• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New internet tax

riven

codology

This is the dream internet service providers have i.e. to turn the internet into a fee payng vehicle where you would have to pay a fee to access the most popular sites like You Tube And Red Tube.Pie will obviously remain free.

ibis

I wouldn't be surprised - the language in the Bill is conveniently vague.

It would be impossible to police though.
No more than the licence, I think. Every broadband connection runs through an ISP, so the state need only demand access to subscriber records. Any and every broadband connection is capable or TV over Internet, so they simply slap a €160 fee on everyone who has a broadband connection and no TV licence.

It's probably to cover against the trend of cable companies offering TV-over-Internet, while subscribers say "but I have no TV".

Factorem

Irish Internet Tax.

Nail in the coffin of the knowledge economy.

Take a bow Minister Ryan and your Green Party.

draiocht23

No more than the licence, I think. Every broadband connection runs through an ISP, so the state need only demand access to subscriber records. Any and every broadband connection is capable or TV over Internet, so they simply slap a €160 fee on everyone who has a broadband connection and no TV licence.

It's probably to cover against the trend of cable companies offering TV-over-Internet, while subscribers say "but I have no TV".
I don't think the State can demand subscriber records. Unless they change a law that would allow them.

uriah

And someone must pay GRyan's inflated salary.

ectoraige

Website
www.helgrim.com
Stochastic Geometry

Is the reasoning behind this correct?
Nope, it makes assumptions about the definition of a broadcasting service.

The relevant definition is

“broadcasting service” means a service which comprises a compilation
of programme material of any description and which is transmitted,
relayed or distributed by means of an electronic communications
network, directly or indirectly for simultaneous or near-
simultaneous reception by the general public, whether that material
is actually received or not
, and where the programmes are provided
in a pre-scheduled and linear order, but does not include:
(a) a service provided for viewing in a non-linear manner
where each viewer chooses a programme from a catalogue of programmes, or
(b) other audio and audiovisual services provided by way of
the Internet;
This excludes all on-demand services. Some people have suggested streaming content such as Dail TV still qualifies, but it is not streamed to the general public whether the material is received or not. They would have to be sending the content to every Irish Internet address to come under the definition of a broadcast service.

Somebody treats legislation as loose English and comes to the wrong conclusion. Aren't blogs great?

cantenaccio

This is the kind of issue that in other EU countries people would be out in the streets over.The Irish attitude is "ah isn't it terrible ect" and people go back about their lives,and pay the tax.We're alot more British minded than we like to think

ibis

Looking at it again, though, we have this bit:

“television set” means any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on 40 the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;
That seems to cover computers, but...

“broadcasting service” means a service which comprises a compilation of programme material of any description and which is transmitted, relayed or distributed by means of an electronic communications network, directly or indirectly for simultaneous or near-simultaneous reception by the general public, whether that material is actually received or not, and where the programmes are provided in a pre-scheduled and linear order, but does not include:
(a) a service provided for viewing in a non-linear manner where each viewer chooses a programme from a catalogue of programmes, or
(b) other audio and audiovisual services provided by way of the Internet;
So it would essentially cover watching TV on your computer via a feed, but not watching Youtube ("other audio and audiovisual services") or even RTE archives ("a service provided for viewing in a non-linear manner where each viewer chooses a programme from a catalogue of programmes"). Nor would it cover any sort of pick and mix video-over-internet service.

Not as broad as it first appears.

DS-09

This is proposterous- how can they tax the internet? Don't we pay enough for a T.V. licence (for very low-quality nonsense a lot of the time)- the government cannot, and do not have the right to tax the internet, because it is not run by them- this is just theft

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
This Bill definitely targets PCs. :( I did think the recent budget was going to introduce a tax/licence on computers using broadband.

• any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;

ectoraige

Website
www.helgrim.com
This Bill definitely targets PCs. :( I did think the recent budget was going to introduce a tax/licence on computers using broadband.

• any electronic apparatus capable of receiving and exhibiting television broadcasting services broadcast for general reception (whether or not its use for that purpose is dependent on the use of anything else in conjunction with it) and any software or assembly comprising such apparatus and other apparatus;
Look again at the definition of a television broadcast. Downloaded and streamed videos are not broadcasting services.

cantenaccio

Anything is possible from the Dun Leary pellet stove and organic eco yummy mummy brigade...

ibis

I heard they are introducting a tax on gullibility in the December budget.
That should be quite sufficient to cover the gap in government finances, unfortunately.

Andrew49

Twitter
AndrewSB49
Look again at the definition of a television broadcast. Downloaded and streamed videos are not broadcasting services.
PCs that run Windows Vista Home Premium or Windows Vista Ultimate are sold with a TV tuner installed. If your PC didn't come with a TV tuner, you can add one at any time.

With one TV tuner, you can:
* Watch, pause, and rewind live TV on one channel
* Record TV on one channel
* Watch a show that you have previously recorded while you record another show

With two TV tuners, you can:

* Watch live TV on one channel and record a show on a different channel
* Record two different TV shows that are on two different channels at the same time
* Watch a show that you have previously recorded while two shows are recording at the same time, on two different channels

TV tuner card