Benchmarking
Tax breaks
Special Bertie tak break to buddy
Quangos
Setting up of HSE
NAMA fees
Bank guarantee advice

jaysus they are some shower of THICKS.

Also "spin" that non subordinated debt made up only 3% of entire guarantee. That quantifies at €15,000 million. €15 billion

MsAnneThrope

Was just reading that. It's utterly shameless spin now from Lenihan:

The Minister for Finance has told the Dáil that if a substantial contingency fund arose from talks with the IMF and the European Union it would be a 'very desirable outcome'
He said it was the job of the Government to protect the taxpayer and that is what it is doing.
RTÉ: Contingency fund a desirable outcome: Lenihan

Beam me up Scotty :(

paulp

Protecting the taxpayer from a reasonable standard of leaving, good education system, healthcare system that works, safe streets etc. etc. etc.

flipflop

The tanks are rolling in, we've been taken over and they're still telling us that everything is going to be ok and we can still win the war "poker game"

Fides

Actually reading the report on RTE what he seems to be saying all the, what's the right word for the past few days, ah yes, stonewalling was to protect the taxpayers. I presume if we had heard there really were negotiations going on it would have scared us. Better to keep us in the dark - mushroom theory of management.
Mr Lenihan - I want the truth, and yes I can handle the truth!!!

consultant

God, if what they have been doing is "protecting the tax payer" I would hate to see what they are capable of if their intention was otherwise.

Although, given Lenihan's fondness for the cryptic, perhaps we should be questioning what he is protecting/saving the tax payer for.

controller

Well they are trying the protect the tax payer

The Fianna Fail member / supporter tax payer

1. Seanie
  2. Fingers
  3. Parliamentry Party
  4. Ex PDs
  5. etc

hammer

I wonder who writes all the spin for the Government.

It is absolutely off the wall :(

Surely they should have said we were protecting the public from ruining their weekend :) :)

Even a blindman could see that it is too late.

You cant keep going to the middle income paye workers and "hammering them" - they are barely keeping going.

They cant afford to bail out

Anglo
INBS
AIB
BOI
NAMA
Pension timebomb
OAPs
Medical Card holders
Unemployed
Failed Government
etc...........

What Fianna FAIL are about is every man, woman & child for themselves.

White Rose

remember the weasel words when you're in the polling booth (along with all the other phrases, soft landing, sound fundamentals etc)

hammer

20% of the illiterate will forgive Fianna FAIL.

They should be disbanded forthwith.

THE BUDGET WILL NOT PASS. There will be riots :(

AirTurbulence

one Of the economists on Vincent's on wednesday said EU bailout goes straight into irish banks, so continental banks, pension funds can recoup the losses (at irish taxpayers expense). he also mentioned that irish banks will eventually sold, hence irish public would subsidise future banks buyers through accepting that EU loan. But do we have a choice? ...

Neil040

Website
galwayprint.blogspot.com
Unreal how everyone in the media is bandying around vast tens of billions of euro as if endless borrowing to pile into the banks was actually going to be a good thing for us.

I notice today they are saying they will fight to only that 6 billion budget adjustment because they are protecting us from the evil IMF.

:rolleyes:
I was just thinking about that yesterday Harmonica. I was thinking I wouldn't be surprised if the adjustment was actually the previously alluded to 7 billion euro and if it remains at 6 billion then next years will probably have to be a 6 billion adjustment also. Let's see what happens. I'd be surprised if corporation tax is touched.

Fish

I was talking to an elderly family friend yesterday, who commenting on the present state of the nation, made what I felt to be a very apt statement, which was! "I believe that the time has come for armed insurrection and for gallows to be constructed!"

As a democrat I tried to think of one reason why his statement was wrong and or extreme but could not think of any.

krusty

New spin "Its all about protecting the taxpayer"

This reminds me of years ago when the Teacher was about to take the skin of your hand with few lashes of the cane and he'd tell you "this will hurt me more that it will hurt you" . Protecting the taxpayer is about as believable as that was all those years ago (and probably as painful for the taxpayers ! )

Most Replies