• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

Netflix does The Sieige of Jadotville

cozzy121

Not sure if this should be here or in the Media Forum, but I'm glad it's been done

[video=youtube;rHNtzyXvyLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNtzyXvyLc&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Socratus O' Pericles

Not sure if this should be here or in the Media Forum, but I'm glad it's been done

[video=youtube;rHNtzyXvyLc]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rHNtzyXvyLc&feature=youtu.be[/video]
Looks good.

RasherHash

Looks great.

Lúidín

I hope it goes into the skullduggery of the Belgian regime and the other plunderers and is not just a Hollywood-style shoot-em-up movie. The clip shows a man in a white suit behind the Belgian mercenaries and their African stooges so maybe it does.

Can't wait!

rainmaker

Administrator

Looks excellent.

sgtharper

Looks very well made indeed from this short clip, decent production values too. A lot of attention to detail, correct uniforms, weapons and equipment for the time, FN's and .303's, Gustaf SMG's, the legendary Vickers MG and even the 84mm a/tk gun! I wonder if in years to come this film will come to be shown to young Irish Army recruits during their training by way of instilling pride and esprit de corps? In the Royal Welsh and for the past 50 years or so, the whole battalion watches Zulu every St. David's Day after their church service and parade.

I'll look forward to watching this, I wonder if my uncle will be in it? :D

flavirostris

Looks like our version of Rourke's Drift. A small bunch of Irish holding off waves of Africans.

RasherHash

Looks very well made indeed from this short clip, decent production values too. A lot of attention to detail, correct uniforms, weapons and equipment for the time, FN's and .303's, Gustaf SMG's, the legendary Vickers MG and even the 84mm a/tk gun! I wonder if in years to come this film will come to be shown to young Irish Army recruits during their training by way of instilling pride and esprit de corps? In the Royal Welsh and for the past 50 years or so, the whole battalion watches Zulu every St. David's Day after their church service and parade.

I'll look forward to watching this, I wonder if my uncle will be in it? :D
Some veterans saying the 303s and FNs shouldn't be together, a bit of poetic license there I think.

Eire1976

Will they be playing on the intrigue with the UN and the Cruiser?

sgtharper

Some veterans saying the 303s and FNs shouldn't be together, a bit of poetic license there I think.
Agreed, all the photo's I've seen of the lads at Jadotville show them with FN's and I did wonder about that one shot at the bell from a .303, especially with a telescopic sight (!) as I realised when I viewed it a second time, but I didn't want to get all "nit-picky" on the basis of a trailer. For that matter though, I did wonder what was the purpose of that one shot which appears to show the working- parts of a Bren going forwards onto a loaded chamber? Such a thing can't happen in the normal use of the weapon because the Bren fires with the working parts to the rear. (I could elaborate, but I won't)
Anyway, I paused it and realised that the shot is actually a mirror-image. For a start, you can see the cocking-handle on the left of the body and the barrel-locking nut on the right, in fact its the other way, the shot has been reversed for some reason ? Once again though, you'd never see this for real as the magazine would be in place.

Overall though, and artistic license aside, it looks very good indeed.

RasherHash

Agreed, all the photo's I've seen of the lads at Jadotville show them with FN's and I did wonder about that one shot at the bell from a .303, especially with a telescopic sight (!) as I realised when I viewed it a second time, but I didn't want to get all "nit-picky" on the basis of a trailer. For that matter though, I did wonder what was the purpose of that one shot which appears to show the working- parts of a Bren going forwards onto a loaded chamber? Such a thing can't happen in the normal use of the weapon because the Bren fires with the working parts to the rear. (I could elaborate, but I won't)
Anyway, I paused it and realised that the shot is actually a mirror-image. For a start, you can see the cocking-handle on the left of the body and the barrel-locking nut on the right, in fact its the other way, the shot has been reversed for some reason ? Once again though, you'd never see this for real as the magazine would be in place.

Overall though, and artistic license aside, it looks very good indeed.
Yes, the big story many people remember about the Congo was that the guys didn't have Jungle fatigues or modern rifles and 'that is why they were massacred at the Niemba bridge'. The reality is they were simply out-numbered at Niemba and no amount of FNs would have saved them.

Iac the army got new rifles and the 303 was phased out (except perhaps in sniper role).

Presumably their inclusion in the film is a poetic license way of telling that aspect of the tale.

sgtharper

Yes, the big story many people remember about the Congo was that the guys didn't have Jungle fatigues or modern rifles and 'that is why they were massacred at the Niemba bridge'. The reality is they were simply out-numbered at Niemba and no amount of FNs would have saved them.
I read a very good account of the Niemba action a few years ago, must see if I can find it again actually. IIRC, the main problem was that they were caught unawares and to be frank, not particularly alert. They weren't expecting any trouble of course, why would they have been, they meant no harm to anyone.

Iac the army got new rifles and the 303 was phased out (except perhaps in sniper role. Presumably their inclusion in the film is a poetic license way of telling that aspect of the tale.
To its credit, the Army moved fast to re-equip with the FN, other weapons and appropriate clothing once the reality of opearations in the Congo was apparent. I don't think there were any Sniper rifles in the Irish Army at the time and not for many years afterwards in fact, I think this one is pure poetic/artistic/dramatic license to be honest.

firefly123

Looks like our version of Rourke's Drift. A small bunch of Irish holding off waves of Africans.
Funnily enough most of the lads at rourkes drift were Irish as well. The movie took some liberties

former wesleyan

" Jamie Dornan plays Commandant Pat Quinlin and yet in the picture in the link below he's wearing a brassard with a 3 star private rank. "

IMO Discussion Board

H/T Irishmilitaryonline

sgtharper

Funnily enough most of the lads at rourkes drift were Irish as well. The movie took some liberties
Not quite I'm afraid:

While most of the men of the 1st Battalion, 24th Regiment of Foot (1/24) were recruited from the industrial towns and agricultural classes of England, principally from Birmingham and adjacent southwest counties, only 10 soldiers of the 1/24 that fought in the battle were Welsh. Many of the soldiers of the junior battalion, the 2/24, were Welshmen.[SUP][53][/SUP] Of the 122 soldiers of the 24th Regiment present at the Battle of Rorke's Drift, 49 are known to have been of English nationality, 32 were Welsh, 16 were Irish, one was a Scot, and three were born overseas. The nationalities of the remaining 21 are unknown.[SUP][54][/SUP]
So unless the remaining 21 unsourced men were in fact Irish then there were only 16 Irishmen present. Having said that I'm sure that some of those from the "industrial towns and agricultural areas" possibly had some Irish blood in them.

Catalpast

The UN got suckered into someone else Civil War basically

Katanga wanted to break away and the Belgians and the British were only too happy to connive in that

This was due the huge mineral wealth in that State that they hoped to control and exploit

As for the military angle the UN Force sent was not cut out for anything other than the lightest of Peace keeping duties

- in fact the Katangese gendarmie gained air superiority because they had one light fighter bomber

- and the UN had zilch!:|

The Irish contingent were left up the creek without a paddle at Jadotville

- it is a miracle that they all made it out in one piece

freewillie

Not quite I'm afraid:

So unless the remaining 21 unsourced men were in fact Irish then there were only 16 Irishmen present. Having said that I'm sure that some of those from the "industrial towns and agricultural areas" possibly had some Irish blood in them.
Firefly caught bluffing again!

flavirostris

It looks good, although Dornan could use some work on his Kerry accent.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies