• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New vehicle registration format - anyone know the cost?

Disillusioned democrat

The ridiculous step to change the two digit code for year of registration is a real insight into how this country is run by and for vested interests.

At a time of crisis, when people can hardly afford food we're going to make changes to accommodate the SIMI members sell a few more cars...and there was I think the government and public service had important things to worry about.

Does anyone have a clue how much this will cost to implement? Changes to the motor tax system, testing, changes to Gardai systems and forms across the board, I would be surprised if a change like this was implemented for less than €1m, but that doesn't seem to matter as long as the vested interests are server I suppose.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
So it's a 3 digit code for the half year and everything else is the same.
Why is this going to cost much?

Sierra

Will this require an upgrade of the Garda ANPR system to recognise the new plates?

FakeViking

The ridiculous step to change the two digit code for year of registration is a real insight into how this country is run by and for vested interests.

At a time of crisis, when people can hardly afford food we're going to make changes to accommodate the SIMI members sell a few more cars...and there was I think the government and public service had important things to worry about.

Does anyone have a clue how much this will cost to implement? Changes to the motor tax system, testing, changes to Gardai systems and forms across the board, I would be surprised if a change like this was implemented for less than €1m, but that doesn't seem to matter as long as the vested interests are server I suppose.
Jaysus, I wish you were a client of mine.

QuizMaster

Website
www.quizmatic.com
Will this require an upgrade of the Garda ANPR system to recognise the new plates?
I doubt it, they already have to take non-Irish numbers into account.
And if they have an algorithm for reading the year of registration from the first 2 digits, that will still work.

NFD100

Are they going to standardise the typeface/font on the new plates? The present system allows any font you like unlike every other European country. Looks messy.

Orbit v2

I think it's a bit of a half baked solution which just copies the UK in usual slavish fashion. If the problem is everyone buying their cars at the beginning of the year, then just take the year off the number plates altogether (like every other country in Europe). There is actually no need for people to parade the age of their car to all and sundry (except maybe to create demand for new cars).

potholedogger

Jaysus, I wish you were a client of mine.
If we could target those kind of targets for our export market our economy would be in great health in a few years.

Sheep Shearers often refer to a sheep having the wool "well out on them" which means that the new wool has started to grow and the shears cuts through it more easily than the old tougher wool.

Yes the wool is well out on Original Poster all right!

'orebel

I doubt it, they already have to take non-Irish numbers into account.
And if they have an algorithm for reading the year of registration from the first 2 digits, that will still work.
I very much doubt it.
Isn't that why having a non standard number plate in the UK can land you in deep do-do?

lostexpectation

Website
dublinstreams.blogspot.com
I think it's a bit of a half baked solution which just copies the UK in usual slavish fashion. If the problem is everyone buying their cars at the beginning of the year, then just take the year off the number plates altogether (like every other country in Europe). There is actually no need for people to parade the age of their car to all and sundry (except maybe to create demand for new cars).
do they take the month car is bought into account on resale price in europe?

NFD100

I very much doubt it.
Isn't that why having a non standard number plate in the UK can land you in deep do-do?
Yes, If you drive in GB without a standardised number plate, you are asking to be stopped by the police.

mickmick

There is actually no need for people to parade the age of their car to all and sundry (except maybe to create demand for new cars).
The Gardai love it though. It's very easy for witnesses to remember the year number and county letters and they can usually narrow down the list of suspect cars with a partial match. E.G. 'It was a 11 D black mercedes SUV and the number ended in 7'
This is much harder to do with UK-style plates where the witness will usualy remember things like "it was a black Mercedes SUV with a five or an s in it and it ended in 7"

L

longshortgrass

131 D 1234 v 13 D 1234....cost zero, more cars sold, government gets more revenue.

Win win.....some people here have little to worry about. :roll:

Disillusioned democrat

131 D 1234 v 13 D 1234....cost zero, more cars sold, government gets more revenue.

Win win.....some people here have little to worry about. :roll:
How about all the businesses that have invested in automated security gates using optical registration? What about Pulse, the Gardai's system, what about MotorTax.ie that is managed by a 3rd party that thrives on change requests?

People who say "zero cost" probably have "zero understanding" of the processes, paper work and technology that makes things look easy.

And as for "more cars sold", that could just as easily read "more money exported" - this country needs new cars like it needs upward only rent reviews.

Disillusioned democrat

Motor Dealers will have better cash flow which leaves room to reduce costs and lower prices!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.........hahahahahahahahhahahaha...yes, that's exactly how things work in this country.

Sadly any saving will be required to donate to the election fund of the gombeen TD who agitated for this in the first place.

D

Dylan2010

jaysus, waits for someone to say that joyriders are good for the economy.....

G

Gimpanzee

How about all the businesses that have invested in automated security gates using optical registration? What about Pulse, the Gardai's system, what about MotorTax.ie that is managed by a 3rd party that thrives on change requests?

People who say "zero cost" probably have "zero understanding" of the processes, paper work and technology that makes things look easy.

And as for "more cars sold", that could just as easily read "more money exported" - this country needs new cars like it needs upward only rent reviews.
Optical sensor systems that are designed to recognise numberplates would have difficulty with this? I think you've lost the plot on this one.

FakeViking

How about all the businesses that have invested in automated security gates using optical registration? What about Pulse, the Gardai's system, what about MotorTax.ie that is managed by a 3rd party that thrives on change requests?.
Just how more difficult is it to enter "131 D 1234" than "13 D 1234"?

statsman

Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells

Again.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies