New Rules - State Pension Entitlements Will Be Absolutely Ravaged for Thousands Of Senior Citizens

General Urko

This deserves it's own special thread!

I was extremely angered by this front page piece in The Indo this morning -

https://www.independent.ie/business/personal-finance/pensions/pensions-reforms-would-leave-some-retired-workers-up-to-60pc-worse-off-36536219.html

The move from pension calculations from the average basis to the total basis will destroy many peoples' entitlements and this decision is being made by those who are on massive pensions paid for by everyone else!

I don't know how it will affect people with spotty work records because if it does it will have a disproportionate impact in the BMW Region, where work has traditionally been much scarcer to come by and wages and working conditions have been shyte!

This is an Apartheidal society based on class and I may have taken some flack for saying that austerity is the closest thing a Government can come to committing an act of genocide against its own people, given that packing people on to cattle trucks isn't really a goer nowadays, I guarantee you that somebody on a state pension of €95 a week, when they had reasonably expected to be on €238 per week, wont live very long! This was one of the examples The DSP graciously provided for us!

It's typical blueshirt and upper level civil servant arrogance - it's complete fooking dynamite politically, if you don't stop it, basically you will be out, at least the political rubbish behind it will be!

And quelle surprise the bought off trade union movement are keeping well stum about this, when anywhere else it would be a matter for mass public demonstrations and genera strikes across all sectors!

Oh and don't forget private sector workers' pensions average around €60 per week and the blueshirt nutters raided private sector workers pension funds to directly benefit mostly sleeveen rubbish employers!

BTW I totally support the reform which rectified the anomaly which a lot of mostly women had to face in terms of their pension rights!

Is it time for a pensions party demanding pension reform along the New Zealand example - public service pensions ended, tax breaks for private pensions ended, both of which only really massively advantage the richest in our society and put all that's asaved into providing a decent state pension for all citizens at a reasonable age!

Last edited:

Dame_Enda

They are moving towards linking SW levels to PRSI contributions. De facto that means that the better off will be paid higher social welfare. Important to spread the word especially to the 50% earning under €30000.

This also punishes mothers who decide to rear their children instead of seeking employment.

D

Deleted member 17573

I'm not sure that the Indo report was accurate - it is not at all clear that the Government has yet defined the TCA that will apply in the long term. In fact, it seems as if they just assumed that it would be the same as the interim system.

Dame_Enda

We should be targetting SW at the poorest not the richest.

Catalpast

Its all very up in the air at the moment

- they cant very well treat the two sexes differently on child care

For instance I was OOW many years ago and obviously I was doing home parenting at the same time

- I cannot be excluded on the basis of my sex!

But when I read over this issue a few months ago I read it that periods of unemployment do undercut the amount you will be entitled to on becoming an OAP

At the moment that is 66 years of age

- but in the years to come that will go up - perhaps as far as 70

Trouble is a lot of people wont be up to working until then doing a full week...

- what happens to them?

BTW if anyone reading this is coming up to retirement age of 66 please note that it takes months to process applications

You are advised to get your application in with SW at least 4 months in advance

- if you know anyone approaching this watershed it might be an idea to let them know...

Dame_Enda

An argument can be made that it violates the Constitutional provision that women will not be forced by economic necessity to work. Its true that this article is very outdated and fashioned but nonetheless it is a legal possibility.

wexfordman

There is an absolute assault in working people over the last 25 years or so,

We have seen

1) individualisation remove the choice of famaies to raise their own kids at home, introduced at a time when the state was running out of people to work.
2) gradual increase in retirement age, to 68, and soon to over seventy.
3) this latest measure which will absolutely cripple people as they eventually reach retirement (of at this stage they are ever allowed to). What's as bad as anything, is that this measure allows people no room to replan, you can't adjust your retirement planning h if your halfway or more towards your retirement . Retirement planning is a long term thing, and the state is now pulling the rug from under people halfway through that plan.

This is truly disgusting, and you can gauranteed that once again, this measure will have an impact on working people in the private sector, and will not impact those who are planning these measures.

Truly disgusting and finally time for people to stand up to this assault on working people, turning us into nothing more than commodities, resources and fuel for the state.

I'm appalled, this is a step too far

bokuden

There is an absolute assault in working people over the last 25 years or so,

We have seen

1) individualisation remove the choice of famaies to raise their own kids at home, introduced at a time when the state was running out of people to work.
2) gradual increase in retirement age, to 68, and soon to over seventy.
3) this latest measure which will absolutely cripple people as they eventually reach retirement (of at this stage they are ever allowed to). What's as bad as anything, is that this measure allows people no room to replan, you can't adjust your retirement planning h if your halfway or more towards your retirement . Retirement planning is a long term thing, and the state is now pulling the rug from under people halfway through that plan.

This is truly disgusting, and you can gauranteed that once again, this measure will have an impact on working people in the private sector, and will not impact those who are planning these measures.

Truly disgusting and finally time for people to stand up to this assault on working people, turning us into nothing more than commodities, resources and fuel for the state.

I'm appalled, this is a step too far
And yet fg apparently are growing in popularity.

SamsonS

An argument can be made that it violates the Constitutional provision that women will not be forced by economic necessity to work. Its true that this article is very outdated and fashioned but nonetheless it is a legal possibility.
I think you should read the infor piece from the Dept posted above.

As I read it, if you had 20 years childminding/caring you would not lose out.

Dame_Enda

So if you have contributed, you will get more of a helping hand.
But people on high incomes contribute more PRSI. So effectively its about cementing inequality by keeping them in the style to which they are accustomed while fleecing the working poor.

SPN

https://www.welfare.ie/en/downloads/Pensions_PolicyOptionsReporton2012RateBands_Q+A.pdf

There you go General. Better to read the doc than the press on this, and it is a very important issue.

And we are talking about the contributory pension, rather than the non con.

If you have your own house, have an income of up to €200 per week, and less that €30,000 in savings (or whatever the means test threshold is these days) you are entitled to the non contributory pension.

The contributory pension is just a top up for those who are over the means test thresholds.

johnnypockets

But people on high incomes contribute more PRSI. So effectively its about cementing inequality but keeping them in the style to which they are accustomed while fleecing the working poor.
If people contribute more, they should receive more in return. There should be a minimum amount for people though...as long as they contribute. Maybe link it to time making contributions rather than amount.

ShoutingIsLeadership

I'm not sure that the Indo report was accurate - it is not at all clear that the Government has yet defined the TCA that will apply in the long term. In fact, it seems as if they just assumed that it would be the same as the interim system.
That God awful Regina Doherty today said that people will get out what they put in.

General Urko

This could be the FG equivalent of Theresa May's social care charges plan which cost the party a majority in 2017. The Nasty Party?

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/may/17/theresa-may-conservative-tory-policy-older-people-pay-for-social-care
I have always said that Hardcore Blueshirts are so far removed from the reality of ordinary peoples' lives and are so lacking in empathy for other people that at that level it is actually a form of mental illness!

Pabilito

Basically Irish Public Sector Pensions and their associated LOTTO level lump sum payouts of hundreds of thousands of euro for a mere Gardai for example are soo exorbitant that the only way to sustain them is to cut the old age pension for ordinary citizens…

Our politicians have conveniently liked their own pay, pensions and lump sums to the Public Service so they prefer to attack the pensions of ordinary citizens instead of reforming the wasteful Public Sector system.

General Urko

That God awful Regina Doherty today said that people will get out what they put in.
So hopefully that will be the end of her political career!
Blueshirt Blyth reduced The Old Age Pension by a Schilling back in the 20s and that generation and their children never forgot or forgave, it's just approaching the ultimate in scumbaggery!

General Urko

Basically Irish Public Sector Pensions and their associated LOTTO level lump sum payouts of hundreds of thousands of euro for a mere Gardai for example are soo exorbitant that the only way to sustain them is to cut the old age pension for ordinary citizens…

Our politicians have conveniently liked their own pay, pensions and lump sums to the Public Service so they prefer to attack the pensions of ordinary citizens instead of reforming the wasteful Public Sector system.
And hence why the lowest of the low in Trade Union Movement are not saying a word!

New Threads

Most Replies