• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Nelson Mandela?


boldfenianman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,589
Nelson Mandela. I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero. London is hosting his ninetieth birthday celebrations with a free concert etc. Why? What exactly did he do that was such an achievment? Not just that he fought apartheid. Thousands did that and many died. I honestly cannot see what his contribution was apart from being apprehended while involved in some sort of terrorist plot and spending years in prison.
 


Bom

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
54
idaworldbeaters said:
Just read 'Long Walk to Freedom' or 'The Struggle is my life' (both by Nelson Mandela) and make up your own mind.
 

boldfenianman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,589
No. Why dont you just give me a sentence or two to answer my very simple question? So Nelson Mandela has written two books on his life which you appear to regard as infallible reference works. LOL. How about something heroic about him that he didnt actually write?
 

Bom

Member
Joined
Feb 7, 2008
Messages
54
Im already weary of you. Read what you like on him; his words, the words of others, the historical record as presented by reputable historians. Or just form opinions sourced in your own prejudices, or feelings in your water, or founded in some tribal ritual in which you indulge in an exploratory grope of the lumps on your skull, stir the tea leaves, chant your mantra to Odd for 15 minutes and thereby divine some sort of received 'Truth'.

But dont then try to hold me responsible for your ignorance. Thats all your own, gasar. Good luck with your ritual.
 

boldfenianman

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 28, 2007
Messages
1,589
God Bom you are so pathetic. You cannot answer a reasonable question save with insult. Absolutely no mature , considered reply at all. Sad , deluded creaure.
 

Eddie Collins

Well-known member
Joined
May 23, 2005
Messages
1,917
1. Mandela graciously accepted a handover of power from De Klerk and avoided Mugabe style massacres for a while.
2. He forgave his wife Winnie for her involvement in the abduction and murder of young boys including 14 year old Stompie Muketsi.
3. He recently broke his decades of silence and criticised Mugabe for the decades old Zimbabwe genocide.
4. That's it.
 

Thac0man

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 13, 2006
Messages
6,482
Twitter
twit taa woo
idaworldbeaters said:
I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero.
He managed to get a photo call with spice girls at the height of their popularity.

But seriously, he is old and we invest in him much (too much) credit. He is a heart a politician and has most of the flaws associated with that, we choose just not to see them. There is no harm in it, he is a lofty media icon and I do have respect for him. He is an accidental hero, but has played the role well. I suppose we have built up an the image of what we think an African leader should be, and in doing to set a bench mark for others up live to too (fat chance though). Mandela plays his part.

But he did block attempts by some in the ANC to remove referances by the Truth and Reconciliation commision to human rights violations carried out by a group he co-founded. That showed leadership and a degree of real commitment to reconsiliation. But he has been too quite on too many other issues.
 

White Horse

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 13, 2006
Messages
7,061
Eddie Collins said:
1. Mandela graciously accepted a handover of power from De Klerk and avoided Mugabe style massacres for a while.
You are right. The humility and graciousness towards his former adversaries sets him apart.
 

Aindriu

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 28, 2007
Messages
8,702
White Horse said:
[quote="Eddie Collins":34yo14xz]1. Mandela graciously accepted a handover of power from De Klerk and avoided Mugabe style massacres for a while.
You are right. The humility and graciousness towards his former adversaries sets him apart.[/quote:34yo14xz]
Especially when you recall how long he spent on Robin Island in virtual solitary.
 

drbob1972

Active member
Joined
May 1, 2007
Messages
257
idaworldbeaters said:
No. Why dont you just give me a sentence or two to answer my very simple question? So Nelson Mandela has written two books on his life which you appear to regard as infallible reference works. LOL. How about something heroic about him that he didnt actually write?
if your interested why not do some research your self ? there are ample articles on Mandela online (google has over 5 millon references to him), there is plenty of material out there that covers the less "heroic" aspects of his past as well. To be honest you come across like spoilt and lazy child whom wants to be spoon feed cos your to lazy to actually do something for yourself
 

john geraghty

Member
Joined
Jan 8, 2007
Messages
10
drbob1972 said:
idaworldbeaters said:
No. Why dont you just give me a sentence or two to answer my very simple question? So Nelson Mandela has written two books on his life which you appear to regard as infallible reference works. LOL. How about something heroic about him that he didnt actually write?
if your interested why not do some research your self ? there are ample articles on Mandela online (google has over 5 millon references to him), there is plenty of material out there that covers the less "heroic" aspects of his past as well. To be honest you come across like spoilt and lazy child whom wants to be spoon feed cos your to lazy to actually do something for yourself
Well said Dr Bob. I keep hearing the phrase "One mans terrorist..." with regards to Mandela on several forums. For Gods sake, he was fighting the second most racist system of government in the 20th century. If you weren't willing to stand up to a racist group of bullies like he did you are an absolute coward. The narrow mindedness of some people boggles the mind. There seems to be an overriding sense of "oh well, if it doesn't effect me".
 

lap yapmi

Member
Joined
Jan 21, 2007
Messages
13
idaworldbeaters said:
Nelson Mandela. I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero. London is hosting his ninetieth birthday celebrations with a free concert etc. Why? What exactly did he do that was such an achievment? Not just that he fought apartheid. Thousands did that and many died. I honestly cannot see what his contribution was apart from being apprehended while involved in some sort of terrorist plot and spending years in prison.

Well done. When I saw those sickening pictures of the liberals, the pseudo-liberals and the plain pseudos at Mandela's birthday party it struck me that this particular emperor has received far too much fawning. Why another act of public homage for his birthday anyway? Why can't he celebrate it like a normal person?

Actually it's not so much the old guy I find repulsive, it's the vast entourage of the super rich (Bono, Oprah W, Naomi Campbell (sick) sundry pop singers and actors, Mary Robinson etc.) who fawn on him. And it raises troubling questions about Mandela himself, that he seems to get off on such adulation rather than be with the poor and oppressed. He's happier with the super rich than in the townships.

The old guy may have his good points but he's not a saint. The South Africa he created is a crimeridden dump, where rich get richer and poor fester. Much of his "heroism" was something he had no control over--he was locked up in jail for a long time!

It's long past Mandela's sell-by date.
 

Rich OC

Well-known member
Joined
May 2, 2007
Messages
1,073
Website
www.twitter.com
Nelson Mandela

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
'nuff said
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
idaworldbeaters said:
Nelson Mandela. I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero. London is hosting his ninetieth birthday celebrations with a free concert etc. Why? What exactly did he do that was such an achievment? Not just that he fought apartheid. Thousands did that and many died. I honestly cannot see what his contribution was apart from being apprehended while involved in some sort of terrorist plot and spending years in prison.
He spent most of his life in prison, meaning he didn't get his hands dirty, so he was a hero of convenience, even though many who sing his praises would condemn the IRA and other groups that the ANC had links with. Also, people conveniently forget that the ANC had Mkonto Nsiswe, there are genuinely people who don't realise there was an armed struggle in South Africa. Also, black causes are seen by many as trendy.

Now don't get me wrong, I like Nelson Mandela and would have supported the ANC's cause (even if he would most likely be a member of FF were he Irish) but I do share your cynicism at how 'trendy' he became.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
arnold lane said:
idaworldbeaters said:
Nelson Mandela. I would be grateful if somebody could explain to me just why he is such a hero. London is hosting his ninetieth birthday celebrations with a free concert etc. Why? What exactly did he do that was such an achievment? Not just that he fought apartheid. Thousands did that and many died. I honestly cannot see what his contribution was apart from being apprehended while involved in some sort of terrorist plot and spending years in prison.

Well done. When I saw those sickening pictures of the liberals, the pseudo-liberals and the plain pseudos at Mandela's birthday party it struck me that this particular emperor has received far too much fawning. Why another act of public homage for his birthday anyway? Why can't he celebrate it like a normal person?

Actually it's not so much the old guy I find repulsive, it's the vast entourage of the super rich (Bono, Oprah W, Naomi Campbell (sick) sundry pop singers and actors, Mary Robinson etc.) who fawn on him. And it raises troubling questions about Mandela himself, that he seems to get off on such adulation rather than be with the poor and oppressed. He's happier with the super rich than in the townships.

The old guy may have his good points but he's not a saint. The South Africa he created is a crimeridden dump, where rich get richer and poor fester. Much of his "heroism" was something he had no control over--he was locked up in jail for a long time!

It's long past Mandela's sell-by date.
Good point Arnold lane.
 

DOD

Well-known member
Joined
Aug 25, 2003
Messages
643
moghroth said:
Why wasn't Delores Keane at Nelson Mandela's birthday gig. I always thought that her 'Lion in a Cage,' was the best tribute to him.
Because no one would have been able to understand a word she was saying. The English and South Africans don't have our specially trained ear.
 

twtone

Active member
Joined
Jan 26, 2008
Messages
108
Rich OC said:
Nelson Mandela

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, and fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn't serve the world. There's nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We are born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us, it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
'nuff said
What's your point? Are we supposed to be impressed by that paragraph?
I'm not.

I could show you as good or better in the self help or religion section of Easons.

Indeed one of my local priests, on his good days, would pen a far better sermon than what you cited. Yet no one goes to his birthday party, and not many even go to his mass.
 

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top