• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New bonanza for solicitors from Jan 1st

seanmoylantd

Price Gouging Solicitors

Doubling of legal fees is 'outrageous' - National News - Independent.ie

Yet another example of how Legal Personnel dine out on Property Holders.

Is there any way one can bypass these parasites and do one's conveyancing oneself?

Elder abuse.Indeed.Aren't they lovely in their concern and isn't it smashing how much money there is to be made in their ministrations.What a great blessing the Law Society are to Irish Society and how concerned they are about our common good.:roll:

Has anyone else seen this?

Where is Alan Shatter when you need him?

Does any of our TD's actually stand up,for us,The Consumer/Mortgage Holder/Little Person/Taxpayer/Employer in this little island?

Radix

Lawyers the lot of them....

Sync

So you think it's ok for a solicitor to represent both parties in a transaction?

stopdoingstuff

The fee aspect is terrible but the principle of one guy not acting on both sides of a transaction is common sense. The problem is not that fees will go from 4k to 8k but that routine paperwork costs 4k to begin with.

sic transit

Isn't part of the issue here that solicitors cannot advertise their fees?

Sync

Isn't part of the issue here that solicitors cannot advertise their fees?
Yup. I've no idea what would be lost by allowing solicitors advertise how much per hour they charge to work on basic stuff like conveyancing, execution of a will etc.

RobertW

So you think it's ok for a solicitor to represent both parties in a transaction?
That's not what this thread is about.

It's about solicitors ripping off people involved in property transactions. . . . Something they've been doing very successfully for many years.

Franzoni

A large part of the problem IMHO is the Law society....as anyone unfortunate enough like myself who have had dealings with in the past will tell you .....

Sync

That's not what this thread is about.

It's about solicitors ripping off people involved in property transactions. . . . Something they've been doing very successfully for many years.
That's not what the hysterical OP is talking about. He's talking about one specific decision to prevent people using the same solicitor for the transfer of property. Lots of people don't do this because of the obvious conflict of interest issues. Do you think, on the basis of the OP and the issue at hand, that it's the wrong recommendation?

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Solicitors, as Wolfe Tone sagely pointed out, are the most execrable of all professions. And why can the Law Society legislate/regulate on this? Is that not the job of the Leinster House retards?

Let us say you die and leave a will giving everything you have (10k in bank account, no more) to your only daughter and someone else dies, leaves an identical will but 200 k. The solicitors will charge the other person's estate much more for doing the same job.
Ireland will never be even partly free until the law mafia is destroyed. But, as they are a corner stone of rip off Ireland, it will be hard to do.

Of course, the real action now is in the divorce industry. Check out your local law firm and see how many of them are doing family law.

seanmoylantd

That's not what the hysterical OP is talking about. He's talking about one specific decision to prevent people using the same solicitor for the transfer of property. Lots of people don't do this because of the obvious conflict of interest issues. Do you think, on the basis of the OP and the issue at hand, that it's the wrong recommendation?
Sync,my name is Liz.
Mods passing personal remarks about Posters is a real turn -off and a bad example.

Con Gallagher

Even why the Law Society does the right thing, someone will always find an angle to attack lawyers (and given the abject ignorance on the legal process as displayed by the reaction to the acquittal in Mauritius, the dept of education should consider making a module on law mandatory for transition year). I don't expect much from this thread.

seanmoylantd

I would have no problem with doubling representation if fees were set or advertised.
Where do they get their fees?Who decides?
Just typical ,back of the envelope rulings ,with no allowances made for consumers of said services.

And its nice soft work as well.Most transfers are 100% straightforward.

seanmoylantd

..and what would a solicitor do,if there was Elder Abuse?Take the old lady by the hand,and bring her home to his wife?

No,I'll tell you what he'd do,he'd take her money and go home.
Everybody saves their white cowboy hat for their own flesh and blood,if even then.No one sticks up for a stranger.
They'll pay you some attention alright while the meter is running,but you don't impact emotionally or spiritually anymore than an ATM after you have left.

Regards,
Liz

D

Deleted member 17573

Sync - just as a matter of interest, what type of conflict of interest would be likely to arise in a conveyancing case? For example, if the vendor's solicitor spotted some little difficulty with the deeds would they keep quite about it?

seanmoylantd

Its just the hypocrisy of it that TOTALLY grates on me.

Lets not JUST mug people,lets do it in the name of warm and fuzzies-the environment, services to the vulnerable,elder abuse ,recycling ,not racing to the bottom,so that we can be all moral and lovely while we are fattening our wallets at the expense of people who actually had to sweat blood and tears paying off a mortgage plus massive interest on the said property he is transferring to whomever he is transferring it to.

Regards,
Liz.

The Field Marshal

..and what would a solicitor do,if there was Elder Abuse?Take the old lady by the hand,and bring her home to his wife?

No,I'll tell you what he'd do,he'd take her money and go home.
Everybody saves their white cowboy hat for their own flesh and blood,if even then.No one sticks up for a stranger.
They'll pay you some attention alright while the meter is running,but you don't impact emotionally or spiritually anymore than an ATM after you have left.

Regards,
Liz
Your hysterical rantings indicate you are clueless concerning the avoidance of conflicts of interest by those required to provide objective legal advice. You would be a dream client for any dishonest service provider.

seanmoylantd

k
Your hysterical rantings indicate you are clueless concerning the avoidance of conflicts of interest by those required to provide objective legal advice. You would be a dream client for any dishonest service provider.
Everybody in this country is a dream client -we take all sorts of financial high jinks on the chin and pick up the tab for them.

mary_queen_of_the_gael

Even why the Law Society does the right thing, someone will always find an angle to attack lawyers (and given the abject ignorance on the legal process as displayed by the reaction to the acquittal in Mauritius, the dept of education should consider making a module on law mandatory for transition year). I don't expect much from this thread.

Why did the defence lawyer in Mauritius go on about how he admired Gerry Adams and why was speculation on the private sex life of the deceased deemed admissible? Perhaps your transition year course could be exported to the thieves, killers and legal eagles of Mauritius?

When I did a university law course, what surprised me was how all the key constitutional cases had been razored out of the books by people who are probably law makers now? How come the O'Higgins family (the guy who was executed as a traitor on 10 July 1927) and other very prominent south side FG families have had such a stranglehold on the top of this most ignoble of professions for so long?

With a good Land Registry and an honest civil service, it should have been possible to dispense with these leeches in conveyancing and estates long ago.
I am currently trying to plan my own exit and though I don't fear death, I really fear those jackals getting a penny of my estate. As I own property in several jurisdictions, my heirs would have to take out several probates and feed the legal beast in the process. I would do anything to avoid inheritance tax (which is immoral) and lawyers (who are vomit inducing)

The Field Marshal

k

Everybody in this country is a dream client -we take all sorts of financial high jinks on the chin and pick up the tab for them.
No. You stand out like a gullible and clueless sore thumb ready to be taken by the dumbest of rogues.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies