• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New car sales down. So much for Michael Healy-Rae.

eyelight

New car sales down 7.6% last month

New car sales fell by 7.6 per cent in February, with 10,619 registrations last month.
It brings the total so far this year to 27,854, down 15 per cent on the first two months of 2012.
Good thing they didn't screw up the car registration system on some idiotic notion about the number 13.

Samell

I'm not buying a new car this year because I don't want to be seen supporting a Healy-Rae idea :cool:

commonman

I will not be buying a car because i cant afford to,remember the bullsh1t we were told when we join the euro that every thing will be the same price car and all .

B

Boggle

I will not be buying a car because i cant afford to,remember the bullsh1t we were told when we join the euro that every thing will be the same price car and all .
That was all anyone talked about when the vote was coming up and single-handedly got it through.

Then they made it a lie and people were like, wtf?!?!?

We are a stupid people. Politicians make promises to get what they want and then they lie.
We know this yet every time we seem surprised.

statsman

Of course, then we'd all have to pay the same taxes, property taxes, water charges and so on. And no complaining, either.

B

Boggle

Of course, then we'd all have to pay the same taxes, property taxes, water charges and so on. And no complaining, either.
Was going to write doesn't necessarily follow but it actually doesn't follow at all.

He is talking about being able to import cars, i.e. the free movement of goods and services, and you are talking about our financial independence.

Totally different. Taxation would have to be competitive or risk losing trade to other nations but that was the point.

Why else would cars be cheaper in England if not for us getting screwed by govt?
Instead of fixing that we let them rig the game!

ShoutingIsLeadership

Am I missing something? Surely this is as expected, and we can expect a corresponding year-on-year increase in sales for the early months of the 132 registrations?

B

Boggle

Am I missing something? Surely this is as expected, and we can expect a corresponding year-on-year increase in sales for the early months of the 132 registrations?
It was never going to double the annual sales like. I don't expect it to a huge effect though as 13-2 doesn't have near the same ring to it as 13 or 13-1.

The 13 bit will be out of date in 6 months!

Socratus O' Pericles

I never by a new car because they lose in excess of €1,000 when you drive' em off the forecourt.

Possibly the only thing I've ever agreed with Norman Lamont on:
This morning, Norman Lamont, a backbench Tory MP, will arise at 7.15 in his Notting Hill home and after breakfast will drive himself to his office at the House of Commons. In his second-hand Cavalier.

You what? I cried, are you not a director of Rothschild, the merchant bank? Do they not supply you with a flash car? Nope. He goes each day to their City office by Tube. 'My wife and I have always bought second-hand cars,' he said, lighting a cigar. 'New cars are a waste of money.'
Interview: Our Norman, remember him?: 'I'm a politician. I wish to hold office again. In politics, one can recover from anything. If you have not been in the valleys, you can't appreciate the mountain tops. . . . . .' Mr Lamont on his first un-Budget

Cato

I doubt that it will make much of a difference but we'll see.

L

longshortgrass

Yep...I bought in January and the dealer said the trade welcomed the year split, as the previous system was crazy in Q1....

EUrJokingMeRight

Why would ANYONE buy a 13-2 when you can buy a 14 in a few months?

Could someone look into if electing plankton is a possibility?

I've had enough of teachers!

B

Boggle

If people didn't buy in Jan or Feb, they have an incentive to hold off til July or August.
At which stage they'll have incentive to hold off until Jan next year and get the year out of all that money.
No point spending big and still having last years name plate!

The car is generally no different so most of them seem to buy js to have this years nameplate. 13, 13-1/13-2, its still the 2013 nameplate. They mightn't be so keen if there is only 6 months left on it.
Expect a bump but nothing massive.

Riverrush

That was all anyone talked about when the vote was coming up and single-handedly got it through.

Then they made it a lie and people were like, wtf?!?!?

We are a stupid people. Politicians make promises to get what they want and then they lie.
We know this yet every time we seem surprised.
Maybe we should have a Gombeen tax,the Gombeens are still out there in numbers.
The implementation could be a problem.

dizillusioned

All depends on your budget and what you spend money on. I am lucky I have few debts just my mortgage and the car. I like my car, I like being able to treat myself now and then to a new one. I don't drink I go out rarely to eat much preferring to have friends around and visit friends. The car is the only extravagance that I have. Yeah I know it is such a waste of money, but with my son gone finished school and living his own life what am I gonna spend that on?

Besides I like to have a clean polished car, spotless inside and out.

Socratus O' Pericles

All depends on your budget and what you spend money on. I am lucky I have few debts just my mortgage and the car. I like my car, I like being able to treat myself now and then to a new one. I don't drink I go out rarely to eat much preferring to have friends around and visit friends. The car is the only extravagance that I have. Yeah I know it is such a waste of money, but with my son gone finished school and living his own life what am I gonna spend that on?

Besides I like to have a clean polished car, spotless inside and out.
A season ticket at Goodison Park?petunia

ShoutingIsLeadership

At which stage they'll have incentive to hold off until Jan next year and get the year
out of all that money.
No point spending big and still having last years name plate!

The car is generally no different so most of them seem to buy js to have this years nameplate. 13, 13-1/13-2, its still the 2013 nameplate. They mightn't be so keen if there is only 6 months left on it.
Expect a bump but nothing massive.
I actually agree that people will hold off after August until 2014, but it will result in a spike in January again.

cabledude

Totally agree with him. New cars as an absolute waste of money. Too much goes to the tax man in VRT and Vat. I thought there was meant to be harmonisation of car VRT rates across Europe. Wasn't there something about a ruling in Europe about this???