Patslatt1

It could be the conduct of greedy employers, such as yourself who might be putting pressure on employees to report to work.
Employers don't want their worforces to be ill, although some caused workplace contagion by refusing to spend money on precautionery measures.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

We are not told where the missing were later found. In hospital? At Doctor's? Staying with a relative? In a pub?
It would also help to know where new cases were found. Usually Dublin or Cork, but it would help to know where to avoid.

ShoutingIsLeadership

'I assume the Australian welfare state provides enough income support for those in quarantine,so the behaviour of those one in four is extremely selfish and criminal in fact.'

There was a time when OPs had to be researched

Patslatt1

We are not told where the missing were later found. In hospital? At Doctor's? Staying with a relative? In a pub?
It would also help to know where new cases were found. Usually Dublin or Cork, but it would help to know where to avoid.
In Offaly, a group of foreign workers were quarantined at their residence by the gardai after their meat plant employer had a wave of infections. I understand from a local that the group of about three or four staying in the same house had tested positive for Covid. As soon as the garda car departed, the group drove off for shopping. A neighbour or neighbours phoned the gardai and a guard responded that "We'll have to educate these people",which sounds a bit unserious.

Patslatt1

'I assume the Australian welfare state provides enough income support for those in quarantine,so the behaviour of those one in four is extremely selfish and criminal in fact.'

There was a time when OPs had to be researched
I will hire a research consultancy and in a few months time after they examine all the income supports and supplements, the research will be published and you will be contacted.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

Rules should be out there well in advance of any trip into the country. Visitors should be told about the 2 weeks quarantine and told they will receive minimum food, shelter, security, laundry and movies on tape for entertainment, all at a cost of say €100 per day for 14 days, payable in advance. The security part is to make sure they stay in their rooms. No pay, no entry. If I as an old lady have to cocoon, so do they. If I can do it, they can do it.

Uganda

Rules should be out there well in advance of any trip into the country. Visitors should be told about the 2 weeks quarantine and told they will receive minimum food, shelter, security, laundry and movies on tape for entertainment, all at a cost of say €100 per day for 14 days, payable in advance. The security part is to make sure they stay in their rooms. No pay, no entry. If I as an old lady have to cocoon, so do they. If I can do it, they can do it.
and all that effort to deal,with 1.6% of Covid cases.

and should the Covid payment tourists not be quarteentined In like manner?
or are the “most vulnerable” in our society to be allowed spread Covid with impunity?

Schmetterling

You might be getting a lot more for your money if they employ a security firm like the one in Melbourne!!

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

and all that effort to deal,with 1.6% of Covid cases.

and should the Covid payment tourists not be quarteentined In like manner?
or are the “most vulnerable” in our society to be allowed spread Covid with impunity?
Not much effort there if they use a hotel or motel.

1.6%, if that is the figure, is only the very beginning of community spread. Your 2nd sentence is gibberish. If you mean the idiots who won't wear masks and who congregate nose to nose in pubs and at parties, I don't have any ideas of what to do with them. As they lose their parents and grandparents and even their own children, they will learn an awful lesson. The guilt that they killed their own child because they were stubborn and stupid will be with them the rest of their lives.

gijoe

The 2020 Health Act already allows for the arrest and detention by Gardai of someone certified by a medical professional as requiring quarantining.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

And let me add that ones brothers and sisters will be the first to often remind you that you killed Nana and Papa.

Uganda

Not much effort there if they use a hotel or motel.

1.6%, if that is the figure, is only the very beginning of community spread. Your 2nd sentence is gibberish. If you mean the idiots who won't wear masks and who congregate nose to nose in pubs and at parties, I don't have any ideas of what to do with them. As they lose their parents and grandparents and even their own children, they will learn an awful lesson. The guilt that they killed their own child because they were stubborn and stupid will be with them the rest of their lives.
so quarantine all the truck drivers coming into the country? Smart thinking, that.

ah yes, focus on the 1.6%. Don’t worry about the 98.4%.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

so quarantine all the truck drivers coming into the country? Smart thinking, that.

We have to find different ways of doing things. Perhaps drivers that leave the truck at the border and a 2nd native driver takes over within the country...and then they switch back on the return trip. Neither would be quarantined in their own country.

Uganda

We have to find different ways of doing things. Perhaps drivers that leave the truck at the border and a 2nd native driver takes over within the country...and then they switch back on the return trip. Neither would be quarantined in their own country.
So a consignment going to Germany via the uk land bridge, would have one driver to drive the truck onto the ferry here. He would go to Holyhead, where another driver would take over, and drive the truck to Dover. At Calais another driver takes over and drives it to the German border, where another driver would take over. The same in reverse.......

so would the lad in Holyhead hang around there until the truck comes back 3 days later, and would he have to quarantine for 14 days on return here? If not how would the truck get across on the ferry?

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

So a consignment going to Germany via the uk land bridge, would have one driver to drive the truck onto the ferry here. He would go to Holyhead, where another driver would take over, and drive the truck to Dover. At Calais another driver takes over and drives it to the German border, where another driver would take over. The same in reverse.......

so would the lad in Holyhead hang around there until the truck comes back 3 days later, and would he have to quarantine for 14 days on return here? If not how would the truck get across on the ferry?
They'd work out a system. Humans can be quite clever when they need to be. Nothing to say there cannot be ferry-truck drivers as part of the ferry employees themselves. I'm sure they could have someone to drive a truck onto a ferry and then back off again on the opposite side. Just part of a day's work.

Mrs. Crotta Cliach

"Gardai break up massive party of 200 teens drinking with no social distancing in Dublin."

"The shocking discovery comes after widespread condemnation of a similar party in Kilkee in Co Clare."

If you learned your child was one of these party goers, would you let them back in the house?

Emily Davison

Mrs. Gove has an interesting take. Says she’s lived a good life and doesn’t see why the world should go bankrupt as she’s no issue with dying. I’ll see if I can find a link.

Meanwhile I collected my youngest back from a holiday in Spain. Told that people there have the masks around their necks in case a policeman sees them so they can pull it up to avoid the fines. Bbq’s, visitors, large family and friend meals. Teenagers including my own out having fun together.

Emily Davison

What if the truck started in NI to go to Dublin first, and instead of ending in Germany it went thru Luxembourg, across Switzerland into France thru the Mont Blanc tunnel into Italy to collect some Parma ham and Parmesan cheese while dropping off Kerrygold. My husband once caught a lift on a lorry to Italy. The ships have a separate canteen for the lorry drivers.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom