New Poll Shows Majority in Favour of Scottish Independence

rainmaker

Administrator
This is not 2014.
And yet the arguments being put forward on here are almost identical. The only thing that has changed is brexit & Scotland has seen a Tory revival since Brexit.

Alex Salmond, the party founder & their party leader in Westminster all lost their seats to Tories - who had been extinct in Scotland for over a decade.

So there are alarm bells urging caution there.
You think that is just a piece of fluff and the Scots will fall dutifully into line?
It makes no personal difference to me what Scotland does, it never has. It will affect my life not one jot.

Pyewacket

And yet the arguments being put forward on here are almost identical. The only thing that has changed is brexit & Scotland has seen a Tory revival since Brexit.

Alex Salmond, the party founder & their party leader in Westminster all lost their seats to Tories - who had been extinct in Scotland for over a decade.

So there are alarm bells urging caution there.It makes no personal difference to me what Scotland does, it never has. It will affect my life not one jot.
I am sorry, I am laughing.

The UK under your PM Johnson is proposing to crash out of the EU with no deal, and you expect constituent parts of the UK which want independence and voted against Brexit to suck it up?

Brace yourself. You will have enougn on your hands with the Engllsh without worrying about the Scots if Boris gets his way. :)

PBP voter

There would have to be a hard border with England.

Partition of Ireland is bad but it wouldn't be a problem on the island beside us.

You couldn't make it up.

rainmaker

Administrator
I am sorry, I am laughing.

The UK under your PM Johnson is proposing to crash out of the EU with no deal, and you expect constituent parts of the UK which want independence and voted against Brexit to suck it up?

Brace yourself. You will have enougn on your hands with the Engllsh without worrying about the Scots if Boris gets his way. :)
I really don't expect anyone to do anything. Pointing out the hurdles, obstacles pitfalls and flaws is not taking sides.

I spent near 18 months on the 2014 referendum thread on here, and listened to great swathes of emotive Celtic solidarity, the Scots brethren were about to join their Celtic cousins and going to stick it to the English etc.

The venom against the Scots the day after was quite shocking and quite something to behold even on here. Still meant nothing to me.

Pyewacket

I really don't expect anyone to do anything. Pointing out the hurdles, obstacles pitfalls and flaws is not taking sides.

I spent near 18 months on the 2014 referendum thread on here, and listened to great swathes of emotive Celtic solidarity, the Scots brethren were about to join their Celtic cousins and going to stick it to the English etc.

The venom against the Scots the day after was quite shocking and quite something to behold even on here. Still meant nothing to me.
I have no side in this either, dear. As I have stated before, I could not care less what the English, Scots or Welsh do as long as it does not impact Ireland negatively.

But face up to it, you are losing this big time. The UK is all over. Good, it was always a makey uppey nonsense to start with,

rainmaker

Administrator
I have no side in this either, dear. As I have stated before, I could not care less what the English, Scots or Welsh do as long as it does not impact Ireland negatively
Well, you seem to care quite a lot.
But face up to it, you are losing this big time. The UK is all over. Good, it was always a makey uppey nonsense to start with,
I don't need to face up to anything. I really cannot make it any clearer - I could careless what Scotland does.

In 2014 they voted to stay, that decision has had no consequence in my life or that of a single person I know. If they had voted leave it would have had the same non impact.

My only objection throughout that campaign was to the lie the SNP were telling the Scottish people that there would be a formal currency union.

Pyewacket

Well, you seem to care quite a lot.I don't need to face up to anything. I really cannot make it any clearer - I could careless what Scotland does.

In 2014 they voted to stay, that decision has had no consequence in my life or that of a single person I know. If they had voted leave it would have had the same non impact.

My only objection throughout that campaign was to the lie the SNP were telling the Scottish people that there would be a formal currency union.
I really don't rainey, I couldn't give a toss about Scots independence anymore than I believe in that English Nationalist rubbish about reclaiming English sovereignity by voting themselves out of Europe.

The Scots have a case though .Why be tied to the English electorate, which is frankly bonkers?

Flop out of the EU, driven by English wankers, with a joke of a WM parliament? Yeah, that will work.

Bye bye UK, Let;s face it, it was always a case of the English ruled the roost. Now let them rule their own roost.

I look forward to when the English turn on each other. That will be a sight to behold.

NYCKY

There are entry criteria and periods to the Euro. It is not simply case of 'tomorrow we start using the Euro folks' - it's a long term process.

