New Poll Shows Majority in Favour of Scottish Independence

McSlaggart

Many unionists have woken up to the benefits of devolution during the coronavirus pandemic and could hand the SNP its biggest ever mandate for independence, one of Britain’s leading polling experts has said.

John Curtice, professor of politics at the University of Strathclyde, said a poll in The Sunday Times showing a sustained 54 per cent support for independence “raises serious questions for unionists”.

Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister, has been widely praised for her handling of the crisis across the political spectrum, including among Scots who voted to remain part of the UK in the 2014 independence referendum and backed Brexit two years later.

Professor Curtice said coronavirus has demonstrated the power the Scottish government already has to chart a different course from

Seven Eleven

Scottish Greens are pro-independance.

A survey of 16 to 34 year olds showed 73% in favour of Yes, the goose is cooked.

Dame_Enda

Around 8% of the population are from other parts of the UK. Last time around I think around 78% of them voted no. The SNP should appeal to EU Remainers in this group by stressing Scotland could apply to join the EU.

Overall Scotland has a similar migrant percentage of the population as Ireland. I am unsure what percentage of them have voting rights, but I think they overwhelmingly voted no last time.

ringobrodgar

I'm Scots this is the second poll in succession to show 54%. In 2014 native Scots voted 52.7% for YES everyone else voted no. Looks like the tables have turned
also electoral law was changed recently so that all legally resident in Scotland can vote.

Ireniall

Many unionists have woken up to the benefits of devolution during the coronavirus pandemic and could hand the SNP its biggest ever mandate for independence, one of Britain’s leading polling experts has said.

John Curtice, professor of politics at the University of Strathclyde, said a poll in The Sunday Times showing a sustained 54 per cent support for independence “raises serious questions for unionists”.

Nicola Sturgeon, the first minister, has been widely praised for her handling of the crisis across the political spectrum, including among Scots who voted to remain part of the UK in the 2014 independence referendum and backed Brexit two years later.

Professor Curtice said coronavirus has demonstrated the power the Scottish government already has to chart a different course from

Scottish independence brexiteers are a waste of space and a potential source of trouble. Best for all concerned if they moved south and brought their anglo-centric fetish with them. Maybe they'll vote for independence or maybe they won't if it means joining Europe-the only way that an independent Scotland can survive. Unless they mean that an 'independent' Scotland would be rule-takers from London. pfft.

ringobrodgar

Scottish independence brexiteers are a waste of space and a potential source of trouble. Best for all concerned if they moved south and brought their anglo-centric fetish with them. Maybe they'll vote for independence or maybe they won't if it means joining Europe-the only way that an independent Scotland can survive. Unless they mean that an 'independent' Scotland would be rule-takers from London. pfft.

ringobrodgar

Potential source of trouble agreed if they join loyalist organisations and morph into a terrorist threat to our two nations then we would have to think deeply on how we might deal with that.

Dame_Enda

Johnson reportedly planning a clampdown on the devolved administrations.

Plan is that after Brexit is finished, they will be forced into a UK-wide "internal market". This could sound the death knell of Scotland's free university fees, and force them to accept chlorinated chicken if England does.

ringobrodgar

Around 8% of the population are from other parts of the UK. Last time around I think around 78% of them voted no. The SNP should appeal to EU Remainers in this group by stressing Scotland could apply to join the EU.

Overall Scotland has a similar migrant percentage of the population as Ireland. I am unsure what percentage of them have voting rights, but I think they overwhelmingly voted no last time.
The Franchise was recently changed by the Scot gov so that anyone with a legal right to live in Scotland can vote so all those 200,000 EU nationals will be voting in a new referendum

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The most likely result Johnson is going to achieve will be the death of the union altogether. Perhaps ultimately that is what he is after. A union with only England in it.

Easier to manage :)

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
The mansion house fellow in the knickerbockers would have to announce 'Elizabeth the Second, by the Grace of Boris of the United Kingdom of Surrey and Berkshire, Her other Realms and Territories Queen, Head of the Suffolk Rotary Club, Defender of the Scout-Hall.'

Doesn't have quite the same ring to it. Chuck better hurry up and pull the pillow or he'll lose Wales before he gains England!

ringobrodgar

Should Boris still say no after the next Holyrood election the first minster can then resign if no new FM is elected after 30 days a new election has to be called.
The SNP would have only one manifesto commitment to open negotiations for Scotland to become an independent country. The people of Scotland are sovereign and if they elected an SNP government its negotiating position would be legitimate under both domestic and international law

Lumpy Talbot

Twitter
No
I think it is fairly inevitable that Scotland will achieve independence, something that has been much discussed here I know. I do agree that there would be benefit in Scotland and Ireland holding bilateral talks on matters of common interest and it would least have the benefit of discussion direct between Dublin and Edinburgh which does not have to be routed via Westminster.

It wouldn't be sensible for us to take any other line, to be fair.

Sync

Johnson reportedly planning a clampdown on the devolved administrations.

Plan is that after Brexit is finished, they will be forced into a UK-wide "internal market". This could sound the death knell of Scotland's free university fees, and force them to accept chlorinated chicken if England does.

It feels like Scotland's on an inevitable path to independence right now. You can see how this is going to play out in the media and with the voters as well, it's a tale as old as time for the UK.

• Limited devolved local govt
  • London based taxation and financial governance
  • Local govt points to everything they dislike as being the result of London.
  • NO TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION!
  • Groundswell of people wanting to leave.

The medium term success or failure of that exit is massively up for debate, but so is the medium term future of the UK's economy.

Sync

Jackson Carlaw quits as Scottish Tory leader after 6 months. He demonstrated quite a bit of self awareness by recognising he was rubbish. There's no trigger event. No bad thing in his closet. He just wasn't very good and realised that.

But it's ok, there's a shiny new YOUNG successor lined up. Douglas Ross. He seems like someone the Scottish people, generally a tolerant, left leaning leaning electorate will love.

I'd bet on a desperate effort to convince Ruth Davidson to walk back her decision to walk away from this shambles..

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies

Top Bottom