• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New legislation on Taxis being introduced today

Analyzer

I presume that this will not be necessary in places where there is a massive oversupply of trains relative to local demand....places like his constituency base in Nenagh.....

Anyway the legislation is to be welcomed. Long overdue.

elliebee

I believe this Bill should go further. Garda clearance should be obligatory for every taxi driver. Why should there be a different criteria for immigrant taxi drivers who only have to provide clearance from when they entered the country.

Surely there is a strong possibility that some at least have a serious criminal record so the public is still at risk.

greengoose2

I believe this Bill should go further. Garda clearance should be obligatory for every taxi driver. Why should there be a different criteria for immigrant taxi drivers who only have to provide clearance from when they entered the country.

Surely there is a strong possibility that some at least have a serious criminal record so the public is still at risk.
Just make sure you don't enter a taxi driven by Mugabe!

D

Dylan2010

I feel more sorry for the drivers, some of the violence against drivers is horrific, can they not be made upgrade their vehicles with cameras, alarms and screens etc.

elliebee

On a slightly different note but relevant in this case - guns and knives are banned. Now for the nitpickers; guns have to licensed and knives are illegal on the street. Samurai swords are banned.

Now has anyone been shot or stabbed recently?
Do you believe people concerned for their own safety are nitpickers?

Papillon

I feel more sorry for the drivers, some of the violence against drivers is horrific, can they not be made upgrade their vehicles with cameras, alarms and screens etc.
Or have a standardised taxi design incorporating driver safety features and better passenger comfort like the black cabs in London or the crown victoria yellow cab in the States.

edifice.

If the restrictions are retrosdpective will the ban apply to those released under the GFA?

Franzoni

Or have a standardised taxi design incorporating driver safety features and better passenger comfort like the black cabs in London or the crown victoria yellow cab in the States.
Kelly said no to this as it wasn't realistic in the current economic climate

Franzoni

Cost issues already are horrendous...

As for camera's....a few lads have them installed but i think there is an issue with some of the regulations coming out of the quangos about installation ....

Papillon

Kelly said no to this as it wasn't realistic in the current economic climate
Ridiculous he easily could have given a order that all new taxi's from a specific date adhere to some standard design, isn't the max life of a current taxi 10 years so it would only take that amount of time before the entire fleet to be replaced.

D

Dylan2010

I dont think a bespoke vehicle is the way to go as they will be more expensive to buy and maintain. But driver and passenger safety is important, so if they wanted to settle on mercs and like vehicles that would be fine. The quality of vehicles is lower than countries like Germany and German taxi drivers probably dont have as many scumbags to deal with. I reckon any taxi drivers working nights should be allowed carry tazers and tear gas

DSW1916

If the restrictions are retrosdpective will the ban apply to those released under the GFA?
GFA states the following: The Governments continue to recognise the importance of measures to facilitate the reintegration of prisoners into the community by providing support both prior to and after release, including assistance directed towards availing of employment opportunities, re-training and/or reskilling, and further education.

I would hope those who have found work in the industry, become productive members of society, and who have signed up to the peace process will not be drummed out of their jobs.

MichaelR

I have a wife and 2 kids. With a bespoke vehicle not allowing the use of the front passenger seat we would not be able to take a taxi as a family at all?

Ramon Mercadar

I dont think a bespoke vehicle is the way to go as they will be more expensive to buy and maintain. But driver and passenger safety is important, so if they wanted to settle on mercs and like vehicles that would be fine. The quality of vehicles is lower than countries like Germany and German taxi drivers probably dont have as many scumbags to deal with. I reckon any taxi drivers working nights should be allowed carry tazers and tear gas
Might not be a good idea to use tear gas in a taxi unless the driver can rapidly don a gasmask.

D

Dylan2010

Might not be a good idea to use tear gas in a taxi unless the driver can rapidly don a gasmask.
if someone has a knife in your rib cage you are kind of out of options. More seriously though they dont appear to have basic panic alarms or warning lights on their cars. there should an obvious way of letting the police or other road users know that the car is in trouble.

fuque

That will ensure that I won't be driven home by a murderer. I feel so much safer now.
Yep, the "irish" murderer's will be removed. Your worries arent over.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies