New water supply for Dublin from the River Shannon?

GDPR

Irish Water has announced its proposal for a new water supply for Dublin and other counties. The proposal has been on the cards for a while and with a price tag of 900 million Euros it would be one of the biggest state infrastructure projects to date and of huge national importance. Right now Irish Water are looking for you to have your say before a planning application is lodged.

No doubt this will generate huge interest both for and against. Let them know your views and indeed what do you think of the project on here.

Detailed report: http://www.watersupplyproject.ie/wp-content/uploads/2015/11/Vol-1_Main-Report_PrelimOptionsAppraisal.pdf

Water Supply Project Eastern and Midlands Region
This is the route Irish Water wants its Shannon to Dublin pipeline to take

Last edited:

truthisfree

I researched this some years ago and pretty much everywhere in the world this has been done demand has outstripped supply. This needs to be studied very carefully before it is decided on.

Having said that IW has been a disaster since it's inception, and allowing them to spend another billion on this pipeline is scandalous.

wombat

I preferred the BNM idea to take water from Lough Ree to a new midlands reservoir in a cutaway bog as it could have been used to control flooding as well as supplying water but the political obstacles were not worth the effort. Having the source close to the mouth of the river should reassure the tourist lobby about water levels so compensation to farmers will be the main issue.

truthisfree

I preferred the BNM idea to take water from Lough Ree to a new midlands reservoir in a cutaway bog as it could have been used to control flooding as well as supplying water but the political obstacles were not worth the effort. Having the source close to the mouth of the river should reassure the tourist lobby about water levels so compensation to farmers will be the main issue.
The reservoir is a good idea as peak demand will be when water levels are at their lowest and the shannon has a huge difference in flow between winter and summer.

Spanner Island

The reservoir is a good idea as peak demand will be when water levels are at their lowest and the shannon has a huge difference in flow between winter and summer.
Whatever is the best idea/solution/option will NOT happen.

Whatever is the worst and probably most expensive idea/solution/option probably WILL.

This is Ireland.

The Field Marshal

There was somebody discussing this on the radio this morning worried about the effect on the Shannon itself.
Gimp S. O,Rourke of RTE was deriding any such possibility.
[So do not expect as usual anything but the usual biased ,partisan and error filled coverage from that source]

IINM The proposed pipe would be 2m in diameter with a 100 metre corridor either side!
The disruption to communities along this extremely long corridor would be immense.

The water from the Shannon will still have to receive intensive treatment to render it fit for human consumption.

Im surprised that regional aquifers and other rivers in the Leinster region of which there are many could not be tapped to meet this expected demand.
Or indeed has desalination of the east coasts adjacent seas been considered?

shoneen

Has the No campaign started yet or is it a still a bit early in the day?

Spanner Island

There was somebody discussing this on the radio this morning worried about the effect on the Shannon itself.
Gimp S. O,Rourke of RTE was deriding any such possibility.
[So do not expect as usual anything but the usual biased ,partisan and error filled coverage from that source]

IINM The proposed pipe would be 2m in diameter with a 100 metre corridor either side!
The disruption to communities along this extremely long corridor would be immense.

The water from the Shannon will still have to receive intensive treatment to render it fit for human consumption.

Im surprised that regional aquifers and other rivers in the Leinster region of which there are many could not be tapped to meet this expected demand.
Or indeed has desalination of the east coasts adjacent seas been considered?
Hey man... we want free water so the source has to be as cheap and easy as possible...

Desalination is expensive and is only really done in rich emirates and other places where there's not much rain or rivers or anything much...

That option here would undoubtedly lead us to end up with the highest water costs in the world... cos this is Ireland.

I don't understand why a 100m wide corridor would be required for a 2m wide pipe though. That just seems mental.

Any engineers around who might be able to shed any light on that?

Civic_critic2

I would have zero faith that the political class are doing this for the right reasons. I can see bottles of Sparkling Shannon Water from the Emerald Isle being sold around the world. They should be turfed into the Shannon not given control of it.

wombat

I don't understand why a 100m wide corridor would be required for a 2m wide pipe though. That just seems mental.

The 200m wide path is to allow for flexibility at detailed design stage. They have surveyed the route but there are likely to be local obstacles which will need to be avoided. Eventually, there will be a narrow path where no building will be allowed, similar to the gas pipeline though likely narrower.

GDPR

10 metres either side of the pipe would be plenty, design stage there for flexibility as wombat said.

D

Deleted member 48908

Hey man... we want free water so the source has to be as cheap and easy as possible...

Desalination is expensive and is only really done in rich emirates and other places where there's not much rain or rivers or anything much...

That option here would undoubtedly lead us to end up with the highest water costs in the world... cos this is Ireland.

Moor one if these in Dublin Bay and problem solved...

Experimental but imagine what an early investment of €900m could do for it.

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/617057247482093588

Bubbleheaded

Wonder what size of reservoir you could build in Leinster for €900 million? Wonder if it could incorporate hydro generation like Turlough Hill? Possibly not, but I seriously wonder if Irish Water has the expertise or desire to look at all possible solutions. My guess is that they will only look at the solution that is seen as the preferred one politically.

Spanner Island

Moor one if these in Dublin Bay and problem solved...

Experimental but imagine what an early investment of €900m could do for it.

https://www.minds.com/blog/view/617057247482093588
We're going to end up turning the world into one big machine to support us in order to make up for the destruction of all the natural habitats and processes that did all this stuff so much better and cheaper...

F***ing madness but probably too late to avoid now.

The Field Marshal

Its a 100 metres either side, 200 metres in total.
The approximate length is 150 km.

It does seem to be a very very large corridor for a 2 metre diameter pipe.
I would have thought 35 metres either side of any such pipeline more than enough.

D

Deleted member 48908

We're going to end up turning the world into one big machine to support us in order to make up for the destruction of all the natural habitats and processes that did all this stuff so much better and cheaper...

F***ing madness but probably too late to avoid now.
The Matrix intensifies. ;)

Spanner Island

Its a 100 metres either side, 200 metres in total.
The approximate length is 150 km.

It does seem to be a very very large corridor for a 2 metre diameter pipe.
I would have thought 35 metres either side of any such pipeline more than enough.
Yep... I realise now it's 200m! which is even madder.

wombat has explained why however...

BACKTOBASICS

Whatever is the best idea/solution/option will NOT happen.

Whatever is the worst and probably most expensive idea/solution/option probably WILL.

This is Ireland.

The first solution is to completely get rid of the Irish Water name and quango and bury the whole shambles in a bog somewhere.

It will be some expensive crack if the politicians, (particularly, FF/FG/Labour, GP) manage to get the rotten edifice privatised, with the resultant exorbitant increase in pricing for farmers, householders, and businesses.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies