New Ipsos/Irish Times opinion poll

statsman

hammer

In contrast with Mr Varadkar’s 49 per cent satisfaction rating, the rating for the Fianna Fáil leader Micheál Martin (37 per cent), the Sinn Féin leader Gerry Adams (30 per cent) and the Labour leader Brendan Howlin (20 per cent) all declined marginally since May.

Jaysus didn`t Mehole used to be about 50% ahead of everyone :)

FG & FFAIL IMF heading back towards the 70% mark

( Solidarity at 2% - what a shower of muppets )

statsman

I will never understand the wide appeal of the centre right.
We're a pragmatic people, and we're not keen on either ideology or change. The centre right (a baggy enough term, really) is what we're used to, so we stick with it.

This is post is intended as descriptive and should not be taken ans an indication of approval, although on balance I find it reassuring that neither the Trots or Renua will ever govern us.

Marcos the black

Another poll with FG at 30% or more. Steady. Leo is proving popular in spite of the p.ie brain trust outbursts.
Howlin in trouble.

Man or Mouse

Another poll with FG at 30% or more. Steady. Leo is proving popular in spite of the p.ie brain trust outbursts.
Howlin in trouble.
More than Howlin. Labour might be over at that rate of going. Greens could pass them by now.

meriwether

Labour are done.

At the top, it's still nip and tuck.

The next govt will be an FG FF coalition, the only question is who will be top dog.

This will then precipitate a full merger in the next ten years.

It looks like SF will head the left block in this new order.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I will never understand the wide appeal of the centre right.

Well, when the media collectively refers to any voice from the left as being "far left", it normalises centre-right politics. Also, people are selfish, and centre right politics is about reducing personal income taxes, and increasing direct taxes...which hit those on low and fixed incomes (those people who don't get up in the morning).

Then there are the thick people who despite all evidence to the contrary, see themselves as some better middle class rather than the working class they really are, and the very people who would benefit from centre left policies, better public services and a more equal society.

Also, the lack of a decent left alternative is a huge problem.

ShoutingIsLeadership

Labour are done.

At the top, it's still nip and tuck.

The next govt will be an FG FF coalition, the only question is who will be top dog.

This will then precipitate a full merger in the next ten years.

It looks like SF will head the left block in this new order.

What benefit is a merger to either party? I can see lots of downsides for the ordinary member and TD

statsman

Well, when the media collectively refers to any voice from the left as being "far left", it normalises centre-right politics. Also, people are selfish, and centre right politics is about reducing personal income taxes, and increasing direct taxes...which hit those on low and fixed incomes (those people who don't get up in the morning).

Then there are the thick people who despite all evidence to the contrary, see themselves as some better middle class rather than the working class they really are, and the very people who would benefit from centre left policies, better public services and a more equal society.

There is no centre left party you could vote for any more, is there? People want to vote for someone, and if you can't vote SF or Trot and would prefer not to vote Indo, where can you turn? The SDs are seen as not so much a party as a platform for two Indo TDs, the Greens are still seen as a single-issue pressure group who sold their souls, so what does that leave.

The next GE may be the first one where I was in the country but didn't vote.

hammer

A bit harsh even for you.

hammer

There is no centre left party you could vote for any more, is there? People want to vote for someone, and if you can't vote SF or Trot and would prefer not to vote Indo, where can you turn? The SDs are seen as not so much a party as a platform for two Indo TDs, the Greens are still seen as a single-issue pressure group who sold their souls, so what does that leave.

SF IRA aren`t an alternative for any normal decent person :)

meriwether

What benefit is a merger to either party? I can see lots of downsides for the ordinary member and TD
There's no point being separate anymore given their declines from peak.

The current situation is akin to the 'sunningdale for slow learners' quip about the gfa.

It's sort of coalition, but not quite. Like holding on to your virginity by giving a blozzer.
Next time, they'll do it in bed properly. Like man and wife (or same sex couple).

Man or Mouse

So if a policy calls for a man wearing a dress to be allowed use the women loo, is it likely to be called left or extreme left? These things become attached to the not so extreme left and that is their problem.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I have been able to vote for Stephen Donnelly in the last two GE. I stopped there.

Now that he's FF, I am in the same boat. No idea who I can vote for.

ShoutingIsLeadership

There's no point being separate anymore given their declines from peak.

The current situation is akin to the 'sunningdale for slow learners' quip about the gfa.

It's sort of coalition, but not quite. Like holding on to your virginity by giving a blozzer.
Next time, they'll do it in bed properly. Like man and wife (or same sex couple).

Yeah, but how does the electorate do tweedle dum and tweedle dee voting, if they merge? It could become very stale very quickly.

statsman

Howlin in trouble.
Vlad appeals to a certain cohort of voters who are inevitably under-represented on P.ie; young voters with no particular interest in politics.

Howlin was the wrong choice, but I don't think it matters who leads Labour any more.

Martin is in the doldrums and is a lucky boy that the rest of his parliamentary party are so poor.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies