New ferry route - CORK to Santander, SPAIN

robut

First ever direct ferry route announced from Ireland to Spain

Brittany Ferries has announced what it says is the first ever direct ferry link between Ireland and Spain, with tickets for sale by the end of January.

The company will operate two direct return sailings weekly from Cork to Santander in Northern Spain, it says, from the end of April to November of this year.

A new ship will be chartered to serve the route, based on the économie model it already runs on services from the UK to France and Spain.

It will offer "a comfortable, no-frills service with a distinctly Spanish theme".

Crossings will take approximately 26 hours, with departures from Cork on Wednesdays and Fridays. Lead-in prices have yet to be announced.

The 'Connemara' will carry around 500 passengers with space for 195 cars, and the company expects a 50/50 split between passengers and freight carried.
Interesting move. Possibly, in part, prompted by BREXIT .. eventually having to bypass UK maybe??

SO - is 26 hours crossing a bit too long? BUT their must be a market for this otherwise the service would not be added? And of course Spanish, Portugese coming the opposite way to Ireland ..

Will this be a success long term?

Thoughts?

EDIT: IT IS GREAT NEWS BTW!!! ( Im just being devils advocate above! )

Last edited:

Roll_On

Would be worth it to bring bulky stuff across to the auld holiday gaff in the south of Spain, or if you were moving pets and didn't want to traumatise them with an airplane. 26hr ferry, 8 drive to the south minimum.

Disillusioned democrat

Would be worth it to bring bulky stuff across to the auld holiday gaff in the south of Spain, or if you were moving pets and didn't want to traumatise them with an airplane. 26hr ferry, 8 drive to the south minimum.
In fairness Britanny Ferries feel like a holiday anyway - on a decent day with reasonable seastate and a half decent cabin it could almost feel like a mini-cruise.

The hard part might be being 100% sober when you disembark and have to drive 10 hours.

DJP

Website
darrenjprior.blogspot.com
Twitter
https://twitter.com/DarrenJPrior

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
Rosslare-Le Harve was 22 hours last time went, so 26 hours is not the end of the world.

Clanrickard

Great news.

Noble Guardian

Twitter
@NobleGuardianIE
No idea what's in the region, though (apart from Bilbao).

silverharp

leaves you a long drive on the otherside to get anywhere decent. I doubt many would do it instead of their French "keycamp" holidays. It might create its own niche though

gerhard dengler

Biscay in choppy waters is an experience.

Good to see another route being opened up, and hopefully it will result in more trade in both directions.

Roll_On

I've to bring the parents to Seville in September, they've a few health complaints and wouldn't be the best flyers. I must check out how much it'd cost. I'd be afraid it'd be a bit grueling for me, 3 hours drive to Cork, 26 hr ferry (no idea how comfortable a ferry is these days) and 8 hours drive(not including stops) on the wrong side of the road. And most of all I'd have my parents with me :rolleyes:

Destiny's Soldier

26 hours isn't too long at all if the boat is of good quality.
In fact 26 hours is brilliant.

The Pont Aven does the Cork Roscoff route and that is a fine way to travel (14hrs to France) Quicker and more secure than Irish Ferries Rosslare to Roscoff (16hrs)

Ok now you land in France and drive. Where I go in France takes 7hrs on the road and I'm still 1.5hrs North of Bordeaux. Arrive in Spain and you have the campsites right nearby.

At 26 hrs aboard you can sit back enjoy the wine and entertainment and sleep for longer. 26 hrs of rough seas wouldn't be nice.

When the weather is good the boat is part of the adventure. When the weather is rough, it's not enjoyable.

I went on the Pont Aven in 2013 and the seas to France were described on MET.ie as "Very Rough to High". No fun there.

Destiny's Soldier

Actually what you see in France in June is all the "C" Reg plates on your Ford S Max or Ford Galaxy from Cork's fittest families. I'm guessing they'll be moving up to the 7 seater SUVs for 2018 -cause I'm getting one.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies