• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New car scrappage scheme to be announced: Indo

kerrynorth

Allegedly a €2k scrappage allowance plus reduced car tax if you scrap yer auld banger for a new one - not that there is that many of them around for scrappage these days.

Factorem

If that's true, it's a disgrace.

You can see why the taxi drivers are so up in arms with stuff like this. The little fish's tax money is being used to feed the big fish.

Last edited:

spidermom

DAFT!

Sure now with the NCT who drives that much of a banger anymore(cept my jelly tot infested child bus! of course!)

Why does he fec8kng drop VAT and persuade southern shoppers to stay at home!

Tressell

Is there really need for a scrappage scheme. I know from checking the various outlets ie web-based, print and garages that there are PLENTY of bargains out there. The problem does appear however to be the fact that people don't have the money and banks etc.won't lend. I'm looking to change my 01 for a new one but can't get the loan, even my local CU have reduced the loan to share ratio.The scheme is welcomed I am sure but I believe its only tokenism.

Bobert

It's an attempt to give you an incentive to purchase a new car. It's also going to fail.

Tressell

Thats the problem, I want to buy a new one but can't get the loan. I'm sure there are a large % also in similar position to myself. I'll look at that 05 Skoda instead!

deepness

well maybe i'm mad but i drive a ten year old car and have been waiting to see if this does come in before I buy. Know a few other people waiting for the same thing. Not everyone is driving a 2 year old car...2 grand off and reduced motor tax would push me towards a new motor as opposed to a second hand one...

only thing is where will the finance for the rest of it come from..

DeGaulle 2.0

Website
ga.wikipedia.org
Surely the scrappage scheme should only apply if you buy a second-hand car - for example, if you replace your 12-year old car with a 2-year old car. This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars. It would be symbolic also - we are not a "new car" country any more.

deepness

This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars.

really really sick of the environment..and the green policies and the green effort like the 'switch the lights off' crap from last week..

seabhcan

Surely the scrappage scheme should only apply if you buy a second-hand car - for example, if you replace your 12-year old car with a 2-year old car. This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars. It would be symbolic also - we are not a "new car" country any more.
Now that is a good idea. It would also keep the money in the country rather than sending it to VW or Ford.

EarlyBird

Allegedly a €2k scrappage allowance plus reduced car tax if you scrap yer auld banger for a new one - not that there is that many of them around for scrappage these days.
There is always a catch..

Ford Mondeo 1.8TDCI

List Price in Ireland for the basic model: €26,695

Ford Mondeo 1.8TDCI 100PS LX - New Cars on Carzone.ie - New & Used Cars in Ireland

Ford Mondeo 1.8TDCI

Northern Ireland. Price:Stg £14,495 (€15,611).

Ireland Autotrader*****-*****cars..

Do the maths.

spidermom

Is there really need for a scrappage scheme. I know from checking the various outlets ie web-based, print and garages that there are PLENTY of bargains out there. The problem does appear however to be the fact that people don't have the money and banks etc.won't lend. I'm looking to change my 01 for a new one but can't get the loan, even my local CU have reduced the loan to share ratio.The scheme is welcomed I am sure but I believe its only tokenism.

Thats the very reason cars etc...are not selling!

Banks et al still not lending.....sort this out first!

Tressell

Food, beer, cigs, tvs, cars etc.etc. Well worth shopping up North.

Skin

A car scrappage scheme would benefit me in getting rid of my 10 yr car, but I would be wholly opposed to in principle. What is the point of the NCT if not to say whether your car is roadworhty or not?

We are all going to be hammered in the next budget and all of us will have less money to spend. The only feasible solution, menioned earlier, is to slash VAT to around 14% to bring prices down. This will get people spending again, better to have 14% of something than 21% of eff all.

kerrynorth

Stupid idea. We don't produce cars in this country - so it won't help keep jobs.
Absolutely. The UK, France, Germany, Italy and Spain will be the real beneficiaries with this.

H.R. Haldeman

Was speaking to an acquaintance in the motor trade recently. It was almost unbelievable what he was saying to me. Luxury brands like spanking new BMWs, Mercs and Audis are being sold on the QT by the importers (i.e. the car companies themselves) through various agents to anyone who'll take them at massive, massive discounts. Like, €30k for €80k cars and that sort of thing. By "various agents" I mean basically anyone who the importers know who might know someone who wants a car - salesmen finding buyers amongst friends, mechanics who come across people interested in cars, miscellaneous middle men etc. Basically, just trying to quietly get rid of as many cars as possible at what must be close on cost and in whatever formal or informal way possible.

My advice: if you want a new car, find a way of getting behind the curtain. Ask out of the side of your mouth. Slip the salesman a nifty 50. Whatever - you could be paying 50%+ off list price on a brand new luxury car. You just need an "in".

Ed: Edit to say I don't mean to imply there is anything illegal going on here or anything in contravention of revenue or due process wrt importation etc. Nothing like that. It's just very quiet selling.

ivnryn

Surely the scrappage scheme should only apply if you buy a second-hand car - for example, if you replace your 12-year old car with a 2-year old car. This would be more environmentally friendly as it would not lead to the environmental damage involved in the manufacture of new cars.
But the person you buy from will need to buy a new car (or the person they buy from etc.)

spidermom

Was speaking to an acquaintance in the motor trade recently. It was almost unbelievable what he was saying to me. Luxury brands like spanking new BMWs, Mercs and Audis are being sold on the QT by the importers (i.e. the car companies themselves) through various agents to anyone who'll take them at massive, massive discounts. Like, €30k for €80k cars and that sort of thing. By "various agents" I mean basically anyone who the importers know who might know someone who wants a car - salesmen finding buyers amongst friends, mechanics who come across people interested in cars, miscellaneous middle men etc. Basically, just trying to quietly get rid of as many cars as possible at what must be close on cost and in whatever formal or informal way possible.

My advice: if you want a new car, find a way of getting behind the curtain. Ask out of the side of your mouth. Slip the salesman a nifty 50. Whatever - you could be paying 50%+ off list price on a brand new luxury car. You just need an "in".

Ed: Edit to say I don't mean to imply there is anything illegal going on here or anything in contravention of revenue or due process wrt importation etc. Nothing like that. It's just very quiet selling.
Enough said you slip me the 30k and I will gladly dump the kids mobile for a coupe(red I think!!!)

(crafty beggars....ireland alive and well me thinks!!)

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies