• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

New Work For Dole Scheme Announced

dotski_w_

Website
irishpollingreport.wordpress.com
RTÉ News: 'Work for dole' scheme announced

Details a bit sketchy. Is it a good idea?
Depends on the implementation. If it's not immediate (i.e. people have a decent chance to look around for a job that suits them before they're put on it), if there's actual thought to matching them to positions that could bring them back into proper employment, if there's actual support for the organisations that take them on, and mentoring/training for them to make the transition to paid work, and if it's not displacing people in paid employment, I feel schemes like this can have a benefit, particularly now that there's a greater proportion of our unemployed who are fairly employable, or would be if there were jobs around.

'Course, implemented poorly it will waste money, undermine important services, a result in job losses by those being displaced....

asknoquestions

getting unemployed and underemployed people to do work that should be done by people on a proper wage - Cael should like it. Eventually, we should be closer to East Berlin than Boston, as everybody will have a "job" but nobody will have to do any work.

RightCentreLeft

Depends on the implementation. If it's not immediate (i.e. people have a decent chance to look around for a job that suits them before they're put on it), if there's actual thought to matching them to positions that could bring them back into proper employment, if there's actual support for the organisations that take them on, and mentoring/training for them to make the transition to paid work, and if it's not displacing people in paid employment, I feel schemes like this can have a benefit, particularly now that there's a greater proportion of our unemployed who are fairly employable, or would be if there were jobs around.

'Course, implemented poorly it will waste money, undermine important services, a result in job losses by those being displaced....
The main problem I have with it - as someone who is fairly recently unemployed - is that if -Like the WPP Scheme- there is no travel/transport allowance then it could result in a cut of 10-15% off my Jobseekers payment. Other than that I would be willing to do the 19.5 hours per week.

foreignfield80

What if the people on these schemes organise?

Cato

properly implemented it is a good idea
Remember now this is a state run by an incompetent and corrupt kleptocracy. Why should we have any confidence that it will be 'properly implemented'. They will probably end up tending the gardens of prominent FFers.

MrDarcy

Another half arsed persian bizzare attempt at sorting out a problem and making a complete balls of it.

How many people will this scheme take off state dependency??? Answer: none!

So therefore it doesn't deal to any extent whatsoever which is our biggest problem at the moment, unemployment.

Likely Lad

An extra 72 cents per hour worked, not taking into account transport costs, who said the unemployed aren't second class citizens in this country!

If the government bothered to create jobs, if the government bothered to make sure FÁS do what it is supposed to do and provide support to the unemployed, if the government bothered to create proper re-training schemes and courses for all then this initiative may have some purpose for the unemployed who refuse help but otherwise this is a dangerous slave labour progamme that is going to have disasterous consequences for the unemployed and society on the whole, you are punishing people for being unemployed.

motorheed

An extra 72 cents per hour worked, not taking into account transport costs, who said the unemployed aren't second class citizens in this country!

If the government bothered to create jobs, if the government bothered to make sure FÁS do what it is supposed to do and provide support to the unemployed, if the government created proper re-training schemes and courses then this initiative may have some puropose for the unemployed who refuse help but otherwise this is a dangerous slave labour progamme that is going to have disasterous consequences for the unemployed and society on the whole, you are punishing people for being unemployed.
+1

louis bernard

To me it looks just like an expansion of the present community employment scheme. If so it’s not a bad idea.

RightCentreLeft

The main problem I have with it - as someone who is fairly recently unemployed - is that if -Like the WPP Scheme- there is no travel/transport allowance then it could result in a cut of 10-15% off my Jobseekers payment. Other than that I would be willing to do the 19.5 hours per week.
Sorry i didnt see the fact that I would get extra €15 per week. If the €15 more or less covers my transport costs then I dont think I would have a problem doing it. As long as it didnt involve the usual FAS type cronyism where I would be cleaning some FF'ers garden or something (as another poster just said!). But ultimately it doesnt do anything to solve unemployment. And really its complete rubbish to say that it is upskilling when it is just really community work.

Cato

people will have to que for free food in Ireland within two years
It's already happening in Dublin. Some charities are giving out food parcels on a regular basis.

exileinleinster

Sorry i didnt see the fact that I would get extra €15 per week. If the €15 more or less covers my transport costs then I dont think I would have a problem doing it. As long as it didnt involve the usual FAS type cronyism where I would be cleaning some FF'ers garden or something (as another poster just said!). But ultimately it doesnt do anything to solve unemployment. And really its complete rubbish to say that it is upskilling when it is just really community work.
Does that really happen?

So people are going to be paid the dole to look for work and yet they will be at work working for less than the minimum wage?

And why dont these jobs already exist? SLAVE LABOUR.

Court case coming I think!

Popular Threads

Most Replies