• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

News - Friend of Sinn Fein charged with membership of proscribed organisation

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
BBC News - Sean Hughes, 51, bailed over IRA membership

Partial content:

A south Armagh man has appeared in court charged with IRA membership.

Sean Gerard Hughes, 51, from Aghavadoyle Road in Jonesborough, was arrested earlier this week by police making inquiries linked to the murder of Robert McCartney in 2005.

My comment - it's good to see that the authorities are monitoring for any signs of PIRA activity.

Last edited:

Glaucon

You tried this yesterday with a different title and got the boot.
Your OP breaks site rules, given that you have posted a news article with no opinion or topic for discussion.

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
You tried this yesterday with a different title and got the boot.
Your OP breaks site rules, given that you have posted a news article with no opinion or topic for discussion.
I was told yesterday that the reason my OP was eliminated was that it posted the whole related article referred to in the link.

I have corrected that.

There is a topic for discussion - a friend of Sinn Fein has been charged with membership of a proscribed organisation.

Can't you think of anything to say about that?

My opinion - it's good to see that the authorities are keeping tabs on those within the PRM for any illegal activity. The PIRA 'itself' advised all members to do nothing but engage in political activity from a certain date. If this guy has done what he is accused of then he has not followed the advice given by the PIRA itself.

C

Castle Ray

Outside the court, Conor Murphy said the charges had been brought as a result of political policing.
If someone is considered to have broken the law, is arrested and charged with doing so, then is followed by the legal process of prosecution and court proceedings, how is it "political policing"? If the there was no case to answer there would be no prosecution. That has nothing to do with the police. Does Murphy mean "political prosecution"?

Swords Hoopster

Membership of the IRA? What IRA? The dissident ones or the old one that's gone now?

Marcella

Thousands will be spent on a case that will collapse before any verdict. What is the point of this ?

Cruimh

If someone is considered to have broken the law, is arrested and charged with doing so, then is followed by the legal process of prosecution and court proceedings, how is it "political policing"? If the there was no case to answer there would be no prosecution. That has nothing to do with the police. Does Murphy mean "political prosecution"?
SF are in favour of Political Policing so long as they have immunity.

Conor Murphy? Has he no shame?

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Membership of the IRA? What IRA? The dissident ones or the old one that's gone now?
If by the latter you are referring to the PIRA then it hasn't gone away.

The leadership of it told members to stop being violent but SFAIK it hasn't gone away. There was no announcement that it had disbanded.

There are allegations that members of the PIRA are still acting on behalf of that organization. Such activity is still illegal, and is contrary to what the PIRA leadership said - that members should only engage in political activities in future.

The allegations are that some PIRA bigwigs are still throwing their weight around using the PIRA name.

Evergreenfinch

I'm a tad confused. How can membership of a non-existent organisation be illegal?
Just because the Provos told the world they don't exist anymore means everyone has to believe them.

They claimed to have completed decomissioning yet they found a Provo RPG this week!

between the bridges

I'm a tad confused. How can membership of a non-existent organisation be illegal?
We know it shows in every post... as for your question it isn't...go figure...

Dimples 77

Duplicate Account
Just because the Provos told the world they don't exist anymore means everyone has to believe them.

They claimed to have completed decomissioning yet they found a Provo RPG this week!

The Provos have never said that the PIRA doesn't exist anymore.

Some people think that is what their statement meant, but they never said that the PIRA had been disbanded.

Swords Hoopster

Okay, so the PIRA is still around? First I've heard of it. So why are the Unionists sharing power if the PIRA is still operating?

This is a bolt of the blue gents. To be honest though, it all sounds a tad ridiculous.

Marcella

Why do you think it will collapse?
I don't believe the PSNI have the evidence to gain a prosecution. Just how did the PSNI suddenly incover evidence from alleged IRA meetings dating back to 2005. It makes no sense. It all remains to be seen of course, I'll happily bet Hughes will walk. He won't lose a second's sleep over this.

New Threads

Popular Threads

Most Replies