The consequences of a new currency seem be the least impossible option to sell, but opting for it is a risky gamble in a referendum - lose a second one & your history.

Exactly and that's why several EU members haven't joined yet despite being in the EU for over 10 years.

NYCKY

It is a matter of time before the UK is consigned to history. Might not happen next year but those with loyalty to Britain are dieing off in Scotland. It is just a matter of time. Especially given the majority of Scots voted Yes in 2014 but English living in Scotland swung the vote. What are your thoughts Irishmen/women?
Assuming that is true and I don't know that it is, do you really think the votes of English residents in Scotland count less than native born Scottish voters?

Pyewacket

Assuming that is true and I don't know that it is, do you really think the votes of English residents in Scotland count less than native born Scottish voters?
Welp there is a lot more English voters than Scottish ones, so yep, when it came to Brexit, the English vote prevailed.

Sure it will be grand, that's democracy and the will of the people.

NYCKY

The UK will use sterling? That's a weird non sequitur.

I think it's the Scotland's decision to make. They shouldn't kid themselves that the interim period between leaving the UK and joining the EU will be anything other than VERY hard work.

It wasn't shenanigans that lost them the vote last time. They didn't have answers on the EU, or the currency or the economy. They still don't really.

Agree they still don't have proper answers on the economy/currency issues but there was more than that. They wanted to keep the pound ( a wholly different issue now though), keep the Queen as head of state, stay in the EU, NATO, the UN etc, Given the devolved administration, where they actually have a functioning assembly, they weren't really offering anything different or new.

All that said, obviously with Brexit some of this has changed but why not wait until the dust settles on a UK outside the EU first.

Scotland would too of course lose the nukes (which they seem to want) but also lose the largesse that comes with the MOD spending in Scotland.

NYCKY

Welp there is a lot more English voters than Scottish ones, so yep, when it came to Brexit, the English vote prevailed.

Sure it will be grand, that's democracy and the will of the people.

I was referring to the Independence referendum in Scotland. Jesus, would it be too much work to read a post before you reply to it?

Pyewacket

Agree they still don't have proper answers on the economy/currency issues but there was more than that. They wanted to keep the pound ( a wholly different issue now though), keep the Queen as head of state, stay in the EU, NATO, the UN etc, Given the devolved administration, where they actually have a functioning assembly, they weren't really offering anything different or new.

All that said, obviously with Brexit some of this has changed but why not wait until the dust settles on a UK outside the EU first.

Scotland would too of course lose the nukes (which they seem to want) but also lose the largesse that comes with the MOD spending in Scotland.
And what answers does the UK have to exiting the EU?

Let us hear them, I would like to know what they are.

You seem to think they have some. Please tell the PM. :)

Pyewacket

I was referring to the Independence referendum in Scotland. Jesus, would it be too much work to read a post before you reply to it?
Ooh, don't get catty.

I have read your boiler plate.

Now answer my posts.

NYCKY

And what answers does the UK have to exiting the EU?

Let us hear them, I would like to know what they are.

You seem to think they have some. Please tell the PM. :)

Oh dear, sounds like you stumbled on to the wrong thread.

Pyewacket

Oh dear, sounds like you stumbled on to the wrong thread.
Oh dear, sounds like you are in a hissy fit, you poor old bore.

Very interested in Scots Independence aren't you, Nicky? :)

Night now.

NYCKY

There would have to be a hard border with England.

Partition of Ireland is bad but it wouldn't be a problem on the island beside us.

You couldn't make it up.
I doubt that any PM in the near future will grant another referendum. Cameron gave the Scots their referendum and breathed a huge sigh of relief when it failed.

rainmaker

Administrator
I really don't rainey, I couldn't give a toss about Scots independence anymore than I believe in that English Nationalist rubbish about reclaiming English sovereignity by voting themselves out of Europe.

The Scots have a case though .Why be tied to the English electorate, which is frankly bonkers?

Flop out of the EU, driven by English wankers, with a joke of a WM parliament? Yeah, that will work.

Bye bye UK, Let;s face it, it was always a case of the English ruled the roost. Now let them rule their own roost.

I look forward to when the English turn on each other. That will be a sight to behold.
You are clearly heavily invested as you are the most prolific & emotional poster on a Scottish independence thread.

Though admittedly your interest in Scottish independence seems motivated more from a hatred of the English than anything else.

This was what motivated many posters in the 2014 thread - the day after the referendum their hatred for the Scottish was far greater than that of the English.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom