• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New Labour party leader, an opertunity not to be wasted

NEW LABOUR

What a bleak future we face.
Gilmore, Broughan, Burton.
The party seem very quick to put Ruari Quinn forward as the architect of the Celtic Tiger, but then run a mile when it comes to changing the party to reflect the fruits of his good work.
Labour need a young energetic person, who is recognised as having lived with the tiger (not always weary of it ) and whose policies will not only appeal to the disadvantaged but to the wider electorate.
This party needs to embrace all residents of the country, rich and poor.
We need to promote policies that end the constant firefighting of todays regime.
We need to stop jumping on the shirt tails of every small issue that arises and look at a much wider long term picture.
(Did you notice not one negative sentiment)

Step up Sean Sherlock and answer the call

Insider2007

Not another flaming thread on this. Jesus. The Sean Sherlock groupies are almost as bad as the Ron Paul ones. And equally diluded.

seanieoh

NEW LABOUR said:
The party seem very quick to put Ruari Quinn forward as the architect of the Celtic Tiger, but then run a mile when it comes to changing the party to reflect the fruits of his good work.
Labour need a young energetic person, who is recognised as having lived with the tiger (not always weary of it ) and whose policies will not only appeal to the disadvantaged but to the wider electorate.
We need to promote policies that end the constant firefighting of todays regime.
We need to stop jumping on the shirt tails of every small issue that arises and look at a much wider long term picture.

All fine and grand but Labour also needs a Leader who can win against the odds. One who is a graffter on the ground but presentable to the middle ground. One who has grown the local party by about 300%. A leader who is there for at least the next 3 elections. A person who is young enough to appeal to the young but not too young to frighten away the middle aged and the business classes.... Step up Ciaran Lynch.

Inverness

NEW LABOUR said:
Agree 100%

FoxInTheHenhouse

seanieoh said:
NEW LABOUR said:

All fine and grand but Labour also needs a Leader who can win against the odds. One who is a graffter on the ground but presentable to the middle ground. One who has grown the local party by about 300%. A leader who is there for at least the next 3 elections. A person who is young enough to appeal to the young but not too young to frighten away the middle aged and the business classes.... Step up Ciaran Lynch.
Seems to me you chose your words specifically to exclude Sean Sherlock - 'young but not too young to frighten away the middle aged and the business classes'. Come on, who are we kidding here, I'm not necessarily a Sherlock booster, but setting those parameters to exclude him in favour of Lynch is disingenuous to say the least. They've both got a lot to offer, but the fact that Lynch, at 43, is close to the youngest TD a smaller party (and let's not kid ourselves on that) has got is pretty grim. Sherlock, at 34, and with the good fortune to look younger, is a major asset for a party otherwise characterised as grey. I remember seeing him as a studio guest on the Week in Politics shortly after the election, and it seemed bizarre. Why? Because someone with just the one chin, no grey hair and a fresh face was appearing on camera was up there for Labour. With Gilmore looking like a lock for the leadership, but the party needing a major reinvention, putting a young face beside him as the number 2 could only help to counter the image of Labour as a middle-aged (and above) party with little to say to today's younger people. Lynch would tick most of the boxes, but Sherlock isn't exactly a rookie. Yes, like Lynch, he is a first time TD, but Jesus, the family is steeped in politics. In the past, Labour hasn't been afraid to put new TDs in prominent places. Now is the time for the party to step up and do it again.

Cael

Im afraid, once the Stickies infect an organisation, its very hard to get rid of them.

As for appealing to both rich and poor, the only way you can do this is by openly lying to the poor -as FF does.

FoxInTheHenhouse

Cael said:
Im afraid, once the Stickies infect an organisation, its very hard to get rid of them.

As for appealing to both rich and poor, the only way you can do this is by openly lying to the poor -as FF does.
So it's FF's fault that the 'poor'vote for them? When exactly do the 'poor' start taking responsibility for their own political choices?

gaelach

Cael said:

Or continually improving the lives of all the State's citizens-as FF does.

Do you think the poor of Ireland to be stupid Cael?

jerryp

Jesus, Fox I never thought Sherlock was 34, I thought mid-twenties. He should market whatever it is he is using to achieve that look ! I still think his ambition should be deputy leader and let him learn the ropes of Dáil Eireann first. I've heard he has experience of working in Brussells with some EU body and that should stand to him.

Cael

gaelach said:
Cael said:

What do you call people who vote for the party that oversaw the transfer of 20% of Ireland's wealth to 1% of the population? Or that allowed house prices to soar to insane levels in a country 4% urbanised?

I would say you call them one of the 1% or stupid.

CJH

Cael said:
gaelach said:
Cael said:

What do you call people who vote for the party that oversaw the transfer of 20% of Ireland's wealth to 1% of the population? Or that allowed house prices to soar to insane levels in a country 4% urbanised?

I thought you irredentist Republicans loved the Irish people? Or is only for the mythical, never-existent fantasies of "Ireland" that you (ahem) fight?

Cael

CJH said:
Cael said:
gaelach said:
Cael said:

I thought you irredentist Republicans loved the Irish people? Or is only for the mythical, never-existent fantasies of "Ireland" that you (ahem) fight?
Define "irredentist."

fran

sean sherlock

actually in reality sherlock looks closer to 44 years than 34 years - not so fresh faced in the flesh .

fran

watching and listening to sherlock - he does not impress me greatly - even though he should be enthusiatic as he new - but seems to talk the same old waffle and spin as alot of politicians

An Gilladaker

Is that true :rolleyes:

Terry Malloy

I'd say David Moyes thanks his lucky stars he's trying to turn around the fortunes of Man U and not the Irish Labour Party