New city in Midlands discussed among Cabinet to help population growth and housing

deepness

Seems bonkers to establish a new city. Why not develop the five cities we have? Dublin, Cork, Limerick, Galway and Waterford all have the potential to grow.

New city in Midlands discussed among Cabinet to help population growth and housing | Irish Examiner
Developing something in the midlands will only be an extension of Dublin. Developing what we have in the correct fashion would be best approach. A motorway connecting the ones outside Dublin would be a start, maybe a half decent train service.

As it is all roads lead to Dublin.

razorblade

Why a new city why not just invest further in Cork and Limerick as a better counter balance to Dublin, these places really need it.

If you want to counter-balance Dublin, you need to concentrate growth in one place. Developing five cities would waste the opportunity to create critical mass in one location as a viable and sustainable alternative to Dublin. The national Spatial Strategy in the Ahern years was a pile of crap, the usual parochial bullsh1t leading to 'something for everyone in the audience'.

I think that they are quite right to look at the midlands, and I suspect Athlone would be perfect.

Spanner Island

Developing something in the midlands will only be an extension of Dublin. Developing what we have in the correct fashion would be best approach. A motorway connecting the ones outside Dublin would be a start, maybe a half decent train service.

As it is all roads lead to Dublin.
There's controversy already about the dismal numbers using the Limerick - Galway rail service.

Replacement bridge to cost

“At the moment we have a train service between Galway and Limerick, two of the biggest cities in the country, with a handful of passengers and there are those among us who genuinely believe that the old rail track from Sligo to Tuam has potential. They are deluded,” Cllr Roche said.
I'm not convinced a country the size of Ireland really needs more cities tbh...

Dublin competes with other international cities and should be developed as such. It is not competing with Limerick or Cork or Galway or Waterford etc... all of which should be trying to develop as niche/support cities...

It's like the Shannon Stopover...

It thwarted route development for decades... the extent of which only became obvious after Open Skies... and yet for those decades we were told it thwarted nothing by local interests in the Midwest...

Same will happen if Dublin is neglected by trying to force development elsewhere.

The investment will just to go another country...

Burnout

Twitter
I have a life.

Toland

Website
www.aggressive-secularist.com
Is it really, though. Wikipedia has proven itself not the most reliable of sources.
They keep protesting that they are.

But isn't a city just a town with a bishop? (By the traditional definition)

Does it mean a CofI bishop or one of any religion?

Because if it's the latter I know a bishop of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (bless his noodly appendages!) church in Kinnegad.

Last edited:

Deadlock

If you want to counter-balance Dublin, you need to concentrate growth in one place. Developing five cities would waste the opportunity to create critical mass in one location as a viable and sustainable alternative to Dublin. The national Spatial Strategy in the Ahern years was a pile of crap, the usual parochial bullsh1t leading to 'something for everyone in the audience'.

I think that they are quite right to look at the midlands, and I suspect Athlone would be perfect.
I'd agree - a new town geographically centred between Mullingar, Athlone and Tullamore, with proper supports, could aid all four grow into something of a counterbalance.

razorblade

If any towns were to become cities surely it would be Dundalk or Drogheda, these are 2 of the largest towns in the country, surely it should be either or both of them if anyone.

Golden Phoenix

Portlaoise has been mentioned as being more central than Athlone. It certainly has potential, though Athlone has an Institute of Technology.

I think Limerick has great potential for expansion also.

But is there anyone in public administration with the skills and objectivity to make this happen? (or to make ANYTHING happen!)

Schuhart

Deadlock

If any towns were to become cities surely it would be Dundalk or Drogheda, these are 2 of the largest towns in the country, surely it should be either or both of them if anyone.
... by that logic Co. Kildare inter alia would acquire at least four new cities.

It's nice to see the Irish government finally cottoning on to the idea - 30 years after my Dad told them they needed to do it (build an entirely new city in or around Athlone, and put motorways and rail links up the centre of Ireland).

The mediocre always laugh up their sleeves at the clever at first, then pretend they knew it all along...

Mad as Fish

Why do we need a new city anyway, except of course that planners and land agents get off on the concept?

Plenty of smaller towns that could do with state support to develop themselves and it would avoid all the hassle associated with further centralisation.

HenryHorace

Absolutely stupid idea. Cork, Galway or Limerick would be far better placed for this type of idea. Personally i'd be gone to Galway in a heartbeat if the work and transport links where in place. So much potential in this fantastic country if only we didn't have these idiot politicians running the show on behalf of the elite.

Popular Threads

Most Replies