• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New "Al Jazeera America" channel launched

seabhcan

After a decade reporting in the most dangerous and dysfunctional regimes in the world, Al Jazeera are bringing real journalism and enlightenment to the final frontier of civilization - the USA.

For the past few months we’ve been building our broadcast centers in New York City, Washington, D.C, and Los Angeles; developing our programs; and hiring truly top notch journalists who are passionate about the Al Jazeera style of news coverage. One of our first hires, former CNN business reporter Ali Velshi, is developing a prime-time business show.

To report on the stories that matter most to Americans, we know we need to have a strong presence on the ground. We announced bureau openings in two of America’s greatest cities – Detroit and Chicago – where we recently met with members of the media, community leaders, students, business leaders and more. The response was overwhelming. Everywhere we went, people were excited about Al Jazeera America, eager to hear more about our plans, and grateful for the opportunity to be included in our launch later this year.

Our 12 bureaus in the U.S. – which will make us one of the largest news gathering organizations in America – will be critical components of the interconnectedness you’ll see in all news reporting on Al Jazeera America. We want our reporters to be on the ground where the news is actually happening because what takes place in Chicago, Detroit and in the cities where our other bureaus will be located, will have an impact on all Americans and communities around the world. Our strong presence will enable Al Jazeera America to report on the economic, social, political and cultural news that really matters to you.
http://america.aljazeera.com/

I wonder how Fox News will take this?

ManOfReason

To report on the stories that matter most to Americans, we know we need to have a strong presence on the ground. We announced bureau openings in two of America’s greatest cities – Detroit and Chicago – where we recently met with members of the media, community leaders, students, business leaders and more. The response was overwhelming. Everywhere we went, people were excited about Al Jazeera America, eager to hear more about our plans, and grateful for the opportunity to be included in our launch later this year.?
I have highlighted all the lies, sorry - marketing spin, in just one paragraph.

Clanrickard

stopdoingstuff

It is a pretty good channel overall if you want to see the world from beyond a narrow Americanized point of view. Watching it is very instructive at least for the fact that you get to see how narrow the focus of the western media really is. I wonder can they keep it up though? Will they tone down their coverage of Israel in order to fit in to the US market and keep on the good side of Washington?

ManOfReason

Are those the only two options?

Endlessly positive up to and beyond the point of mass murder, or endlessly negative to the point of.... meh.
The third option is avoiding overly simplistic generalisations. :)

Sister Mercedes

This is the Channel that used to be Al Gore's 'Current TV'. I'm prepared to give it a go. The news channels in the US have gone downhill in recent years, and CNBC has become a platform for the Republican Party, especially in the morning.

Ren84

After a decade reporting in the most dangerous and dysfunctional regimes in the world, Al Jazeera are bringing real journalism and enlightenment to the final frontier of civilization - the USA.

http://america.aljazeera.com/

I wonder how Fox News will take this?
I think we all know the answer to that. Sean Hannity has been going mental ever since the channel bought Current TV, calling AJ an "Islamist, anti American propaganda outfit. Really, you couldn't make this up. :lol:

Ren84

This is the Channel that used to be Al Gore's 'Current TV'. I'm prepared to give it a go. The news channels in the US have gone downhill in recent years, and CNBC has become a platform for the Republican Party, especially in the morning.
Ironic that its sister channel MSNBC is run by the Democratic National Committee.

Fritzbox

Will this new channel be a bit like RT.com, the Russian English language channel? Why would any American go to a Russian or Middle East based company for news about their own country or the rest of the world? Which Irish people go to Moscow or Doha for their news?

james toney

Have they taken down those Be-Heading videos yet?

seabhcan

Will this new channel be a bit like RT.com, the Russian English language channel? Why would any American go to a Russian or Middle East based company for news about their own country or the rest of the world? Which Irish people go to Moscow or Doha for their news?
Al Jazeera is actually very good, high quality journalism. RT is a pile of poo.

Sister Mercedes

Ironic that its sister channel MSNBC is run by the Democratic National Committee.
For Business News, there is already Fox Business in the Republican camp. I don't see why CNBC now feels it has to go the same route. Its morning programmes are now unwatchable unless you're Michelle Bachmann. And the collapse in ratings proves it.