• It has come to our attention that some users may have been "banned" when they tried to change their passwords after the site was hacked due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software. This would have occurred around the end of February and does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you believe you were affected by this, please contact a staff member or use the Contact us link at the bottom of any forum page.

News of our economic downfall reaches The Simpsons.

Truth.ie

This clip will probably highlight our situation to more people globally, than any Wall Street Times article.
Mr Burns calls for Irish immigrants to come peel potatoes in the U.S
‘I’ve lots of potatoes that need peeling’ - Mr Burns pokes fun at Ireland’s economic woes - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Independent.ie
Although funny, I have to say we'd call it racist if it was Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning delivering the joke.
Shows that it's not necessarily the content of humour but the context.
Anyway, take a bow, our global image as poor immigrants has been restored.
3/4 of a million hits in 3 days.

True Republican

Yeah just saw the clip, it was quite funny.

Éireann go Brách

It a joke about mr burns age not the Irish economic downfall
mr burns thinks that Irish not Hispanic is the main issue with USA immigration as it was 1850-1900 cicra

Jokes about his very old age are a running gag on the show

sport02

A few years ago the Simpsons production team came to Ireland during the celtic tiger years as a result of an Irish based show.

I don't watch the Simspons but recall the episode littered with IBM/Google etc images shown a new Ireland but still a pub segment with the 'drunken Irish'

lying eyes

A few years ago the Simpsons production team came to Ireland during the celtic tiger years as a result of an Irish based show.

I don't watch the Simspons but recall the episode littered with IBM/Google etc images shown a new Ireland but still a pub segment with the 'drunken Irish'
With Biffo being the main star in that section........

True Republican

The British don't do that, though, with the exception of 1970s leftover 'comedians' - it is on American and Australian television that you get the 'drunken thick Mick' stuff.
The Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph have been known to slag off Irish people.

The Daily Mail and the Daily Telegraph have been known to slag off Irish people.
For being drunken 'thick Paddies'? I don't remember that happening since the days of Sir John Junor.

No, the British tend to go out of their ways not to offend, particularly so nowadays. The stereotyping of us as thick drunks with baby-factory wives is almost exclusively on American television. Have you ever watched any Star Trek episodes involving Irish people?...

True Republican

For being drunken 'thick Paddies'? I don't remember that happening since the days of Sir John Junor.

No, the British tend to go out of their ways not to offend, particularly so nowadays. The stereotyping of us as thick drunks with baby-factory wives is almost exclusively on American television. Have you ever watched any Star Trek episodes involving Irish people?...
Okay the British are very politically correct these days even the Tories have embraced political correctness, I've never seen any star trek episodes.

Kevin Doyle

Thought the one set in Fairhaven wasn't so bad, that said Kate Mulgrew is a full blooded red head Irish Colleen.

Mackers

Okay the British are very politically correct these days even the Tories have embraced political correctness, I've never seen any star trek episodes.
When Scotty died the new engineer was Irish ergo beam me up Paddy.

Only kidding.

Thought the one set in Fairhaven wasn't so bad, that said Kate Mulgrew is a full blooded red head Irish Colleen.
Aside from the accents, which were awful, the villagers were nearly exclusively portrayed as thick, superstitious, and mob-like (and before anyone says it - even more superstitious than their supposed Catholicism)...

The Next Generation episode had us all living in barns and being feckless idiots.

The one time British television tried anything similar in recent years (the Eastenders episodes in the 1990s) there was uproar. And, of course, it was Irish actors portraying us that way...

Truth.ie

Was that the one where Homer was disappointed to discover Irish bars were soul-less pits frequented by pretentious twats and Yuppies.
And Protestants and Catholics were fighting in the streets waving Union Jacks and tricolours?
Such ridiculous stereotypes....ahem.

TheWexfordInn

Family guy incorporated the same 'drunken Irish' stereotype into one of their episodes

[video=youtube;ogLoJv9WfEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLoJv9WfEE[/video][/QUOTE]

Analyzer

This clip will probably highlight our situation to more people globally, than any Wall Street Times article.
Mr Burns calls for Irish immigrants to come peel potatoes in the U.S
‘I’ve lots of potatoes that need peeling’ - Mr Burns pokes fun at Ireland’s economic woes - TV & Radio, Entertainment - Independent.ie
Although funny, I have to say we'd call it racist if it was Jim Davidson or Bernard Manning delivering the joke.
Shows that it's not necessarily the content of humour but the context.
Anyway, take a bow, our global image as poor immigrants has been restored.
3/4 of a million hits in 3 days.
Will they make that "lifestyle choice" ?

True Republican

Family guy incorporated the same 'drunken Irish' stereotype into one of their episodes

[video=youtube;ogLoJv9WfEE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogLoJv9WfEE[/video]
[/QUOTE]

Family Guy is a brilliant programme, love it.