• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

New Unionist party

sowhat

With the announcement of the formation of a new unionist party in April. What do posters think of the prospects for this breakaway faction of the UUP?
Personally, I always preferred the DUP types, being more honest on their, to say the least, dislike of Catholics.
You know where you stand with them. Whereas, the UUP types are like the type of person who is friendly towards you but speaks behind your back.
With most progressive Protestants voting for Alliance and to a lesser extent the SDLP, is their room on the political spectrum for a new unionist party in a declining unionist electorate?
Will McCrea and McCallister be able to attract other independent UUP exiles like Syliva Hermon and David McClarty?

between the bridges

With the announcement of the formation of a new unionist party in April. What do posters think of the prospects for this breakaway faction of the UUP?
Personally, I always preferred the DUP types, being more honest on their, to say the least, dislike of Catholics.
You know where you stand with them. Whereas, the UUP types are like the type of person who is friendly towards you but speaks behind your back.
With most progressive Protestants voting for Alliance and to a lesser extent the SDLP, is their room on the political spectrum for a new unionist party in a declining unionist electorate?
Will McCrea and McCallister be able to attract other independent UUP exiles like Syliva Hermon and David McClarty?
The UUP has always been a coalition of views across the unionist spectrum, this splinter is hoping to attract 'unionist light' votes, as for preferring the DUP i take it you would rather the GFA hadn't happened...

between the bridges

We cannot say yet what the new party will be called for that depends on discussions with the Electoral Commission but we can outline the guiding principles.

l A Northern Ireland party determined to represent all sections of our community.

l A party that is not afraid to speak out.

l A party capable of building a Northern Ireland we can all be proud off.

l An independent party which believes that Northern Ireland’s future is best advanced within the Union.

l A party committed to the values enshrined in the Belfast Agreement and determined to provide a credible alternative to the current political stalemate.

l A party that does not need to wrap itself in a flag, to provide leadership to the people of Northern Ireland.

l A party which believes in individuals as agents of change, where religious persuasion should not define political beliefs and where matters of conscience are best left to the individual.
A new Unionist party is born - Latest - Belfast Newsletter

sowhat

Between the bridges, where do you see them making any advances?
Outside the Belfast area where Alliance don`t do so well?
At whose expense will they succeed in winning new seats?

theloner

It'll be a welcomed step away from puritan, evangelic, supremacist unionist politics.

-It could be a home for the many unionists who don't believe in a god, much least one that dictates to private citizens how to live their lives.

-A home for those who don't need a flag above a building 365 to be confident of their British culture and identity.

-A unionist party that recognises the injustices and failings of the past.

-A party that wouldn't protest against Gay Pride events

-A unionist party that sees GAA primarily a sporting organisation and not the sporting wing of the IRA.

With the gloating of some of our unionist posters here in this forum over the great 'win' of sorts in the recent Spotlight poll, would the above party not secure the union more than a rip-roaring, red, white and blue bunch of religious, right wing loons? Particularly at a time when the recent Spotlight poll suggests there is a sizable number of nationalists who are comfortable with the status quo?

Glaucon

It'll be a welcomed step away from puritan, evangelic, supremacist unionist politics.

-It could be a home for the many unionists who don't believe in a god, much least one that dictates to private citizens how to live their lives.

-A home for those who don't need a flag above a building 365 to be confident of their British culture and identity.

-A unionist party that recognises the injustices and failings of the past.

-A party that wouldn't protest against Gay Pride events

-A unionist party that sees GAA primarily a sporting organisation and not the sporting wing of the IRA.

With the gloating of some of our unionist posters here in this forum over the great 'win' of sorts in the recent Spotlight poll, would the above party not secure the union more than a rip-roaring, red, white and blue bunch of religious, right wing loons? Particularly at a time when the recent Spotlight poll suggests there is a sizable number of nationalists who are comfortable with the status quo?
If they do it right, this could be a serious threat to the SDLP, which is composed of many Unionist-lite voters.

C

Castle Ray

If they do it right, this could be a serious threat to the SDLP, which is composed of many Unionist-lite voters.
Alliance and the UUP could be adversely effected by this party but also this party is more likely to appeal to the sizable section of non-voters. I doubt that the SDLP will be too worried about this party tbh.

sowhat

Does anyone think they could attract Sylvia Hermon or David McClarty into this party?

DT123

I don't think you will be seeing the word "Unionist" in the new party.It seems that they are taking the Union for granted for the forseeable future and are intent on simply making Northern Ireland the best place it can be.

It will be interesting to see if any of the "Northern Ireland " box ticking Catholics will feel able to join their ranks.

C

Castle Ray

Does anyone think they could attract Sylvia Hermon or David McClarty into this party?
It'll be interesting to see what this new party's economic and social policies are. McCrea and Herman are both left of centre but McCallister is right of centre. If they try to be all things to all people and are seen as just a soft unionist party then they will have missed a trick. They really need to offer non tribal Politics without Unionism being their defining policy otherwise they will just be offering more of the same.

McClarty won't join until very close to the next election as he stated he was elected as an independent and that's what his mandate is for this term.

physicist

Alliance and the UUP could be adversely effected by this party but also this party is more likely to appeal to the sizable section of non-voters. I doubt that the SDLP will be too worried about this party tbh.
To some extent, it wouldn't be new to either one of these politicians to challenge any of the parties above. Politics is the art of making frenemies ... Trying to get ahead of the competition but having to forge short term alliances with the same groups to get things done. The PR system will be interesting, with various voters of this party have their own favourite frenemy.

sowhat

I don't think you will be seeing the word "Unionist" in the new party.It seems that they are taking the Union for granted for the forseeable future and are intent on simply making Northern Ireland the best place it can be.

It will be interesting to see if any of the "Northern Ireland " box ticking Catholics will feel able to join their ranks.
I doubt it unless they are like Alliance and are neutral and open minded on the union with Britain.
If something is agreed in a decade`s time, short of the reunification of Ireland, like joint sovereignty or shared sovereignty, I don`t think Alliance would have a problem with it but I`m sure even the ex-liberal wing of the UUP would still oppose it.
However, I would be pleasantly surprised if they were at least open to discuss it.

Glaucon

I doubt it unless they are like Alliance and are neutral and open minded on the union with Britain.
If something is agreed in a decades time, short of the reunification of Ireland, like joint sovereignty or shared sovereignty, I don`t think Alliance would have a problem with it but I`m sure even the ex liberal wing of the UUP would still oppose it.
However, I would be pleasantly surprised if they were at least open to discuss it.
Unionists of every hue will always oppose reunification. "Unionist outreach" is silly and useless.

physicist

It'll be interesting to see what this new party's economic and social policies are. McCrea and Herman are both left of centre but McCallister is right of centre. If they try to be all things to all people and are seen as just a soft unionist party then they will have missed a trick. They really need to offer non tribal Politics without Unionism being their defining policy otherwise they will just be offering more of the same.

McClarty won't join until very close to the next election as he stated he was elected as an independent and that's what his mandate is for this term.

What applies to McClarty can apply to Herman, as for the left/right divide parties often go to the centre point of their membership, e.g. the balance between Tea Party activists, Conservatives and Neo-liberals in the Republican Party. The orientation of their party will be determined by their recruits whether Basil and John like it or not. I think they should unite who they can behind their message and then judge the lie of the land so to speak.

Another matter on the left-right divide is that with limited fiscal powers, the assembly's ability to do the right thing or the left thing on any occasion is severely reduced from the grandiose ideologies that left and right parties have in a full scale government. Secondly, the very real fiscal uncertainty in both the UK, ROI and EU has left only quantised levels of opportunity for fiscal intervention by other nations. That's not to say that after the party is moderated within itself, it then has to face the challenge it may need to moderate itself again to defeat motions or pass them as Private Members.

Fra_south_Derry

McAllister is toast come the next election. 3rd sdlp candidate may slip in with the unionist vote even more split.

cricket

I think this party might attract many former unionist voters who no longer vote. I know just a few unionists who are embarrassed by the support given by the current parties to the hoodies on the flag protests and some other antics, including Garvaghy Road. Time will tell.

physicist

McAllister is toast come the next election. 3rd sdlp candidate may slip in with the unionist vote even more split.
That might be the case, it would of course depend on the actions of a lot of factors and most importantly the people of South Down. However if you are not prepared to suffer for your principles then perhaps you don't really have any, we saw with McClarty and before him Keiran Deeney what a principled politician can accomplish.

The SDLP will not be underestimating him.

sowhat

It will be interesting to see this new party`s attitude to the policing of the G8 summit in June. The PSNI failed to cope with the flag protests and need an additional 3,000 police to police the G8 summit in Fermanagh. It`s understandable that police in Britain are not keen in coming over to the aid of the PSNI due to the dissident threat but according to the Irish Times article below, the Gardai will not be invited to help on the northern side of the border. Clearly, SF, the SDLP would support this and Alliance would`t oppose it but the DUP and UUP would oppose this logical practical step tooth and nail.
It`s a bit of a double standard by the PSNI when plainclothes Gardai already take witness statements etc in NI. The article is here

Gardaí will not be asked to help PSNI police G8 summit - The Irish Times - Wed, Feb 27, 2013

Mickeymac

That might be the case, it would of course depend on the actions of a lot of factors and most importantly the people of South Down. However if you are not prepared to suffer for your principles then perhaps you don't really have any, we saw with McClarty and before him Keiran Deeney what a principled politician can accomplish.

The SDLP will not be underestimating him.

You can bet your bottom dollar they won't, he will scoop the unionist from Ritchie, thus making South Down a SF gain at the next Westminster election.