New Plastic Card to replace existing Driving Licence?

MsAnneThrope

The Road Safety Authority published this Contract Award over the weekend.

Description of the contract:

Review of Irish Driver Licencing System in preparation for introduction of Plastic Card Licence
Name and Address of successful supplier, contractor or service provider:

Accenture
1 Grand Canal Place, Dublin2
Personally I'd welcome a nice, plastic card to replace my existing, tatty paper one. But after the PPARS & E-Voting debacles can we get this one right and at reasonable cost?

Also, could and should this card have other uses beyond just holding Driving License information? It's not clear from the tender if the intent is to have a magnetic strip and/or a smart chip on it but I'm guessing in this day and age it will.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeputyEdo

Be good to have a credit card type licence. I think most EU countries already do.
And yes, I'd imagine it'll have a magnetic strip on the back so they can put your shoe size, musical preferences and whatever the fook else they wish onto it.

firefly123

Que the silver foil hat wearers ranting about orwellian practices in 3...2...1...

Dohville

They have had this in NI for many years. The Paper licence will still exist though, like your cert of insurance to be produced if required within 7/14/21 days etc, but the Plastic card will act as driver ID and must be carried at all times while driving.

willoughby

They have had this in NI for many years. The Paper licence will still exist though, like your cert of insurance to be produced if required within 7/14/21 days etc, but the Plastic card will act as driver ID and must be carried at all times while driving.
Aye, the current one is not exactly convenient especially if your changing vehicles. A wallet/perse size one would help.

supermonkey

Why are Enron's accountants involved!! This isn't an emerging technology!

Baron von Biffo

Personally I'd welcome a nice, plastic card to replace my existing, tatty paper one. But after the PPARS & E-Voting debacles can we get this one right and at reasonable cost?
Yes please to the end of the manky paper licences but your concerns are well placed, the PS has a truly abysmal record when it comes to specifying and managing the delivery of IT projects.

Also, could and should this card have other uses beyond just holding Driving License information? It's not clear from the tender if the intent is to have a magnetic strip and/or a smart chip on it but I'm guessing in this day and age it will.
A user accessible area on a strip or chip where medical information or next of kin numbers could be stored would be useful in case of emergency.

st3ph3n

I'm all for it. I have an American licence which is a proper credit card sized plastic one. It has a barcode-like encoding on the back. When you go to buy booze at a shop they can just scan the code and your name and date of birth show up on the till. So much better than carrying around the ridiculous fake-looking fold-out, laminated on one side only paper mess that we currently have!

Baron von Biffo

I'm all for it. I have an American licence which is a proper credit card sized plastic one. It has a barcode-like encoding on the back. When you go to buy booze at a shop they can just scan the code and your name and date of birth show up on the till. So much better than carrying around the ridiculous fake-looking fold-out, laminated on one side only paper mess that we currently have!
Now that raises big issues not least of them being widespread access to data that ought to be private.

rubensni

Wil most likely be the same type as the UK driving licence.
Yes, it's an European standard (Directive 2006/126/EEC) which has to be implemented across the EU by 2013.

Has to be plastic, can have microchip or other means of storing info electronically.

hiker

Wil most likely be the same type as the UK driving licence.

I got one of these only its in spanish. I converted my Irish one to this plastic credit-card size one.
It even has my resident (NIE) number on.
Nifty little thing, I must say.

firefly123

I welcome the plastic card :D
Tin foil hats are common...
I mean High class silver foil hat wearers.
Everyone knows that silver foil is the only thing that prevents the Government from controlling you.

supermonkey

Why do we need Enron's Accountants to run this project?

Ulster-Lad

I welcome the new licence.

Migrant Dub

Long awaited, and welcomed!

On a side note, if they can do this they should do this (picture and other info) with the social welfare cards too!

Last edited:

Chrisco

Yes, it's an European standard (Directive 2006/126/EEC) which has to be implemented across the EU by 2013.

Has to be plastic, can have microchip or other means of storing info electronically.
I hope it has a chip; I have a N.I. licence and it is really annoying if you need to rent a car and don't happen to have the paper counterpart with you.

Why do we need Enron's Accountants to run this project?
Accenture is not Arthur Andersen.

SilverSpurs

I will be watching this very very closely. In principle i have no problem as long as the information stored on the card is exclusively to do with my entitlement to drive motor vehicles and some very limited medical information giving instructions if i am injured or killed in a crash.
This could very easily become a national identity card by the back door much like the USA and thats my worry.
On a cosmetic note is there a need for that disgusting pink? Surely green or tara blue would be appropriate for an Irish document. Also why the EU logo? The swiss can drive around europe without it on their licence.

Popular Threads

Most Replies