New Poll In Scotland Shows Surge In Support Of Independence Post Brexit Vote

BACKTOBASICS

Presumably they could be fast-tracked if they argue they are inheriting the UK's membership?
But then (if they achieve EU membership) they would have a Customs border creating difficulties trading with England, Wales and NI, but free movement between themselves and Ireland - looks like interesting times ahead for the 'United' Kingdom.

Dearghoul

We want a friendly English speaking neighbour as an ally and friend in europe. An independent Scotland provides that.
Brian Hayes FG MEP said as much on Friday morning,
Did he say whether they'd be ready to join the Euro this time? That would be an important consideration.

Breanainn

Can one do that... Inherit another's membership?

The treaties refer to the United Kingdom. An independent Scotland would be none of those. Renegotiation of the Treaties has been ruled out as far as I can tell. Scotland would have to apply for membership on its own merit methinks.
Russia got the USSR's Security Council seat, similarly East Germany was absorbed into the EC through German unification without a cooling-off period

FunkyBoogaloo

Thanks. Scotlands case would be that the Union of which they were a member was leaving the EU. This is unique and bears no relation to the countries you cite.
Thanks. I'm aware of that. This is why I said similar argument - relating specifically to going against the democratic will of peoples. In Scotlands case it would be leaving the EU as part of the UK. In the countries I cite it would be....

Well I don't want to repeat myself. Read it again.

viper999

Did he say whether they'd be ready to join the Euro this time? That would be an important consideration.
They'd have to join the euro.... that isn't up for debate, they cant have all the trappings of the EU and keep Sterling.Its one or the other.

FunkyBoogaloo

Russia got the USSR's Security Council seat, similarly East Germany was absorbed into the EC through German unification without a cooling-off period
UN is not the same as the EU. German re-unification happened before Maastricht. I'm unsure but the changes (to Germany's status) may have been dealt with then.

firefly123

Can one do that... Inherit another's membership?

The treaties refer to the United Kingdom. An independent Scotland would be none of those. Renegotiation of the Treaties has been ruled out as far as I can tell. Scotland would have to apply for membership on its own merit methinks.
That was before the English and Welsh did the unthinkable. I get the feeling the wheels will be a lot greasier this time around.

sport02

Wouldn't they have to commit to the euro like Poland and Czech Republic for example yet they've still to join.

gleeful

They'd have to join the euro.... that isn't up for debate, they cant have all the trappings of the EU and keep Sterling.Its one or the other.
With sterling in crisis they may be happy to switch to the Euro.

Ireniall

It is inevitable now. Scottish people knew they made a mistake within hours of voting the last time as all the promises were withdrawn. This time around they won't make the same mistake. The EU might even decide that they are the legitimate heirs to the UK and accept their membership without any of the process. After all every Scottish citizen is currently an EU citizen. How can the EU deny them?
It would actually be interesting to have a poll in England to see if the English are regretting their decision to any extent. I suspect that some are anyway and no doubt the Scots are thinking that they have the opportunity to rectify the situation even if the English haven't, The map of the voting patterns doing the rounds says it all really. Every region in Scotland voting to remain.

GDPR

Unlikely, the euro is a basket case. Plus it would be silly to join having a land border with England to adopt the euro.
They would have to adopt the Euro if they meet the criteria.

The EU is dead set on that.

Ireniall

The SNP must seize the opportunity now in the next 12 months , if Nicola Sturgeon lets this chance go her tenure will go down as a complete failure no matter what else she achieves , they will never have a better chance for independence than they do now.

I suspect they will find an EU very much open to an independent Scotland now with a lot of Euro big wigs wanting to make the UK's(England) decision as costly as possible for them.
Yes -especially when it doesn't have a destabilising economic effect which some other measures might. However Spain and Belgium might be nervous.

Ireniall

All new members have to join the euro, makes the decision a bit harder
They could hardly keep Sterling though-beyond a suitably extended transition period perhaps. The Euro might look better than a Scottish Punt. The thing about the independence referendum is that it carried with it the threat of the unknown that change brings whereas now the change is happening if you stay so the new currency might be less frightening as a result. It certainly throws everything open now.

viper999

So they should keep sterling, the currency of the disintegrating United Kingdom?

You're joking of course.
Its still worth 20% more than the euro, even 1 day trading after brexit. Says it all about the euro really.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Top Bottom