• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New nuclear power plant 240km from Irish coast

fungus

I'm posting because I can't find anything about it on Politics.ie. If I've missed something please forgive me.

This new nuclear plant, which is closer to Dublin than it is to Leeds, has been given the go ahead without any consultation with the Irish government. I don't think that's right and I can't believe there's not much more talk about it on in our media. As far as I'm concerned our government should be putting huge pressure on the UK government to stop this happening. Why not build it on the south east coast beside France, Belgium and the Netherlands? Because those countries wouldn't let it happen.

An Taisce opposes plans for UK nuclear power plant - RTÉ News

D

Dylan2010

at least its not an abortion clinic :D , but seriously good for irelands energy security eh , if the brits have surplus power we have an additional backup to "keep the lights on"

dancl2000

I dont get why this should be a problem for us or why we should expect to be consulted.

The environmental imapct of nuclear is around disposal of waste and disasters. Waste wise ireland is not affected.

Disaster wise; firstly highly unlikely there would be a disaster. Secondly, any disaster would have much greater impact on the local uk population than on anyone in ireland. So the UK will already do everything they can to minimise risk.

the only uk disaster was windscale in 1957 which had only minor impact on ireland. The prevailing winds go in the other direction. The fallout zone of fukishima was 30km, not 240km.

dancl2000

I'm posting because I can't find anything about it on Politics.ie. If I've missed something please forgive me.

This new nuclear plant, which is closer to Dublin than it is to Leeds, has been given the go ahead without any consultation with the Irish government. I don't think that's right and I can't believe there's not much more talk about it on in our media. As far as I'm concerned our government should be putting huge pressure on the UK government to stop this happening. Why not build it on the south east coast beside France, Belgium and the Netherlands? Because those countries wouldn't let it happen.

and for info belgium has nuclear stations at around 250km from uk coast. france has 4 nucleur stations on it's north coast inclduing one at 100km to uk. the uk has already 2 nucleur stations on it's south east coast.

darkhorse

The Dungeness reactor in Kent is about 30km from the coast of France, but I dont recall the French objecting

Samell

I don't see any complaints about Wilfa B on Anglesey. 2 magnox reactors (reactor 2 closed last April) have been producing electricity for over 40 years and are only closing as the reprocessing plant at Sellafield is closing. Corrosion was found in the pipes before the plant started yet there have been no problems running it. So put a concrete sarcophagus over your hysteria about nuclear power and accept that since the atom was split there will always be nuclear power.

There is only a 30km exclusion zone round Chernobyl, and I think that both Leeds and Dublin would be outside that.

Thomaso12

Theres no need to worry about the nuclear plant since the most nuclear plant disasters happened due to natural disasters. Only things what could be a problem is mainly imcomptence.

Samell

Chernobyl.
Put a concrete sarcophagus on your hysteria.

"Ireland shouldn't have nuclear power because of what happened at Chernobyl and Fukushima." you cry. An accident, poor communication and training and s paranoid state was behind one, and when was the last time Ireland was hit by an earthquake and Tsunami?

jpc

On what grounds would the French object?!
Bar its not one of theirs
None!
An Taisce are trying to stay relevant in a post property bubble landscape.

dancl2000

Here is a report commissioned by the minister of the environment on the risks to ireland from a disaster at sellafield
"Risks to Ireland from Incidents at the Sellafield Site"
http://www.environ.ie/en/Environment/EnvironmentalRadiation/PublicationsDocuments/FileDownLoad,31607,en.pdf

Conclusion is there arent any

Nemesiscorporation

The article has no details of which generation of nuclear reactor it is. Therefore there is no indication if it a Chernobyl type reactor or a 4th generation reactor, or what.

Which type of nuclear reactor is it?

fungus

The article has no details of which generation of nuclear reactor it is. Therefore there is no indication if it a Chernobyl type reactor or a 4th generation reactor, or what.

Which type of nuclear reactor is it?
I don't know what kind of reactor it is I just think the further away from Ireland it is the better. No matter what anyone thinks do we not have a right to object to any type of nuclear plant being situated so close to Ireland?

Libero

Put a concrete sarcophagus on your hysteria.

"Ireland shouldn't have nuclear power because of what happened at Chernobyl and Fukushima." you cry. An accident, poor communication and training and s paranoid state was behind one, and when was the last time Ireland was hit by an earthquake and Tsunami?
When was the last time Ireland properly regulated a systemically risky private enterprise? Civil aviation?

Nemesiscorporation

I don't know what kind of reactor it is I just think the further away from Ireland it is the better. No matter what anyone thinks do we not have a right to object to any type of nuclear plant being situated so close to Ireland?
If it was an old Chernobyl type reactor it would be a major concern.

If it is a newer peddle type reactor, then there is no need for concern as they can not melt down, as the Chinese proved when locked the media in a control room and they cut of the coolant to the reactor and it just stopped itself, due to its design.

As I asked, what type of reactor is it.

I wish to know which type so that i can know if it is a ticking bomb or nothing whatsoever to worry about.

Facts are useful when assessing a situation.

Nemesiscorporation

gloria

This doesn't bother me, I understand that nuclear technology has become much safer since Chernobyl... I just hope that we could get some benefit from it as it is so close to our shore... There are massive wind farms being erected here to supply the UK energy needs so it would be good if there was a mutually beneficial agreement to avail of this nuclear station in return.

louis bernard

Why would the British government have to consult with Ireland if they want to build a nuclear power plant? As a matter of fact the British could build a nuclear power plant just over the border in Northern Ireland (part of the UK) and there is absolutely nothing the Irish government could do about it.