• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

New(ish) group "Men’s Voices Ireland" engages with Irish politicians

afns1

This is a new group for me. They also didn't show up on a quick search of this site.

Mens Voices 2016 - Home

​​MEN’S VOICES IRELAND
Men’s Voices Ireland is a group dedicated to:

- claiming space in the national conversation for issues of concern to men and boys
- addressing the injustices experienced by men and boys in our society.

Election 2016
Towards the middle of 2014, a number of men, troubled by the ongoing side-lining and neglect of male issues in our country, began meeting in order to share their experiences and insights; and to discuss how the various injustices towards men and boys we were so keenly aware of might be addressed.

An effective first move, it was decided, was to take advantage of the 2016 election as a platform on which to raise awareness of the issues we had been discussing. The election afforded us the opportunity to contact all candidates and political parties to A) highlight what we observed to be serious national neglect in six key areas:

1. DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AGAINST MEN and The Istanbul Convention.
2. MALE SUICIDE
3. BOYS FAILING IN EDUCATION
4. FAMILY LAW INJUSTICES
5. HOMELESSNESS
6. FALSE ALLEGATIONS OF CHILD ABUSE AND RAPE

and B) to ask for their response to two questions:

Question 1. Do you agree that the issues outlined are deserving of urgent attention?

Question 2. If elected, will you speak out publicly on these issues?

For information on why we regard each of these selected issues to be of such concern, see under the appropriate heading in the top-left drop-down menu.

Responses
We received responses from 58 candidates across all parties. 13 of these have been elected.

For a digest of these responses, see 'CANDIDATES' RESPONSES' in the top-left drop-down menu.
They also made a presentation in June to invited members of both houses of the Oireachtas.
Leinster House Presentation - Mens Voices 2016

I think this is important development. I think there needs to be specific groups raising men's issues.
Only looking at issues as they affect women can lead to problems e.g. the presentation of domestic violence as something men do to women when actually a significant percentage of it involves women abusing men and another significant percentage involves both partners as abusers and abusees.

Mercurial

Some of these issues seem more important than others. I don't think the educational disparities are as significant as one might think, given that it's harder for women to convert educational achievements into economic advantages, for example, and false rape accusations tend to be overblown rather than under-scrutinized.

If only there were some concept that could explain the way in which society promotes toxic ideas about masculinity that inflict these various harms upon men.

Betson

I don't think the educational disparities are as significant as one might think, .
If the figures were the other way around and girls were dropping out of school at the rate boys are now , or not going on to 3rd level at near the rates as males were or that over 70% of teachers were male you would be one of the ones shouting loudest about the sexism rife in the educational system , of course if the figures were reversed there would be task forces and measures left right and centre by now to address the imbalance.

Even new the new UK PM has made the point a few times now about while males from working class arrears been the most excluded group from third level education, she is first to mention it despite numerous reports for years now stressing this imbalance.

Mercurial

If the figures were the other way around and girls were dropping out of school at the rate boys are now , or not going on to 3rd level at near the rates as males were or that over 70% of teachers were male you would be one of the ones shouting loudest about the sexism rife in the educational system , of course if the figures were reversed there would be task forces and measures left right and centre by now to address the imbalance.

Even new the new UK PM has made the point a few times now about while males from working class arrears been the most excluded group from third level education, she is first to mention it despite numerous reports for years now stressing this imbalance.
As I mentioned in the part of my comment you omitted, it's harder for women to turn educational advantages into economic advantages, which makes the disparities less significant as a result. Women do better in school but still end up earning less than men.

Betson

As I mentioned in the part of my comment you omitted, it's harder for women to turn educational advantages into economic advantages, which makes the disparities less significant as a result. Women do better in school but still end up earning less than men.
And how exactly is that relevant to the group of males that are been excluded from third level education ?

Cruimh

This is a new group for me. They also didn't show up on a quick search of this site.

Mens Voices 2016 - Home

They also made a presentation in June to invited members of both houses of the Oireachtas.
Leinster House Presentation - Mens Voices 2016

I think this is important development. I think there needs to be specific groups raising men's issues.
Only looking at issues as they affect women can lead to problems e.g. the presentation of domestic violence as something men do to women when actually a significant percentage of it involves women abusing men and another significant percentage involves both partners as abusers and abusees.
I suspect they are unsound on the national question.

Apart from not mentioning it, their site is English only :shock2:

Betson

It suggests that they aren't as badly off as one might think.
By been excluded more from third level education than other groups , your reasoning is completely warped , I have rarely seen as anyone as bigoted as you. Only the likes of you are far worse than the usual bigots as you try to hide it under a veil of PC supremacy.

I don't know if something if something happened to you in your childhood etc but your hatred of men and especially straight men just oozes out of you and every argument you make, maybe you should see someone about it.

Polybius

Some of these issues seem more important than others. I don't think the educational disparities are as significant as one might think, given that it's harder for women to convert educational achievements into economic advantages, for example, and false rape accusations tend to be overblown rather than under-scrutinized.

If only there were some concept that could explain the way in which society promotes toxic ideas about masculinity that inflict these various harms upon men.
What cultural Marxists like you call "toxic masculinity" is actually what made the world great. It invented agriculture, it built the pyramids, it created industry, it sent people to the moon. What has your gay feminazi crap invented?

Watcher2

I

If this was about a traditionally marginalised grouping you would have had a stronger post. You are pathetic.

Polly Ticks

They sound like drama queens, TBH, but why not have a men's issues group? If they gain enough traction and represent enough people, then they are entitled to present their views...

GDPR

The whole Neo-Misogynist/Manoshere/Men's Rights movement is the opposite side of the same poisonous coin as "Third Wave"/Hipster Feminism and if anything is worse.

Analyzer

A copycat of feminist opportunists in search of easy money in the institutional state, as a means to buy consensus.

Polybius

The whole Neo-Misogynist/Manoshere/Men's Rights movement is the opposite side of the same poisonous coin as "Third Wave"/Hipster Feminism and if anything is worse.
The growth of the men's rights movement is simply a response to excesses of 21st century Western feminism. If the feminist extremists stopped spreading lies about men then the MRAs would go away.

Polybius

A copycat of feminist opportunists in search of easy money in the institutional state, as a means to buy consensus.
There's a lot of well paid jobs in the victim industry. Quangos and "charities" are all trying to out victim each other in the quest for funding. I doubt Chuck Feeney will be giving any money to Men's groups though. He prefers to give his millions to LGBT and immigrant victimologists.

statsman

I'm a white Western male and hardly a day goes by when I'm not made acutely aware of my privileged position relative to about 80% of the world's population.

Last edited:

GDPR

The growth of the men's rights movement is simply a response to excesses of 21st century Western feminism. If the feminist extremists stopped spreading lies about men then the MRAs would go away.
Not true; the people behind the MRAs are as often as not homosexual supremacists or belong to an ethnic group with a deep hatred of historic Western Civilization. They play on the sense of entitlement and bitterness that a lot of middle class males have due to their disempowerment due the reorganizing of power structures in the West after the Cold War and the global recession.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies