• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

new book: John Paul II used to whip himself to bring himself closer to God

TommyO'Brien

Pope John Paul II whipped himself with a belt to bring him closer to Christian perfection, according to a new book by the Polish prelate spearheading his sainthood case.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20100126/ap_on_re_eu/eu_vatican_john_paul_ii

Utterly weird.

If he wanted to bring himself closer to God maybe he should have dealt with the rampant clerical abuse that he received reports of, rather than as he did largely ignoring it! :rolleyes:

Catalpa

Pope John Paul II whipped himself with a belt to bring him closer to Christian perfection, according to a new book by the Polish prelate spearheading his sainthood case.

Book: John Paul II used belt to whip himself - Yahoo! News

Utterly weird.

If he wanted to bring himself closer to God maybe he should have dealt with the rampant clerical abuse that he received reports of, rather than as he did largely ignoring it! :rolleyes:
"But it wasn't limited to this. As some members of his close entourage in Poland and in the Vatican were able to hear with their own ears, John Paul flagellated himself. In his armoire, amid all the vestments and hanging on a hanger, was a belt which he used as a whip and which he always brought to Castel Gandolfo," the papal retreat where John Paul vacationed each summer.

Name these members of his close entourage then?

SlabMurphy

Website
www.dublin.ie
Conspiracy theory rubbish. The writer is just out to improve his bank balance, Other conspiracy theories put foward by various scibblers down the years, e.g. De Velera was a British spy, John Lennon was shot by the CIA etc, etc, etc

Verhofstadt

Website
Conspiracy theory rubbish. The writer is just out to improve his bank balance, Other conspiracy theories put foward by various scibblers down the years, e.g. De Velera was a British spy, John Lennon was shot by the CIA etc, etc, etc

I don't think so, the book is being published by the Vatican to push for JPII to made a saint:

The book – Why He Is a Saint: the Real John Paul II – has been written by Monsignor Slawomir Oder, the Vatican official in charge of the process that could lead to sainthood for the late pontiff.
Pope John Paul II regularly whipped himself, book says | World news | The Guardian

Self flagellation to bring you closer to God.. and we wonder why a lot of our priests end up as twisted perverts?

reknaw

Kinky! But, whatever got him off, I suppose ;). Pity the habit didn't catch on lower down the clerical food chain; if it had, the priests and religious who beat, whipped and buggered children could have "gotten closer to God" by whipping and shagging themselves rather than children.:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Interista

I thought this sort of thing was considered passe by.... well the mid 16th century or thereabouts. Seems I was wrong.

The Caped Cod

Ah, those crazy christian traditions...

Verhofstadt

Website
I thought this sort of thing was considered passe by.... well the mid 16th century or thereabouts. Seems I was wrong.
Indeed, the madness of stating that self flagellation brings you closer to God is medieval... enlightenment? what's that?

The whole sainthood process is just odd in the extreme, you begin to see where the whole reformed church thing was coming from.

kittykat

Proper Forum

Please move to Political Humour/ open new Care in the Community forum;)

corelli

Opus Dei consider corporal mortification, such as this and the celis (?? spelling), which is a studded band worn about the thigh, as a proper manifestation of belief. The Pope was a big fan of Opus Dei, beatifying its founder, Jose Marie Escriva De Balidur, thus the story may not be without foundation.

If they think that this form of weirdness is going to make him more popular, methinks they might think again.

paxtime

Obviously this story is being released to placate the faithful worried about recent abuse allegations. This saintly man couldn't posssibly have known what was going on. He was too busy thrashing himself.
If the story is true it illustrates that there is a basic insanity at the heart of the church. If a lie it demonstrates the deceitful and cowardly nature of the the heirarchy.
When all is said and done JPII was an unpleasant authoritarian who at best ignored and at worst actively collaborated in a cover-up of abuse not only in Ireland but elsewhere.

sauntersplash

Of course his behaviour was odd. He was supposed to be God's representative on Earth.

Do you expect him to be sitting down the pub giving you advice on the 2.15 at Cheltenham?

Why are people so surprised when the Catholic Establishment takes part in "occult" practices? They are an occult organisation for goodness sake. THEY ARE A RELIGION. They believe a dude walked on freaking water!!!

It's the fact that priests do ordinary stuff that I cant comprehend. If I honestly believed people could rise from the dead, I think I'd find more interesting ways to spend my time than teaching children Irish.

Nodin

Obviously this story is being released to placate the faithful worried about recent abuse allegations. This saintly man couldn't posssibly have known what was going on. He was too busy thrashing himself.
:D

Destiny's Soldier

We'll if the Son of Man or God, allowed himself to be beaten, whipped, tortured and crucified to death, why wouldn't his representative on Earth not feel obliged to do the same?

Disabled student

Opus Dei consider corporal mortification, such as this and the celis (?? spelling), which is a studded band worn about the thigh, as a proper manifestation of belief. The Pope was a big fan of Opus Dei, beatifying its founder, Jose Marie Escriva De Balidur, thus the story may not be without foundation.

If they think that this form of weirdness is going to make him more popular, methinks they might think again.
Do you have a whip at home to motify your senses??? :lol:

The Caped Cod

Of course his behaviour was odd. He was supposed to be God's representative on Earth.

Do you expect him to be sitting down the pub giving you advice on the 2.15 at Cheltenham?

Why are people so surprised when the Catholic Establishment takes part in "occult" practices? They are an occult organisation for goodness sake. THEY ARE A RELIGION. They believe a dude walked on freaking water!!!

It's the fact that priests do ordinary stuff that I cant comprehend. If I honestly believed people could rise from the dead, I think I'd find more interesting ways to spend my time than teaching children Irish.
Advice? Surely he couldn't loose, him being infallable and all.

It's more "cult" than "occult", though I suppose his autospanking wasn't know about or kept hidden so maybe that's occult.
On a side note, the vatican is supposed to be one of the greatest repositories of occult and magick material in the world. Who know what type of stuff they get up to when they're behind closed doors.

Half Nelson

Self-mortification, fasting, abstinence and prayer are ways towards spiritual perfection and will not be understood by some, any more than the bleary-eyed, barstool sports fan can comprehend the disciplines of an Olympic gold medallist.

Monday Monday

"But it wasn't limited to this. As some members of his close entourage in Poland and in the Vatican were able to hear with their own ears, John Paul flagellated himself. In his armoire, amid all the vestments and hanging on a hanger, was a belt which he used as a whip and which he always brought to Castel Gandolfo," the papal retreat where John Paul vacationed each summer.

Name these members of his close entourage then?

He performed flagellatio on himself?

Marc Almond, eat your heart out.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies