• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Nesbitt throws a wobbly and runs home with his ball

Ren84

UUP leader Media Mike Nesbitt has thrown a bit of a tantrum after SF minister John O'Dowd was alleged to have said "so what?" after the UUP, SDLP and Alliance accused SF of keeping them in the dark over a plan for a "shared future". I know, the horror of it all.

Anyway Nesbitt has now decided to show SF who's who by withdrawing from attending a SF sponsored conference at the Europa Hotel titled: The City of Equals in an Island of Equals.

More:

He told the BBC: "I'd given a provisional 'yes' to giving a keynote address at a conference on the future of Belfast organised by Sinn Fein and I was looking positively at that.

"But given the remarks by John O'Dowd, the 'so what' which tells you all you need to know about what he, at least, thinks about the Ulster Unionist Party and the other two (parties) which are not at the centre of government, unless that's fixed, the damage is done.

"I can't fix it. Unless it's fixed I can see no way that I can participate in the Sinn Fein event at this stage given those remarks."
BBC News - Nesbitt pulls out of SF conference in protest at O'Dowd remarks

Further proof of the immaturity within the leadership of unionism to take offence at every little thing. :roll:

drummed

Jaysus...........not another Nordie thread:shock:

cricket

I saw that and burst out laughing.
UUP are where SF were about 20 years ago, insisting that they're oppressed, victimised, etc.
A half decent leader would have accepted the invite, given it between the eyes to the Shinners and at the same time share thoughts on where society needed to be and how to get there. But, that would have required leadership. Much easier and more appealing to the fundamentalists to run off crying foul.
You'd have to wonder if the people of NI would be better served by a sort of politically neutral troika, answerable only to the two governments.

between the bridges

SF/IRA are holding an event in the Europa...

J

Johnny Boy

I saw that and burst out laughing.
UUP are where SF were about 20 years ago, insisting that they're oppressed, victimised, etc.
A half decent leader would have accepted the invite, given it between the eyes to the Shinners and at the same time share thoughts on where society needed to be and how to get there. But, that would have required leadership. Much easier and more appealing to the fundamentalists to run off crying foul.
You'd have to wonder if the people of NI would be better served by a sort of politically neutral troika, answerable only to the two governments.
Chance would be a fine thing! Most politicians here are embarrassingly mediocre. Really talented people here stay well clear of politics and the company of politicians because of the dearth of actual talent, never mind brains. Considering that in other aspects of life a decent university degree is usually a decent indicator of ability, it is telling that neither the FM or DFM possess one.

Legolas

Bell and O'Dowd both came across as ignorant twats on the View, as I imagine both are. But Nesbitt is good in debates, especially with SF, he should have went. It was sheer ignorance by O'Dowd who was getting flustered by Nesbitt, but he should have went to the event!

Marcella

Mike confirmed he had given a provisional yes to the invite but was now declining. Mike would be almost funny if he didn't take himself so seriously !

physicist

UUP leader Media Mike Nesbitt has thrown a bit of a tantrum after SF minister John O'Dowd was alleged to have said "so what?" after the UUP, SDLP and Alliance accused SF of keeping them in the dark over a plan for a "shared future". I know, the horror of it all.
Is it any surprise these parties accuse the 'shared future' promoters in the DUP and Sinn Féin of a little touch of insenserity after a not having "shared present" information shocker, or indeed the shocker of having it "shared past" them!
Could we at least get a future date for the sharing of this information from the DUP and Sinn Féin, so this shared future proposals might be "present-ed" ?

Ren84

Bell and O'Dowd both came across as ignorant twats on the View, as I imagine both are. But Nesbitt is good in debates, especially with SF, he should have went. It was sheer ignorance by O'Dowd who was getting flustered by Nesbitt, but he should have went to the event!
This will have been political gold for SF. They can rightly use this in future to score points at the expense of the UUP. They must be laughing their asses off right about now. Political pygmies doesn't even come close to describing the UUP. :)

Ren84

Is it any surprise these parties accuse the 'shared future' promoters in the DUP and Sinn Féin of a little touch of insenserity after a not having "shared present" information shocker, or indeed the shocker of having it "shared past" them!
Could we at least get a future date for the sharing of this information from the DUP and Sinn Féin, so this shared future proposals might be "present-ed" ?
If the SDLP and UUP aren't too happy with the present arrangements perhaps they should stand by their convictions and withdraw from the executive.

How many votes would the UUP get I wonder if they pledged never to go into coalition with SF, only the SDLP? What with all the rantings by unionists over "SF/IRA" that would be mighty tempting for the UUP to campaign on.

physicist

This will have been political gold for SF. They can rightly use this in future to score points at the expense of the UUP. They must be laughing their asses off right about now. Political pygmies doesn't even come close to describing the UUP. :)
So which UUP seat is at threat of the Sinn Féiners this time, and what's the typical profile of the swing voter who thinks "Let's see Maskey or McGimpsey? Maskey or McGimpsey? Going to have to coin toss this unless there's a big Sinn Féin lead debate between their parties"

Legolas

I think all of that post is nonsense...Political gold? What planet are you on?

physicist

If the SDLP and UUP aren't too happy with the present arrangements perhaps they should stand by their convictions and withdraw from the executive.

How many votes would the UUP get I wonder if they pledged never to go into coalition with SF, only the SDLP? What with all the rantings by unionists over "SF/IRA" that would be mighty tempting for the UUP to campaign on.
The last election I went into was Foyle Assembly elections, there wasn't a UUP runner for the constituency or my DEA only a couple of council contenders in the Waterside, so I would not have a clue about the grassroots UUP supporter. All I can say is that the hostility might be mutual, Sinn Féin haven't been as warming to the UUP since the days of "Well Done David". The fact is the UUP had been in coalition with Sinn Féin, there are numerous examples of where their ministers have worked together well in the past, it will need to see for itself if opposition is the best way it can challenge the DUP, Sinn Féin and indeed political apathy or promote Danny Kennedy's actions as minister to push for more seats. The electorate could back the UUP to do better with either choice if its presented strongly enough.

Global Justice

Nesbitt had everyone fooled as a newsreader, so it begs the question how many other 'Nesbitts' are there working away and infiltrating the media? Inept sectarian biased numpties stifling and corrupting outlets and news coverage.

UTV is a well known hub of pro-union/establishment shills. Mark Carruthers though of the BBC is another bitter bastard. He finds it hard to hide his bias. Noel Thompson is well missed.

As for the throw-away comment O'Dowd made, I mean, seriously? Numpty mike got on the stage last year when he took leadership of the UUP and made the most dishonest and revisionist comments saying the UUP since inception have always been the party of democracy and equality. Did this turd, like so many other unionists, have an inbuilt part of their brain that erases decades and generations of fact and history? his baby antics has no standing

Ren84

I think all of that post is nonsense...Political gold? What planet are you on?
It's political gold because it rightly makes unionism look like a bunch of childish idiots incapable of engaging in constructive dialogue with nationalists. Unionists really are their own worst enemy. Keep it up though.

Ren84

Nesbitt had everyone fooled as a newsreader, so it begs the question how many other 'Nesbitts' are there working away and infiltrating the media? Inept sectarian biased numpties stifling and corrupting outlets and news coverage.

UTV is a well known hub of pro-union/establishment shills. Mark Carruthers though of the BBC is another bitter bastard. He finds it hard to hide his bias. Noel Thompson is well missed.

As for the throw-away comment O'Dowd made, I mean, seriously? Numpty mike got on the stage last year when he took leadership of the UUP and made the most dishonest and revisionist comments saying the UUP since inception have always been the party of democracy and equality. Did this turd, like so many other unionists, have an inbuilt part of their brain that erases decades and generations of fact and history? his baby antics has no standing
You're assuming the small lump of matter residing between their ears is even capable of intelligent thought.

Evergreenfinch

It's political gold because it rightly makes unionism look like a bunch of childish idiots incapable of engaging in constructive dialogue........
And saying 'so what' shows maturity?

He might as well have said 'whatevaaaaaa'

Popular Threads

Most Replies