• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please contact us.

New York & Berlin Bans 'Entire' Apartments from AirBnB. Should Dublin Follow?

YesSireeeBob

Imagine walking around Dublin and there was a To Let sign outside these apartments on AirBnB - and these are just the properties that are available, a lot more will be let in the summer tourist season.

Is is time for the government to ban entire apartments from AirBnB?

Obviously family homes would still be able to use the service but the government could even do something here in the form of tax incentives, for owners to offer digs.

I'm sure a lot of the neighbors of AirBnB renters would be happy to see a ban also.
In some cities like London and NY people are even buying apartments just to let on AirBnB.

https://www.airdna.co/city/ie/dublin
Another dublin map

Berlin stops Airbnb renting
Berlin ban on Airbnb short-term rentals upheld by city court

Berlin has banned tourists from renting entire apartments through Airbnb and its competitors in an attempt to protect affordable housing.

With the help of large fines, the German city's authorities are hoping to protect the property supply and keep rents as low as possible.

After the success of the various online rental portals, the number of properties available for long-term rental periods had fallen markedly

But from 1 May, the new law entitled "Zweckentfremdungsverbot" bans the short-term let of entire apartments to tourists without a city permit.

New York votes to ban ads for whole apartments on Airbnb

New York already makes it illegal to offer your whole apartment for short-term rentals through services like Airbnb, but it's giving that legislation some added bite.

As part of a flurry of end-of-term approvals, the state's assembly and senate have voted for a bill that would make it illegal just to advertise your entire place for a short (under 30 days) rental.

You'll face a $1,000 fine the first time you're caught, $5,000 the second time and $7,500 the third.

mr_anderson

The government needs to divert all quango money to building houses & apartments.
This 'crises' would be over in about 24 months.

Anyone who agrees with banning the use of privately-held property is letting this incompetent government off the hook.

asset test

Read somewhere today that Iceland is also banning it for empty apartments i.e. not a room in someone's abode, which was the original premise for AIRBnB wasn't it?

Should be banned, then there would be so much more property available for long term renters.

But the PRTB need to up their game WRT anti social tenant issues. non payers and evictions, and overstayers etc. The CC's should offer incentives to landlords to let to RA clients, even if they paid the PRTB registration fee, and paid the rent directly to the LL. Sometimes it's the simple things.

Gin Soaked

Had not consdered the effect of AirBnB on housing market. Thought it was too niche and just for tourists.

We do need to support the tourist demand for self catering. When we use Air BnB we spend a lot in restaurants which is cash straight into that economy. Dublin has a big corp centre for ABnB so can't see anything happening.

Re. housing crisis?

Build or go home. Pure supply problem.

JacquesHughes

Xenophobia and the holiday let.

'Coming over here; taking our apartments....'

Some of our ever vigilant quangos are bound to recognise an '...ophobia' of some sort in these attitudes.
I'm thinking we should be grateful visiting Dublin is somehow still attractive to tourists despite the outrageous cost of accommodation.

Now. Just to plan my investment strategy; Is letting one's property as a 'serviced apartment' also banned in these cities?

S

SeamusNapoleon

In two minds about this.

I am currently sitting in an entire-apartment AirBnB renting on the east coast of the US. I am here for a major conference with some colleagues and this apartment was significantly less than the cost of individual hotel rooms. Hotel rooms for the weekend just past and these coming days is skyhigh as a result of the conference, and our company policy is to seek out the cheaper options for accommodation (within reason).

This place seems clearly not to be lived in by the "owner"; there are some basics in the cupboards (salt, pepper) but not others (cooking oil). If I lived in this city and struggled to find accommodation, I would be mad at this kind of carry-on. But, as a customer, it benefits me and my employers as it is cheaper than price-jacked hotels.

Watcher2

Imagine walking around Dublin and there was a To Let sign outside these apartments on AirBnB - and these are just the properties that are available, a lot more will be let in the summer tourist season.

Is is time for the government to ban entire apartments from AirBnB?

Obviously family homes would still be able to use the service but the government could even do something here in the form of tax incentives, for owners to offer digs.

I'm sure a lot of the neighbors of AirBnB renters would be happy to see a ban also.
In some cities like London and NY people are even buying apartments just to let on AirBnB.

https://www.airdna.co/city/ie/dublin
Another dublin map

Berlin stops Airbnb renting
Berlin ban on Airbnb short-term rentals upheld by city court

New York votes to ban ads for whole apartments on Airbnb
With the mention of "...without a city permit" suggests that heretofore, AirBnBers, were renting apartments in breach of local legislation. If they get a permit, sounds like there would be no problem.

Otherwise, I see no difference in this and other more traditional ways of renting to tourists. Did the hotel and BnB industry lobby the government because AirBnB offers a better/cheaper offering?

McDave

Bona fide residents need to be supported, so, yes, I favour bans on such letting models.

Congalltee

We do it by a sneaky way; revenue and planning.
The government won't pass a law lest someone challenge it and the government would have to rely on "the common good" which could set a precedent in relation to the much protected vulcher funds.

Analyzer

Dublin has gone further - effectively banning apartments from substantial parts of yhe "urban" area.

No wonser there is an accomodation shortage.

YesSireeeBob

High court has issued interim orders retraining the owners of an apartment letting it out to short-term holiday guests.
Injunction remains in place pending a full hearing.

The short term users were causing serious nuisance with some returning late from pubs /clubs with large amounts of alcohol.

The couple didn't turn up to court.

Court restrains short-term letting of Co Kerry apartment

The case means the High Court may, for the first time, have to address issues concerning the rights of traditional users of residential apartments against those of owners who let them out for short-term “Airbnb” type lettings, Mr Justice Paul Gilligan said.

Mr Justice Gilligan, while prepared to grant the order, said there was a major issue to be dealt with at full hearing regarding apartment owners and those who operate Airbnb type rentals.

One issue which would have to be considered is owners whose apartments may be rented to “a more genteel client base which does not cause any problems”.

Jim Car

The government needs to divert all quango money to building houses & apartments.
This 'crises' would be over in about 24 months.

Anyone who agrees with banning the use of privately-held property is letting this incompetent government off the hook.
Deregulate the areas and make it attractive, easy and quick for all from small time developers to others not just massive construction companies to build and then this issue would sort itself out pretty quick. The state as usual will make a mess of the whole think and we will be sitting here in a year to 18 months saying......hmmm seems regulations and government intervention did not work any ideas?... oh ya lets try more regulation and government intervention.
Also the idea that government can tell you how to and not to manage your own private property in terms of getting profit provided what your doing is not illegal is pretty sick.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies