• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New Shannon entity predicted to create 3,000 jobs

Schuhart

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/leaked-report-forecasts-3000-new-jobs-at-shannon-within-five-years-3311460.html

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/finance/2012/1201/1224327340757.html

An independent Shannon Airport combined with the landbank of Shannon Development could “conservatively” generate between 3,000 and 3,500 new direct jobs over the next five years, according to a Government-appointed task force.

This is separate of construction jobs and would revolve around growing air traffic at the airport and establishing an international aviation services centre.

This and other recommendations underpinned the Cabinet’s decision on Monday to approve the separation of Shannon Airport from the Dublin Airport Authority (DAA) by the end of this year.
It's surely the top transport story of the moment. I solemnly swear not to say a word, other than 31st December isn't a day too soon.

Last edited:

Tawdy

It's surely the top transport story of the moment. I solemnly swear not to say a word, other than 31st December isn't a day too soon.

You double dealing, double talking, stooge for fg/lab. What a load of shaggin rubbish! :roll:

mido

stanley

Wonder what Willie o'Dea will say, will be figuring a way to claim credit for this, probably say FF were about to pass legislation to enact or some other BS,

"Twas my feckin idea"

wombat

Wonder what Willie o'Dea will say, will be figuring a way to claim credit for this, probably say FF were about to pass legislation to enact or some other BS,

"Twas my feckin idea"
He's late, Tim Dooley is agin it:lol:

NYCKY

The link doesn't work but as an aside, would it make you happy if Shannon was renamed to Schuhart airport?

DCon

Clanrickard

Shannon Development are trying to sell as much of their landbank as possible including some of its in Kilkee earmarked for a geological and science centre. This is despite that there is an on going feasibility study. SD can't wait they need the money fast for the big payoffs come the merger.

southwestkerry

'Whatabout' the Tarbert Ballylongford landbank supposed LNG plant. Held up time and time again. All a cod I think. Shannon LNG
SWK

Clanrickard

'Whatabout' the Tarbert Ballylongford landbank supposed LNG plant. Held up time and time again. All a cod I think. Shannon LNG
SWK
Rumours are they are making up holes in the pension fund. But of course a semi state body would never do something so cynical.

southwestkerry

Rumours are they are making up holes in the pension fund. But of course a semi state body would never do something so cynical.
Good grief no, na, never, no na never no way. :rolleyes:

Sync

God this seems a lot of bollocks.

Shannon Airport currently employs 230 staff directly, while an additional 1,600 work in neighbouring aviation-related businesses.

The task force predicted that the airport could attract up to 2.5 million passengers annually within three to five years. That compares with the 1.5 million expected in 2012.
Those 1600 people work on fixing engines and leasing aircraft. How can they increase travellers? It just seems....rubbish.

Sync

D

Deleted member 17573

God this seems a lot of bollocks.

Those 1600 people work on fixing engines and leasing aircraft. How can they increase travellers? It just seems....rubbish.
I think that the numbers have to be left to regional endeavour - and if they fail, let that be the end of Shannon as an airport. But if an airport in that region, in the middle of our tourist destinations, cannot make it, then it is a poor outlook for the tourist industry. But Shannon will have to slim down its operation and realise that the business is seasonal. If it wants a model some of the Spanish airports provide one. They will do whatever deal is necessary to get the passengers flowing - because they view the airport as a part of the regional tourism business, not as a stand-alone business in its own right.

Clanrickard

Sink or swim time for Shannon. If the situation does not improve within the next 5 years it should be sold off.

Franker65

The demand for flights was there in 2008 but I wonder if that's disappeared? The six Ryanair 737s based there back in 2009 were usually full and I keep hearing people in Limerick and Galway complaining about the long trip to Dublin for flights and the lack of choices from Shannon. Even if people are lacking financially, some kind of increase in passenger numbers should be possible.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies