• Due to a glitch in the old vBulletin software, some users were "banned" when they tried to change their passwords at the end of February. This does not apply after the site was converted to Xenforo. If you were affected by this, please us viua the Contact us link in the footer.

Newsletter running a Border Poll on its website - 86% want it

Iarmhi Gael

Should there be a border poll? - News - Belfast Newsletter

The figures show 86% among the Newsletter readers (which are dominately Unionist)

I am amazed at this - I heard some people saying that the poll is rigged as many Catholics are voting on it - which I find rich coming from a community who collected Union flag figures flying during the Covenant march oct and said 95% of the Belfast population who voted wanted the Union flag left on City Hall.

First can I ask that no catholic views this as an incentive to go onto that link which I posted above and spend the 10 secs to vote. Secondly its has now become apparent that the Unionist population of the Newsletter reader want a Border Poll - which can only be welcomed

Legolas

Time to call SF's bluff. Sad the SoS is ruling it out, would have been nice revival for Unionism. Hope she changes her mind.

Mickeymac

The figures show 86% among the Newsletter readers (which are dominately Unionist)

I am amazed at this - I heard some people saying that the poll is rigged as many Catholics are voting on it - which I find rich coming from a community who collected Union flag figures flying during the Covenant march oct and said 95% of the Belfast population who voted wanted the Union flag left on City Hall.

First can I ask that no catholic views this as an incentive to go onto that link which I posted above and spend the 10 secs to vote. Secondly its has now become apparent that the Unionist population of the Newsletter reader want a Border Poll - which can only be welcomed

Does not amaze me in the least sir, the a$$holes think they have a referendum in the bag for the link before a vote is counted.

between the bridges

SF ran a poll for the name of the new bridge in Dublin, Lord Edward Carson won it by a mile... make of 'internet' polls what you will...

physicist

Politics.ie should do a border poll, it'd be interesting to see how many "call my bluff" Unionists and "we don't want ye" 26 county Divisionists there are out there.

Mattarigna

Thank god the NI SoS did rule it out. Would have being a fiasco for Nationalism otherwise.

tiocfaidh

The only legitimate reason not to want a poll is because of the cost. And let's be honest, things like administrative costs rarely influence our thoughts on The Big Issue.

The DUP is smart in apparently moving towards agreement with SF to have the poll. And Newsletter readers are simply falling in line with the DUP. The poll will show a clear majority in favour or maintaining the union, which is a victory for the DUP. And having the poll in itself is a victory for democracy. To fight against it reeks of obstructionism, so why would the DUP want to been tarnished with the obstructionist label (on top of all its other problems) when it can simply agree to a showdown that it will certainly win?

It does not surprise me that large numbers of unionists are in favour of the poll.

tiocfaidh

Thank god the NI SoS did rule it out. Would have being a fiasco for Nationalism otherwise.
Would have actually looked worse for unionism, in that they would look obstructionist on top of their very public incompetence on the flags issue. Additional fodder for all the "unionism in crises" talk....

Marcella

Politics.ie should do a border poll, it'd be interesting to see how many "call my bluff" Unionists and "we don't want ye" 26 county Divisionists there are out there.
Listening to Radio Ulster this morning, Fionnuala O'Connor mentioned a poll carried out in the 26C last November in which 69 % of respondents said they want a United Ireland - irrespective of cost. There's little doubt based on my personal experience, while there are plenty of West Brits in the south, they're very much a vocal minority.

SgtBilko

I am amazed by this....
I am amazed too. Amazed 100% of Unionists haven't shown that they are in favour of a Border Poll now.

Certainly every Unionist I've spoken too about it, and every Nationalist with half a brain, understands that a Border Poll now would be a disaster for the pro United Ireland camp.

Lobby your elected reps to put pressure on the NI SoS.

Bring it on.....PLEASE.

Last edited:
C

Castle Ray

How much does a referendum cost to hold and what budget does it come out of?

I am against holding one now for the simple reason it is anti-Belfast Agreement because there is no evidence whatsoever that one needs to be held and the only reason it is being talked about is that two sectarian parties fancy a sectarian showdown to rally their tribal troops to their parties. Why should the public purse be opened to accommodate that? It's unjustifiable.

Mickeymac

The only legitimate reason not to want a poll is because of the cost. And let's be honest, things like administrative costs rarely influence our thoughts on The Big Issue.

The DUP is smart in apparently moving towards agreement with SF to have the poll. And Newsletter readers are simply falling in line with the DUP. The poll will show a clear majority in favour or maintaining the union, which is a victory for the DUP. And having the poll in itself is a victory for democracy. To fight against it reeks of obstructionism, so why would the DUP want to been tarnished with the obstructionist label (on top of all its other problems) when it can simply agree to a showdown that it will certainly win?

It does not surprise me that large numbers of unionists are in favour of the poll.

You credit onionism with much more credit than they deserve sir.

Drogheda445

It would have been interesting to see what the actual electorate has to say rather than muppets on this site going around shouting "a BT poll/the census shows massive rise in Unionism/Nationalism, nah-nah!"

I would imagine however whatever the outcome the losing side would never hear the end of it, with more relentless bickering and obsession about maintain one-upmanship over themmuns.

Mattarigna

Would have actually looked worse for unionism, in that they would look obstructionist on top of their very public incompetence on the flags issue. Additional fodder for all the "unionism in crises" talk....
Untrue - the DUP are only too happy to call SF's idiotic bluff.

Mattarigna

How much does a referendum cost to hold and what budget does it come out of?

I am against holding one now for the simple reason it is anti-Belfast Agreement because there is no evidence whatsoever that one needs to be held and the only reason it is being talked about is that two sectarian parties fancy a sectarian showdown to rally their tribal troops to their parties. Why should the public purse be opened to accommodate that? It's unjustifiable.
Agreed. The lack of a Common civic space in the North and it's economy are obstacles that should be overcome first.

cinnte

I am amazed too. Amazed 100% of Unionists haven't shown that they are in favour of a Border Poll now.

Certainly every Unionist I've spoken too about it, and every Nationalist with half a brain, understands that a Border Poll now would be a disaster for the pro United Ireland camp.

Lobby your elected reps to put pressure on the NI SoS.

Bring it on.....PLEASE.
and that's why it will not happen,no chance of winning now.

Starfire

It is interesting that it is even being discussed - would not have been fifty years ago ;)

Popular Threads

Most Replies