• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New Irish "National Anthem"

firefighter

Just watching the boxing match live from Letterkenny here on RTE2.

The "national anthems" are playing. Some bagpipe mystic-Celtic music was played for the Barry Morrrison (Scotland).

For Paul McCloskey (Ireland), Danny Boy was played!

Yes, everyone was told to stand for the "national anthems". I'm not joking!

The Boxing Union of Ireland should hang their heads in shame.

Were they afraid God Save the Queen and Amhran na bhFiann would kick off a riot or something?

Should be up on RTE player soon.

rubensni

This is normal since McCloskey's from the North. They use Danny Boy (or the Londonderry Air, depending on what side of the fence you sit on) as their anthem in sports.

The Northern Ireland team will use it in the Commonwealth Games over in India this month...assuming they win anything ;)

Risteard

It's called the Derry Air, not Danny Boy.

Danny Boy is to the tune of the Derry Air.

Presumably Flower of Scotland was played for the Scot. And rugby should be banned until such time as they have the decency to play our National Anthem, Amhrán na bhFiann. Likewise boxing.

Incidentally, the first line does not contain the word "Fianna" but laochra.

Risteard

This is normal since McCloskey's from the North. They use Danny Boy (or the Londonderry Air, depending on what side of the fence you sit on) as their anthem in sports.
No such thing. The official name is "an Irish Tune from the County Derry" - so it is the DERRY Air.

rubensni

No such thing. The official name is "an Irish Tune from the County Derry" - so it is the DERRY Air.
You know what I meant by it. Grow up.

Risteard

What's wrong with God Save the Queen?
It's foreign and used by those who illegally claim this country. Therefore it is anti-Irish as well.

firefighter

Between the EU "approving" our budget, and everyone deciding what national anthem suits them, we'll be lucky to have any kind of Irish Republic in 10 years' time.

I'd certainly prefer London over Brussels.

Cruimh

says who ? been talking on the Ouija board to the old fraud again ? ;)

History

It was George Petrie who gave the "Londonderry Air" its title in his compendium of Irish Music, the Ancient Music of Ireland, which was published in 1855. The melody was supplied to Petrie by Jane Ross of Newtown Limavady and he acknowledged her contribution as follows:

For the following beautiful air I have to express my very grateful acknowledgement to Miss J Ross of Newtown Limavady in the County of Londonderry​

firefighter

The RTE commentators introduced it as Frank Patterson's "Danny Boy". The words "Londonderry Air" weren't uttered.

According to one of his trainers sporting a customised tracksuit, apparently he's "English and Irish". So that explains it...

firefighter

Great piss-up in Letterkenny tonight I'd say.

Let's just hope the notorious Donegal boy racers don't do anything stupid. Boxing matches are magnets for these kind of people.

beamish2010

Ireland's Call.

Let replace the current national anthem because I think it's outdated and
replace it with Ireland's Call like what they sing in the rugby matches something
more modern and relevant for today.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies