• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

New figures released for FGM

Rafael Rose

There were 5,700 new cases of female genital mutilation recorded in England in 2015-16, the first annual statistics show.

The figures, published on Thursday by the Health and Social Care Information Centre and covering the period of April 2015 to March 2016, show that in 18 cases the practice had been undertaken in the UK.

The age group for which FGM was most common was five- to nine-year-olds, accounting for 43% of the total number of cases where the age at the time of being cut was known.

In all there were 8,660 attendances where FGM was identified or a medical procedure for the practice was undertaken, according to the statistics, the first to be published since the government introduced compulsory reporting for NHS trusts and GP surgeries.

The Royal College of Nursing said more had to be done to end the practice, which has been illegal in the UK since 1985.
https://www.theguardian.com/society/2016/jul/21/england-fgm-cases-recorded-2015-2016

These figures are likely to increase over the next few years. I also feel that MGM should also be investigated as any mutilation in the name of religion should be also reported.

Dame_Enda

There have been no prosecutions for FGM in this country. There is no doubt though that it happens.

On your point on MGM - I agree in theory but male circumcision is so much a core aspect of Islam and Judaism that a ban would only drive it underground where it can't be regulated.

blokesbloke

As far as I know there has yet to be a single prosecution in the UK for FGM.

As long as it's illegal but the law unenforced, the law is effectively useless.

Half Nelson

As far as I know there has yet to be a single prosecution in the UK for FGM.

As long as it's illegal but the law unenforced, the law is effectively useless.
The State turns a blind eye to brutal sexual assaults on children.

What a thoroughly modern civilisation we've become!

Half Nelson

There have been no prosecutions for FGM in this country. There is no doubt though that it happens.

On your point on MGM - I agree in theory but male circumcision is so much a core aspect of Islam and Judaism that a ban would only drive it underground where it can't be regulated.
It's not regulated now.
It's not long since a child was killed in Ireland by a local man who was supposed to be handy with a rusty blade.

McTell

Twitter
No
In time, thousands of girls / ladies will sue the state for not enforcing the law.

Then we had a fake asylum claim from Mrs Izevbekhai wanting asylum so her girls could escape it. Lasted 6 years and cost us €1m!

First time a case made it all the way to the supreme court based on emm, photocopies. From Nigeria, natch. :lol:

€1m legal bill after Pamela and girls finally deported - Independent.ie

If it's illegal here, then all 3rd world migrants and jobseekers should have to sign a form saying they know they'll be deported if they go along with it.

It's not "cultural" or to do with "race", it's about controlling women.

FunkyBoogaloo

GPs, doctors, nurses should then be encouraged to report incidences where patients present themselves with signs of mutilation.

The practice - on boys and girls - should be wholly banned (except when necessary for medical reasons) and serious repercussions involved for any parent who has the procedure performed on their child, and the person who performs it.

I don't care what your religion is but no-one should have the right/freedom to tie a defenceless child down and hack bits of its body off because a supposedly holy book says so.

If the state has to remove children to safety and gaol their morally repugnant parents (who allow such barbarism) then that is what it should do.

stopdoingstuff

Dumb, cruel, backward cultural practices from bongo bongo land have no place in superior societies.

FunkyBoogaloo

You enter tricky waters here as far as the Jewish religion is concerned.
Screw the jewish religion. Nobody should be free to hack bits off a defenceless child in the name of religion. It's sick, twisted and completely amoral.

Florence

There is an NGO here AkiDwa dealing with migrant women's issues and a big issue they tackle is FGM. I heard that they had a education officer who was training GPs/health professionals to spot the signs of FGM. That is excellent if they have the resources to train all relevant professionals. But even some education is better than none. The thought of FGM makes me feel quite sick.

DT123

The law should make it quite clear that if children are found to have been genitally mutilated, that their parents will be prosecuted for GBH with Intent and whoever performed the mutilation with the same.

McTell

Twitter
No
The law is up to date here - 2012 is yesterday in terms of Irish law reform.

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2012/act/11/enacted/en/pdf

However there's a few sicko exclusions, giving our learned brethren in the law and medicine a chance to earn an extra crust or two:

(2) A person is not guilty of an offence under subsection (1) if—
(a) the act concerned is a surgical operation performed, by a person who is duly qualified to perform surgical oper- ations under the law of the place where the act is done, or has been professionally trained to perform surgical operations, on the girl or woman concerned, which is necessary for the protection of her physical or mental health,
(b) the act concerned is a surgical operation performed, by a person performing functions corresponding to those of a midwife or a registered medical practitioner, on the girl or woman concerned when she is in any stage of labour, or has just given birth, for purposes connected with the labour or birth,
(c) thepersonisthegirlorwomanonwhomtheactoffemale genital mutilation is done, or
(d) the act concerned is done to a woman who is not less than 18 years of age and there is no resultant permanent bodily harm.

Emily Davison

The law should make it quite clear that if children are found to have been genitally mutilated, that their parents will be prosecuted for GBH with Intent and whoever performed the mutilation with the same.

I wish they would prosecute. It's barbaric.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies