Net Neutrality in the US

Karloff

The decision by the FCC to bring an end to net neutrality in the US is a major milestone.

Paving the way for individual companies will be able to charge different fees based on the nature (not the size) of the data they transmit. A major victory for a tiny few giant corporations, a major defeat for 300 million internet users in the US.

And you can't blame this only on Trump, the tour de force behind it is an Obama appointee - yet the media will tell you this Obama appointee is 'rolling back Obama's net neutrality rules' as though Obama invented net neutrality which has been in place since the internet began as this article implies....

The FCC Just Voted to Roll Back Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules - Hit & Run : Reason.com

Karloff

i pity them
They likely won't even notice (maybe only for a while) - people become used to things quickly and forget that they had ever been any other way. Sadly. They know how to change things, chains are forged one link at a time.

The problem in the US is not Dem V Rep with one a saviour and the other a destroyer, the problem is insiders. The problem is the same in the Dem Party as it is in the Rep party, insiders.

mr_anderson

They likely won't even notice (maybe only for a while) - people become used to things quickly and forget that they had ever been any other way. Sadly. They know how to change things, chains are forged one link at a time.

The problem in the US is not Dem V Rep with one a saviour and the other a destroyer, the problem is insiders. The problem is the same in the Dem Party as it is in the Rep party, insiders.
The problem is the lobbying industry their unlimited money.

Karloff

The problem is the lobbying industry their unlimited money.
Yes, lobbying, favours, crony capitalism which is really another name for corruption in my view however you dress it up. The US has been suffering the ill effects of this for many decades now... The effects are cumulative. Clinton was a major example of it's spread through the Democratic Party (she may run again next time! Now that's insider power) while it has been near totally endemic in the Republicans for some time.

Regulatory capture is a major canary in the mine.

This is the guy who brought it in. I don't know about you but i wouldn't trust this guy to take out my garbage. He just oozes douchebag.

dizillusioned

The problem in the States are the ISPs. Internet is terrible and the cost is astronomical for service.

I pay 60 bucks a month for 6 down and 2 up. We were paying 99 a month for unusable 5mb down and 1 up.

For a country supposedly in the forefront of technology, the USA is SOOOOoo far behind europe in many respects.

This BS which has to go to congress yet, is another nail in the coffin of the American people educating themselves outside of Mainstream Crap TV. ISPs will be able to charge whatever they like for whatever content they wish .... its a money making racket by the powerful ISPs.

gleeful

The problem in the States are the ISPs. Internet is terrible and the cost is astronomical for service.

I pay 60 bucks a month for 6 down and 2 up. We were paying 99 a month for unusable 5mb down and 1 up.

For a country supposedly in the forefront of technology, the USA is SOOOOoo far behind europe in many respects.

This BS which has to go to congress yet, is another nail in the coffin of the American people educating themselves outside of Mainstream Crap TV. ISPs will be able to charge whatever they like for whatever content they wish .... its a money making racket by the powerful ISPs.
Amazing how terrible internet speeds are in the US. I was in Moscow a little while ago - 100 Mb fiber to your flat costs 20 euro/month. No wonder Russia is winning World Cyber War 1

Civic_critic2

The problem is that the bulk of the people are waiting for someone to stick a nosebag of oats under their nose, they won't take responsibility and build the network themselves. They think they clock in, do 'what's expected of them' and hand control of the essential elements of society over to corporates, who destroy everything progressive with no effective opposition.

The people allowed the same with radio, then TV - which had little public control or input and still doesn't, just doesn't occur to the people - and now they'll allow the same to happen to the internet. The people deserve what they get because they haven't the guts or the insight to do the right thing and defend themselves.

Degeneration X

[video=youtube;ZilXj9rmKjY]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZilXj9rmKjY[/video]

Some bi-partisan support for this.

Karloff

The people allowed the same with radio, then TV - which had little public control or input and still doesn't, just doesn't occur to the people - and now they'll allow the same to happen to the internet.
That's a depressingly succinct point.

dizillusioned

That sounds kinda expensive, can you even stream at thos speeds :shock:- currently paying $50 for 50/50 @ Verizon and that includes router rental
Believe me. I know every option here. This is the best option that I have at the moment. There is Fiber coming but that will take a couple of years to arrive. Despite being in the town for the past 2 years (with no ISP).

dizillusioned

Other than moving :lol:
Nope I love where I live. Will not move to a large urban Area.... I can survive here with what I have for the time being. It is certainly not optimal, but I can work in town on higher speeds.. needless to say... higher speeds means higher costs...;) 100mb = $349 a month

owedtojoy

The decision by the FCC to bring an end to net neutrality in the US is a major milestone.

Paving the way for individual companies will be able to charge different fees based on the nature (not the size) of the data they transmit. A major victory for a tiny few giant corporations, a major defeat for 300 million internet users in the US.

And you can't blame this only on Trump, the tour de force behind it is an Obama appointee - yet the media will tell you this Obama appointee is 'rolling back Obama's net neutrality rules' as though Obama invented net neutrality which has been in place since the internet began as this article implies....

The FCC Just Voted to Roll Back Obama-Era Net Neutrality Rules - Hit & Run : Reason.com
Pretty typical of Donald Trump and his Administration.

Allow big corporations to run amok, control internet content (which used to be regarded as a haven for entrepreneurs and innovators), pillage the environment, and enjoy massive tax breaks, all at the expense of the US middle class and the poor deluded blue collar workers who voted for Trump.

GDPR

Does this mean YouTube (for example) will no longer be free for everyone or access will be payable depending on your ISP?

ShoutingIsLeadership

Nope I love where I live. Will not move to a large urban Area.... I can survive here with what I have for the time being. It is certainly not optimal, but I can work in town on higher speeds.. needless to say... higher speeds means higher costs...;) 100mb = $349 a month
349 a month? For real?

PC Principle

That's not my experience at all. You live in the sticks ffs. Try the connection in Tipperary.

I'm very happy with the internet in both Nevada and New York.

Actually faster than anything I've had in Dublin.

Verizon in NYC.
Cox in Vegas.

Both outstanding.

Karloff

349 a month? For real?
Meanwhile S Korea is on 200 zillion bytes for a tenner. Hyperbole i know but still they are fast.

It shows it can be done and corporations can still make a good profit. I think it comes down to monopoly ownership of the backbone or the telecom infrastructure in the US. Maybe this might open a few eyes in the US to the reality of corporate rule.

https://www.nytimes.com/2014/10/31/upshot/why-the-us-has-fallen-behind-in-internet-speed-and-affordability.html

Downloading a high-definition movie takes about seven seconds in Seoul, Hong Kong, Tokyo, Zurich, Bucharest and Paris, and people pay as little as $30 a month for that connection. In Los Angeles, New York and Washington, downloading the same movie takes 1.4 minutes for people with the fastest Internet available, and they pay $300 a month for the privilege, according to The Cost of Connectivity, a report published Thursday by the New America Foundation’s Open Technology Institute.

The reason the United States lags many countries in both speed and affordability, according to people who study the issue, has nothing to do with technology. Instead, it is an economic policy problem — the lack of competition in the broadband industry.
Corporatism's ultimate evolutionary state is dominance of the unfittest.

Karloff

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies