New TV Adaptation of the 'Handmaid's tale'

flavirostris

I've been hearing a lot about this new TV adapation of Margaret Attwood's novel the 'Handmaid's Tale', which portrays a dystopian future world where women live under a brutal patriarchal society, in which they cannot work or vote and are treated as baby-making machines.

It was a famous 'feminist' novel but a lot of people are pointing out that the horrific fictional world portrayed by Attwood actually resembles the real Islamic world ( or a future world where Islam is dominant ).

Of course in Attwood's novel the fictional patriarchal society is dominated by white male Christians ( the ultimate feminist bogeyman ) but the strong resemblance to the Islamic world is clear.

Fritzbox

That was one book I couldn't finish, thought it was a bit fatuous.

petaljam

I've been hearing a lot about this new TV adapation of Margaret Attwood's novel the 'Handmaid's Tale', which portrays a dystopian future world where women live under a brutal patriarchal society, in which they cannot work or vote and are treated as baby-making machines.

It was a famous 'feminist' novel but a lot of people are pointing out that the horrific fictional world portrayed by Attwood actually resembles the real Islamic world ( or a future world where Islam is dominant ).

Of course in Attwood's novel the fictional patriarchal society is dominated by white males but the strong resemblance to the Islamic world is clear.
She herself compared it to Iran and, later, Afghanistan.
Obviously Pence and Trump have brought that "foreign" element back "home" in quite a worrying way.

handmaids-tale-margaret-atwood-interview-donald-trump/amp

And secondly, it’s spurred barrages from Twitter users who are convinced that the project is “leftist propaganda” specifically aimed at Trump—despite the fact that the book was written more than 30 years ago, and Hulu picked up the series months before Trump was even a presidential nominee.

“Something that was written in 1985 cannot possibly refer to him in any way,” Atwood said. “But it’s interesting that some people think that it does—enough to ask why they think that.”
Margaret Atwood Handmaids tale in an age of Trump

Last edited:

Munnkeyman

I thought it represented 1950's Ireland crossed with a dose of Nazi Germany's Lebensborn a bit more than anything else. References the bible quite a bit.

midlander12

I read the book a few years ago and to me it was obviously a satire on Islamist societies, right down to the public hangings (or 'renderings' as they were called, where the women could attend and take out some of their frustrations on the hapless condemned) and the rich generals with their harems. In was written in 1985, I think, shortly after the Iranian revolution. To compare it to America under Trump, as some now apparently are, is laughable.

I agree, not one of her best books. 'Blind Assassin' is a good deal more 'Trumpic', incidentally.

flavirostris

I'll have to reserve judgement till I watch it but the clips I saw does tend towards the leftwing propaganda narrative. Evil Christian patriarchy and so on.

GDPR

I thought it represented 1950's Ireland crossed with a dose of Nazi Germany's Lebensborn a bit more than anything else. References the bible quite a bit.
Its a wet-dream for the Irish alt right on here. Bunch of Christian white men take over, deport all the blacks, gays, lefties etc, and because a huge environmental disaster has left most women infertile, they round up the ones who can conceive, ride them in order to propagate the race, but dont marry them. They marry the ones who are infertile but pretty. There are some other old women round the place who make tea and do the cleaning. Women are deprived of all economic, social and judicial rights.

Basically, Pies basment boys should love it.

Fritzbox

I read the book a few years ago and to me it was obviously a satire on Islamist societies, right down to the public hangings (or 'renderings' as they were called, where the women could attend and take out some of their frustrations on the hapless condemned) and the rich generals with their harems. In was written in 1985, I think, shortly after the Iranian revolution. To compare it to America under Trump, as some now apparently are, is laughable.

I agree, not one of her best books. 'Blind Assassin' is a good deal more 'Trumpic', incidentally.
It was actually a comment on the rise of religious fundamentalism, the right-wing evangelists in the USA in the 1970s.

stopdoingstuff

She put my balls in a vice
but she left the tip
It's still hooked up
but now it shoots too quick.

Munnkeyman

Its a wet-dream for the Irish alt right on here. Bunch of Christian white men take over, deport all the blacks, gays, lefties etc, and because a huge environmental disaster has left most women infertile, they round up the ones who can conceive, ride them in order to propagate the race, but dont marry them. They marry the ones who are infertile but pretty. There are some other old women round the place who make tea and do the cleaning. Women are deprived of all economic, social and judicial rights.

Basically, Pies basment boys should love it.
If only that could be easily enshrined in the Constitution... almost.

eoghanacht

silverharp

eoghanacht

Never read the book. A friend and I rented the movie with Robert Ducal from Tommy who ran the sweetshop, Tommy would sell ye fags too.

Anyhow in our prepubescent minds we were the cusp of manhood, we'd gotten our hands on a dirty movie, needless to say we were bitterly disappointed.

silverharp

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies