New daily journal from Right2Change Movment

The Floater

I have seen online posts from Brendan Ogle saying that the Right2 Change movement is hoping to produce a daily on line "journal" to fill a void that currently exists for a left leaning newspaper.Would such a paper have any chance of surviving in Ireland given (a) the fact that so many newspapers here have folded(no pun intended) and (b) the main newspaper magnet in the country is so powerful.

Levellers

We badly need an alternative source of news and facts rather than outlets owned by incompetent media fat cats and Pravda.

OldHat

What does right2change mean anyway?
Daft name for anything when you think about it.

Erudite Caveman

We badly need an alternative source of news and facts rather than outlets owned by incompetent media fat cats and Pravda.
It sounds suspiciously like the tendency in the US to want 'facts' that suit your firmly held beliefs. Not healthy.

Regarding new news sources, it is possible for new sources to provide proper balance (rather than provide soothing for people in a bubble who just don't like facing reality). Al Jazeera were written off as an Anti-American mouth piece when they launched in the teeth of the Iraq war, but they gained credibility pretty fast as a reliable alternative news source to the existing western news channels. On the other hand you have RT, which mixes decent programming with visits from someone who knows someone which result in editorial lines remarkably well suited to Putin.

However, in this instance it would be surprising if Ogle's idea was to do anything other than preach to the converted. An in-house magazine for lefties that have already made their mind up, and no amount of intrusion from the real world will change it, just like Fox News viewers.

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
I have seen online posts from Brendan Ogle saying that the Right2 Change movement is hoping to produce a daily on line "journal" to fill a void that currently exists for a left leaning newspaper.Would such a paper have any chance of surviving in Ireland given (a) the fact that so many newspapers here have folded(no pun intended) and (b) the main newspaper magnet in the country is so powerful.
depends who wins the unite leadership race i think, on which it will depend for funding

a movement for change he says, maybe something like momentum https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1765332663781309&set=a.1396533653994547.1073741828.100009137769889&type=3

Last edited:

Breanainn

Facts are facts no matter where they come from.
True, but all broadsheets are increasingly relying on "opinion" pieces, providing their interpretation of the news. Personally, I consider the Irish Examiner to be the most neutral daily.

Henry94.

We need balance across the media and we don't have it but this initiative will only work if it is reliable on the facts and has good interesting opinion writers. I'd certainly be willing to subscribe from day one to help it off the ground.

TheField

I have seen online posts from Brendan Ogle saying that the Right2 Change movement is hoping to produce a daily on line "journal" to fill a void that currently exists for a left leaning newspaper.
Sure, he'd just be preaching to the same small group of people all the time. The web is a awash with 'journals' and blogs of all sorts. Why would anyone read his trash above anyone else's trash??

OldHat

True, but all broadsheets are increasingly relying on "opinion" pieces, providing their interpretation of the news. Personally, I consider the Irish Examiner to be the most neutral daily.
Have to agree.
When I see a paper with an opinion piece as headline on front page I just turn away.

former wesleyan

What this will mean in practice is that the work of journalists in the field will be taken and reinterpreted to suit Brendan Ogles world view.

NoEUSSR

Most definitely not.
Ireland does not need another Fake News publication, we have plenty of them already and we certainly do not need one from Far Left extremists like right2change.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies