• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

"New" IRA admits that it killed journalist in Londonderry

Hillmanhunter1

You have called for posters you disagree with to be banned, and suggested that you have drawn up a list here:

After you wrongly accused people, including me, of being apologists for murder, as you done here:

That may or may not be the case, but anyone could make a similar claim about anyone opposed to the GFA, when it happened, 21 years ago, up to and including the largest unionist party, the DUP.

My opposition to political violence isn't conditional on support or opposition to any referendum. The GFA was signed more than 20 years ago, and what separates me and the overwhelming majority of people from you and your fellow travelers, is that we're not looking for brownie points for living ordinary, mundane and peaceful lives, whereas the difference with the thuggery you endorse, and the thuggery of your opponents, is quantitative, and that's the reason you come across as an out-and-out scumbag, while trying to occupy the higher moral ground.
I have called for posters to be banned, that's not incompatible with believing in free speech - some posters have crossed the line into incitement to hatred, others engage in nothing more than childish trolling, and in both of those circumstances they should be banned - I imagine you may in fact agree?

As for being an apologist for murder, if you are willing to describe the killers of Lyra McKee as criminals and to call upon anyone with information about the killers to go to the authorities then I unreservedly withdraw that.

As for the DUP, yes they opposed the GFA, but they accepted the result of the referendum and operated the framework it created. That is very different to Saoradh/New IRA - you are drawing a false equivalence.

I have read your final paragraph 3 times and I have no idea what you are saying.

Antóin Mac Comháin

I have called for posters to be banned, that's not incompatible with believing in free speech - some posters have crossed the line into incitement to hatred, others engage in nothing more than childish trolling, and in both of those circumstances they should be banned - I imagine you may in fact agree?
Oh please. Give the dramatics a rest for a day. If you are capable of accusing me in the wrong, you are capable of accusing other people, but I don't be paying any attention to other peoples quarrels, so it mostly skips over my head.

"I believe in the rule of law" - Rosemary Nelson

On March 15th 1999, some two weeks later, Rosemary Nelson was blown up and killed as she drove to work - The Murder of Rosemary Nelson

I believe Rosemary Nelson was a right thinking person and a law-abiding citizen, and given the unique circumstances pertaining in the 6 Counties, I don't think it's unreasonable to suggest that there is still an abnormal policing problem, despite 25 years of relative peace. It depends on what you define as 'a right thinking person.' I think the British Secret Services are putting peoples lives in danger, every time they recruit vulnerable people to act as informants against an imaginary threat, so no, you won't brow-beat me into supporting the practice..
As for being an apologist for murder, if you are willing to describe the killers of Lyra McKee as criminals and to call upon anyone with information about the killers to go to the authorities then I unreservedly withdraw that.
I can't see any contradiction in being opposed to the killers of Nelson and the killing of McKee, and I would contact a solicitor if I was unfortunate enough to have strayed upon such a scene.

Mr Carthy does not accept the democratic wishes of the people of Ireland - he does not accept the Good Friday Agreement.

Read his interview with Martin Galvin here:
Packy Carty – The Transcripts
As for the DUP, yes they opposed the GFA, but they accepted the result of the referendum and operated the framework it created. That is very different to Saoradh/New IRA - you are drawing a false equivalence.
I think it's somewhat ironic that they would be more interested in your analogies and your analysis of the Anglo-Irish Conflict than I am, but I might have a listen to the interview you posted at some stage, although I already have my mind made up on Nationalism and I don't feel the need to have my views endorsed by the electorate, nor any of the current Irish Republican or Nationalist organizations or parties.

I have read your final paragraph 3 times and I have no idea what you are saying.
Antóin Mac Comháin said: 'My opposition to political violence isn't conditional on support or opposition to any referendum.'

I don't think it could be any more straight forward.

Antóin Mac Comháin said: 'The GFA was signed more than 20 years ago, and what separates me and the overwhelming majority of people from you and your fellow travelers, is that we're not looking for brownie points for living ordinary, mundane and peaceful lives.'

Again, I don't think it could be any more straight forward.

Antóin Mac Comháin said: 'The difference with the thuggery you endorse, and the thuggery of your opponents, is quantitative, and that's the reason you come across as an out-and-out scumbag, while trying to occupy the higher moral ground.'

Which words are you struggling with? 'thuggery?', 'endorse?', 'opponents?', 'quantitative?' 'scumbag?'

I think people who try to exploit eyewitnesses and relatives of victims of violence are reprehensible, whether its criminal or political. I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were ignorant and didn't understand the difference between the Civil Rights Movement and Sinn Féin, and again, between Sinn Féin and the Provisional Irish Republican Army.

When I said 'the difference with the thuggery you endorse, and the thuggery of your opponents, is quantitative', I specifically meant the thuggery of the organization responsible for the death of Patrick Rooney in 1969, and dozens of other murders up as far as the killing of Rosemary Nelson in 1999, and the thuggery of the people responsible for the death of Lyra McKee, is that the former are responsible for a disproportionate amount of the net total of the thuggery, and again, I don't think it could be any more straight forward.

I don't see much of a difference between the behavior of the Old RUC, and the behavior of the people who we were led to believe, fired shots into a crowd of people in Derry, resulting in the death of Lyra McKee, and again, I don't think it could be any more straight forward.

Last edited:

Hillmanhunter1

I can't see any contradiction in being opposed to the killers of Nelson and the killing of McKee, and I would contact a solicitor if I was unfortunate enough to have strayed upon such a scene.
Those are the weasel words of an apologist, and I will not let you squirm away.

You refused to describe the murderers of Lyra McKee as criminals, and you failed to say that anyone with information should go to the authorities.

All the rest is just blather!

Antóin Mac Comháin

Those are the weasel words of an apologist, and I will not let you squirm away.

You refused to describe the murderers of Lyra McKee as criminals, and you failed to say that anyone with information should go to the authorities.

All the rest is just blather!
Nope. I told you what I would do if I found myself in the unfortunate situation of being an eyewitness. I never suggested what anyone else should do. I don't see the contradiction in upholding the law, being a law abiding citizen, 'believing in the rule of law' to paraphrase Rosemary Nelson, and at the same time, being opposed to the thuggery which led to the death of Rooney, Nelson and McKee, regardless of how people voted in a referendum more than 20 years ago. It's really not that complicated, but if you want to pretend there's a world of difference between 'criminal' and 'thuggery', knock yourself out!

Hillmanhunter1

Nope. I told you what I would do if I found myself in the unfortunate situation of being an eyewitness. I never suggested what anyone else should do. I don't see the contradiction in upholding the law, being a law abiding citizen, 'believing in the rule of law' to paraphrase Rosemary Nelson, and at the same time, being opposed to the thuggery which led to the death of Rooney, Nelson and McKee, regardless of how people voted in a referendum more than 20 years ago. It's really not that complicated, but if you want to pretend there's a world of difference between 'criminal' and 'thuggery', knock yourself out!
Bollox, bollox, bollox.

Stop with the undergraduate sophistry. I asked you twice if you would describe the murderers of Lyra McKee as criminals, and if you would say that anyone with information should go to the authorities.

You have demurred.

There is only one cohort unable to say these words, those who sympathise with her murderers.

Hillmanhunter1

This is Mandy Duffy. Mandy is the Vice-Chairperson of Saoradh:

Mandy is a sister-in-law of Colin Duffy, a prominent figure in criminal "republican" circles.

Hillmanhunter1

Hillmanhunter1

Now go troll elsewhere with your bigoted nonsense.
Do you support Saoradh?

Yes or no?

No weasel words, or smart-alickery, or trolling other contributors.

antidistinctlyminty (ADM)

Can't find that one in the media but came across the one about the unionist councillor who was kicked out of his party for distributing untruthful content about his opponents in leaflets he distributed during the election campaign.
In the great scheme of things, arranging for your brother, who had admitted to him that he was a paedophile, to work with children is far worse than distributing leaflets with untruthful content

Mickeymac

In the great scheme of things, arranging for your brother, who had admitted to him that he was a paedophile, to work with children is far worse than distributing leaflets with untruthful content

Disgusting comments on this Lyra McKee thread, no evidence at all her brother or family had anything to do with any paedophilia.

Should hang your head in shame.

Hillmanhunter1

I came to this thread to praise Lyra....certainly not to demonise her pal.
No, you came on this thread to deflect criticism of the criminals who killed her.

Should hang your head in shame.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies