New Poll Shows Majority in Favour of Scottish Independence

McTell

It is a matter of time before the UK is consigned to history. Might not happen next year but those with loyalty to Britain are dieing off in Scotland. It is just a matter of time. Especially given the majority of Scots voted Yes in 2014 but English living in Scotland swung the vote. What are your thoughts Irishmen/women?

Also looking forward to orkney and shetland voting for their independence from scotland.

A "free" scotland will push hard to take away our FDI investors.

They will be in the eu joining queue behind albania.

rainmaker

Administrator
Also looking forward to orkney and shetland voting for their independence from scotland.
The SNP have always steadfastly refused to even allow such a vote.

McSlaggart

There are entry criteria and periods to the Euro. It is not simply case of 'tomorrow we start using the Euro folks' - it's a long term process.

The consequences of a new currency seem be the least impossible option to sell, but opting for it is a risky gamble in a referendum - lose a second one & your history.

I agree but they need to show a plan to take Scotland into the Euro.

Sync

Well that's a little down the road. They can have the argument over if they can use the Scots currency or Euro during accession talks. That's an easier discussion that the first one.

What currency will Scotland use post independence that simultaneously enables it to demonstrate to the EU the required financial management of it's economy and which won't see it being immediately attacked by the UK seeing massive swaths of land being bought up on the cheap?

JohnScotland

The SNP have been droning on about independence for years I wish they would win and find out what independence costs because as Ireland discovered if they think the EU will bail them out they couldn't be more wrong.
A party droning on about their main policy and the reason they exist. It is hardly surprising. If they didn't they would have never got to where they are today.

We contribute more to the UK than we get back so there will be no need for any bail outs. You should Google how much debt the UK is currently in.

JohnScotland

We have been here before, not least towards the end of the 2014 Indyref campaign. I would not get too excited about this, unless a hard Brexit actually takes place, in which case you're into a completely different ballgame.
The base for Yes is much higher than 2014 and the smear and scare tactics from the no campaign will have much less traction a second time around.

Pyewacket

Well that's a little down the road. They can have the argument over if they can use the Scots currency or Euro during accession talks. That's an easier discussion that the first one.

What currency will Scotland use post independence that simultaneously enables it to demonstrate to the EU the required financial management of it's economy and which won't see it being immediately attacked by the UK seeing massive swaths of land being bought up on the cheap?
What currency will the UK use if it crashes out with No Deal?

Its fascinating how you think that Brexit is truly dreadful, but the Scots should just get on with it.

Sync

The UK will use sterling? That's a weird non sequitur.

I think it's the Scotland's decision to make. They shouldn't kid themselves that the interim period between leaving the UK and joining the EU will be anything other than VERY hard work.

It wasn't shenanigans that lost them the vote last time. They didn't have answers on the EU, or the currency or the economy. They still don't really.

rainmaker

Administrator
The base for Yes is much higher than 2014 and the smear and scare tactics from the no campaign will have much less traction a second time around.
There were no smear or scare tactics.

Salmond said the UK had no choice but to enter a formal currency union, the UK said never. That was simply being straight with the Scottish people.

Because guess what, there really was going to be no formal currency union.

As for a much higher starting base I presume you're basing that on this one easily manipulated online poll.

Pyewacket

The UK will use sterling? That's a weird non sequitur.

I think it's the Scotland's decision to make. They shouldn't kid themselves that the interim period between leaving the UK and joining the EU will be anything other than VERY hard work.

It wasn't shenanigans that lost them the vote last time. They didn't have answers on the EU, or the currency or the economy. They still don't really.
What on earth?

Are you convinced that Scotland ought to abide by whatever the WM parliament decides, because if they don't. it will be very hard?

Just how easy do you think a No Deal Brexit will be?

rainmaker

Administrator
We contribute more to the UK than we get back so there will be no need for any bail outs. You should Google how much debt the UK is currently in.
Well that is simply not true. I wonder what tax rates an independent Scotland will need to maintain or increase public and social spending.

I should also point out that Scotland has a share of that debt whether she leaves or not.

These are the questions that yet again will need to be addressed in detail by nats like yourself, and this wishy washy Braveheart rhetoric wont cut it.

Pyewacket

There were no smear or scare tactics.

Salmond said the UK had no choice but to enter a formal currency union, the UK said never. That was simply being straight with the Scottish people.

Because guess what, there really was going to be no formal currency union.

As for a much higher starting base I presume you're basing that on this one easily manipulated online poll.
Give it it up. The UK is foundering, mainly thanks to English voters.

I am not at all surprised.

rainmaker

Administrator
Give it it up. The UK is foundering, mainly thanks to English voters.
Again, this is all well and good.

But as the last two referendums showed, rhetoric & sentiment wont cut it when people are pondering such huge and irreversible risks.

They want clear cut details and dead certain outcomes - 'stick it to the f***g English' wont cut it in a campaign.

It will be based on economics and not sentiment.

Sync

What on earth?

Are you convinced that Scotland ought to abide by whatever the WM parliament decides, because if they don't. it will be very hard?

Just how easy do you think a No Deal Brexit will be?
Something being difficult isn't necessarily a reason not to do it. Independence can be more desirable than short term economic stability.

From a voting view though: The SNP were the Independence movement back in 2014. And three key planks of their platform for independent were errent nonsense. That matters to people when they listen to them this time around.

Pyewacket

Again, this is all well and good.

But as the last two referendums showed, rhetoric & sentiment wont cut it when people are pondering such huge and irreversible risks.

They want clear cut details and dead certain outcomes - 'stick it to the f***g English' wont cut it in a campaign.

It will be based on economics and not sentiment.
Whar clear cut deals and lines are those jokes in WM delivering?

What economic joy and prosperity after the UK exits?

FFS, get real.

Pyewacket

Something being difficult isn't necessarily a reason not to do it. Independence can be more desirable than short term economic stability.

From a voting view though: The SNP were the Independence movement back in 2014. And three key planks of their platform for independent were errent nonsense. That matters to people when they listen to them this time around.
Yeah you hate the SNP.

Of all parties to hate, you decided it was the SNP.

Well dear. I have no dog in this fight, I do not care what anyone in GB does. But this is a Tory mess, aided and abetted by Labour.

English parties, English voters, credit where credit is due.

Would you want to go down with them? Maybe you would.

rainmaker

Administrator
Whar clear cut deals and lines are those jokes in WM delivering?

What economic joy and prosperity after the UK exits?

FFS, get real.
Those same arguments were made in in 2014 and 79 and they weren't enough.

Pyewacket

Those same arguments were made in in 2014 and 79 and they weren't enough.
What is you point?

This is not 2014.

This is the Uk with PM Johnson threatening to leave the EU with No Deal, against Scotland's wishes.

You think that is just a piece of fluff and the Scots will fall dutifully into line?

New Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom